Chapter 19

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 19

 

“Dad!” Sohyun cried. “Dad please, you have to be ok!”

 

“Seungsung, wake up!” Jung-Hwa cried. “I’m so sorry!”

 

“Mom!” Sohyun grabbed Jung-Hwa and pulled her back. “We can’t go in there. Let them do what they have to do.”

 

Jung-Hwa stopped running along with the gurney to see what Sohyun was talking about. She was so worried that she had forgotten she couldn’t go with him past those doors. They watched the doctors disappear behind the doors with Seungsung. The two cried in the middle of the hall not caring whether or not others stared at them.

 

The moment passed and Jung-Hwa wiped her tears away then tore herself from Sohyun’s hug. She began to storm off in the opposite direction leaving her daughter behind. She didn’t get the chance to see the confusion written on Sohyun’s face. Not once did she bother to look back.

 

Sohyun ran up to her side, trying to understand what was going on in her mother’s head. “Mom, where are you going?” No answer. “Mom, can you just stop for a second?”

 

“I’m going to get Hyuna,” Jung-Hwa said.

 

“Dad needs us here,” Sohyun said. “I’ll call her and let her know what has happened.”

 

“No, Sohyun, I need Hyuna here!”

 

Sohyun was taken back by her mother’s sudden screech. “Mom…”

 

“She works here doesn’t, she?” Jung-Hwa asked. “Where is Kim Hyuna? Doesn’t she know that her father is in critical condition?”

 

“Mom, stop!” This time Jung-Hwa was taken back by Sohyun’s voice. “You need to calm down. I’ll call Hyuna, alright?”

 

Reaching into her purse, Sohyun grabbed her phone and quickly dialed Hyuna’s number. The phone rang a couple times but went to voicemail. Her mother eyed her waiting for Hyuna to pick up.

 

“So?”

 

“She’s not picking up. Maybe she’s asleep. Its late mom, don’t make this worse.”

 

“I don’t care if it’s late! Give me that phone!” Sohyun’s phone was forcefully taken from her hand. Jung-Hwa dialed Hyuna’s number again and still it went to voicemail.

 

“Hyuna, what the hell are you doing that’s so important right now, huh? Don’t you know your father is in the hospital? Do you not care? What kind of daughter are you? Wherever you are, hurry up and see your father!”

 

Sohyun snatched her phone away once, Jung-Hwa was done speaking. She did not understand why her mother was acting like this but she didn’t want to push her any further over the edge. Sohyun sighed and bit her tongue to prevent her from questioning her mother any further. Her eyes traveled back to the door where her father had gone to. Then she saw a familiar face walk through those doors.

 

“Gayoon?” Sohyun said running up to her.

 

“Sohyun, what are you doing here?” Gayoon asked in surprise.

 

“Is Hyuna here?”

 

Gayoon shook her head. “No, her husband pulled her out of work. Sohyun, Hyuna no longer works here.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yeah, I guess Mr. Kwon wanted her to be a part of the family business. Hyuna really had no say in that. Right now, I all I know is they’re on their honeymoon. Why is something wrong?”

 

Sohyun nodded. “My mother did something and now my father is hurt. I just wanted Hyuna to know but since she’s on her honeymoon, I don’t want her to worry.”

 

“What?” Gayoon’s eyes looked down the hall where, Jung-Hwa stood, wiping away her tears in frustration. “Listen, we will take care of him. I promise you, he’ll be ok. I’ll take you and your mother into the waiting room now.”

 

***

 

Hyuna noticed that since the small talk this morning, Jiyong had been awfully silent. She watched as he stood on the balcony staring into the city. Her head hung low after realizing that she had been staring for far too long. She sighed quietly, sitting on the bed and stared anywhere else but Jiyong’s direction.

 

She knew this was going to be suffocating. Every little conversation they had would at least end up with a small argument and they would ignore each other. It was the same cycle but Hyuna knew it was for the best.

 

A ringtone caught both their attentions. Hyuna recognized the ringtone as her own. She stood up, a little too fast in Jiyong’s opinion, and searched for the phone inside her purse across the room. Before she could see who was calling, the phone was taken from her hand.

 

“Jiyong…”

 

“We’re in Paris, Hyuna,” Jiyong said. “Let’s go explore the city. Today it’s just you and me.”

 

“But…”

 

Jiyong brought a finger to her lips, “Shh… no buts.” He took her hand and led her out the door of their hotel room. His fingers slowly interlaced with hers and Hyuna could feel the warmth radiating from his body. Her eyes stared at their hands. She felt safe but she also feared this feeling and she hated this constant battle inside herself.

 

But still even with Jiyong now, it wasn’t enough. She wishes it could be forever and it felt like it could stay that way but when reality hits, it won’t. Hyuna told herself she needed to be prepared for that day because it would hurt her less.

 

Once they were out the doors of the hotel and stepped foot onto the streets of Paris, Hyuna and Jiyong never felt more alive. There were people all around them but it only felt as if they were the only two on Earth. Hyuna’s eyes traveled up to see the bright smile on Jiyong’s face as he admired the tall buildings.

 

As for Hyuna, she didn’t care for the buildings or the scenery Paris had to offer. She was happy just seeing a sincere smile on Jiyong’s face. She wanted nothing more than for that happiness to last him forever even if it’s not with her.

 

Her smile faltered when she thought back to the days when he was in that coma. Her heart broke again thinking about it, how helpless he looked and how it felt as if he wasn’t going to come back from all of that but he did. And when he left the hospital, she transferred many times but never thought she would meet him again until that night. She wanted to tell him but she was afraid of what he’d say. If she told him now, would he finally believe that she’s not the Kim Hyuna he’s been looking for?

 

I remember those days being with you.

 

I prayed for you.

 

Suddenly Hyuna stopped walking. Her grip on Jiyong’s was slowly loosening but Jiyong continued to hold on. He turned back to see Hyuna standing still with a worried look on her face. She was lost in her own thoughts again.

 

With both of his hands, he cupped her face, bringing her eyes to meet his. The gesture snapped Hyuna out of her thoughts quickly. Her eyes widened and he let his lips curl into a genuine smile.

 

“I’m sorry,” Hyuna said. “I was thinking and… It’s nothing.”

 

“Are you hungry?” Jiyong asked.

 

Hyuna shook her head, trying to distance herself from Jiyong just a bit. “We can explore first, if you want. I’ve never been to Paris before so I really don’t know where to go.”

 

“Stay with me and I promise you won’t get lost,” Jiyong said.

 

Their fingers interlaced again as they walked side by side down the bridge. It amazed Hyuna just how many locks were locked onto the bridge. How many names were on there. She watched couples add their own and she saw others unlock them and throw them into the water. Those who threw away their own locks, love must’ve hurt them because it didn’t last. Her eyes watch as the lock landed into the water with a splash. They threw their love away but forever it will remain at the bottom and it will be a reminder that their love once existed.

 

“One please,” Jiyong said.

 

“Beautiful couple,” the seller complimented.

 

“Thank you,” Jiyong said as he took the lock. He didn’t miss the blush revealing on Hyuna’s cheeks.

 

The both of them signed their names but Jiyong took it away and Hyuna didn’t question. She watched as he turned the lock around and began writing words she couldn’t see. When Jiyong finished he took the both of them to find a perfect place for the lock.

 

“There,” Jiyong said. “Now everyone will know.”

 

“You didn’t have to—”

 

“I wanted to so when we return we’ll always find it.”

 

Hyuna couldn’t deny that she wanted to read what Jiyong wrote but she decided to just leave it as it was. So as the sun began setting, the sky looked as if it was set on fire across the water.

 

Night fell over them in a blink of an eye. They stopped at Parisian cafes and small shops that Paris had to offer them. They had dinner at a fancy restaurant and Hyuna felt it was all too much but Jiyong wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

Lastly for that night, the Eiffel Tower was lighting up. Hyuna stood beneath it not believing she was there in person with Jiyong to witness this moment. It was just the both of them. Everyone else around them just simply didn’t matter.

 

“Thank you,” Hyuna said.

 

Jiyong’s head turned to look at her as she continued staring at the Eiffel Tower. “For what, exactly?”

 

“Everything.”

 

His arms pulled her body into his embrace and again to his surprise, Hyuna didn’t try to distance herself from him. He rested his head along her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her tiny waist.

 

“Are you happy?”

 

He felt Hyuna’s body still for a second but then relaxed. She looked down. Was she happy?

 

“Yes. I’m happy with you but this happiness can be taken away.”

 

“Never.” He turned her body around so that they could face each other. “I love you. It will always be you. There will never be another Kim Hyuna.”

 

“There will never be another Kwon Jiyong,” Hyuna said, her voice almost breaking. “And I’m sorry.”

 

Instead of wanting to hear what Hyuna was sorry for, Jiyong kissed her slowly and passionately. Hyuna was caught by surprise but she didn’t fight it. She wanted him to live in this happiness.

 

As they held hands once again and perhaps the last time for that day, down the streets back to their hotel, Hyuna felt the tears pricking at her eyes. Her heart felt heavy in her chest but there was happiness in her. She didn’t want this to go away ever but it has to. This was the only time she could be selfish and keep Jiyong for herself. In this moment because there’s no guarantee.

 

Hyuna was afraid to love him too much. She didn’t want to fall too deep and not be able to get back up. That’s when the first tear fell. She let out a soft whimper and quickly wiped away the tear.

 

“Why are you crying?”

 

“I’m not,” Hyuna replied.

 

“Don’t lie.”

 

“It just hurts… I’m really fine.”

 

Back inside their hotel room, Hyuna had changed into her night gown and Jiyong into his plain white t-shirt and sweats. Jiyong laid in bed with his laptop, typing away and that’s when Hyuna remembered her phone call from earlier in the afternoon. Her legs walked over to the side of the bed Jiyong was on and sat down.

 

“Jiyong, may I have my phone back?”

 

“No.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because I want all your attention.”

 

“Please give it back to me. Someone called me earlier. I need to see who it was.”

 

“Who?”

 

Hyuna nodded but she saw Jiyong’s eyes harden. He set the laptop to the side and stood up from the bed walking over to the drawer across the room. He opened it and retrieved Hyuna’s phone. He walked over and handed it to her but didn’t stop hovering over her to see who she was referring to.

 

Hyuna took a look at the screen to see five missed calls from Sohyun and seven from her step-mother. There were a series of voicemails left behind to. She knew Jiyong was watching her intently with his predator like eyes. She took a listen to the first voicemail and suddenly her breath was caught in . The second one made her heart stop completely.

 

The look on Hyuna’s face told Jiyong that something was definitely not right. Something had happened.

 

Tears welled up in her eyes and she looked up to Jiyong unable to speak but wanting to let the words out. “M—My father. He’s… He’s in the hospital. I need to go. I have to go home, Jiyong.”

 

“Hey, hey, hey, it’s ok,” Jiyong said, pulling Hyuna into his chest. “I’ll take you home right now. We can leave now. Don’t cry.”

 

“I have to go.”

 

Jiyong hated to cut their honeymoon so short but right now his wife needed to be with her father, his father-in-law needed them. He didn’t want to be selfish as to keep Hyuna all to himself. If something happened and Seungsung were to no longer be with them, Hyuna would never have gotten the chance to say goodbye and Jiyong didn’t want to take that away from her. “Alright.”

 

***

 

Tears seeped through the blindfold wrapped around Hyeona’s eyes. She bit her lip hard to keep her cries from echoing inside the small room but it was useless. She hated him so much. She hated being here.

 

The sound of the door opening stopped her cries and everything she felt quickly turned to anger. She heard the footsteps nearing and she was ready to bite if that bastard was going to do anything else to her.

 

She felt her blindfold being lifted and she wanted to scream and curse at him. “I’ll kill you if you—”

 

“Shh…” Jihyun hushed with a finger pressed to her lips.

 

Hyeona’s eyes widened and she was a loss for words. “How did you—when?”

 

“That’s not important right now,” Jihyun said. “We’ll talk after I get you the hell out of here.”

 

Jihyun began untying the knots that held Hyeona onto the bed. She hurried with every single one of them, keeping an eye on the door in case that man came back.

 

“I owe you one,” Hyeona chuckled.

 

“Yeah you do,” Jihyun chuckled back as she finished the last rope. “Ok, can you walk? Are you ok?”

 

Hyeona groaned, trying to push herself up, “Do I look ok to you?”

 

“No.”

 

“Luckily, I’m a fighter and a survivor, it’s going to take a lot more to keep me down,” Hyeona said. “Let’s get out of here before he comes back.”

 

The two quietly hurried down the stairs of the unfamiliar home. It was quiet too quiet. Hyeona knew that Jaejoong usually leaves for a long period of time and it was always around the same time each night. She just didn’t know when exactly but whatever they were doing now, they needed to hurry before he returns.

 

As they opened the front door, Hyeona’s worst nightmare stood behind it. Both Jihyun and Hyeona’s mouth dropped to the floor. Jaejoong didn’t expect this really. He eyed both woman with a look a disapproval but then a sadistic smirk curved on his lip and Hyeona knew that look better than anyone.

 

“You brought a friend,” Jaejoong teased.

 

Hyeona tried to shut the door quickly but Jaejoong pushed back. The two were fighting against each other and Jaejoong was amazed at how much strength Hyeona had after all he did to her.

 

“Go!” Hyeona shouted. “Find a way out and I’ll find you!”

 

“No, Hyeona!” Jihyun said. “I’m not leaving you!”

 

“If you don’t go, you’ll be stuck here too! I’ll find you! Now go!”

 

Jihyun ran like she was told. She believed Hyeona would make it out of there. No doubt about it.

 

Hyeona was losing the fight against, Jaejoong and he smirked knowing that any second now she would give up. He gave one last push and it pushed both the door and Hyeona back. She stumbled onto the marble floor and began crawling back. He enjoyed this very much.

 

“How did you little friend get in here?”

 

Hyeona continued crawling back as Jaejoong stalked her. “I told you I’ll get out of here, didn’t I?”

 

“You’re still here, darling.”

 

“Not. For. Long.”

 

Hyeona quickly stood up and dashed past Jaejoong. It caught him by surprise. She made it out the front door but he wasn’t going to let her leave that easily. No, he wasn’t going to let her leave him at all. The more she ran from him, the more it amused him. She was fast, but he was faster. He grabbed onto her arm and pulled her into his embrace.

 

“Let me go!”

 

“Now, baby, don’t be like this. Let’s get you back into your room.”

 

“No, I’m not going back there!”

 

Hyeona broke out from his hold and slapped him hard. She took the opportunity to run again but he was still too fast for her.

 

“I told you, you’re mine and you will never leave me.”

 

“You’re crazy!”

 

“Crazy?” Jaejoong laughed. “We’re both crazy, don’t you think?”

 

Hyeona pressed both hands onto his chest to push him away but he held onto her tightly. “Ah, let me go! You sick bastard!”

 

“We’re gonna go back inside quietly ok, baby?” Jaejoong said. “Or do you want to do it here publicly?”

 

Suddenly Jaejoong’s body fell onto the grass with a thud. Hyeona broke away to see Jihyun dropping the log beside Jaejoong’s now unconscious body.

 

“Let’s go!”

 

Hyeona and Jihyun both ran to the car and drove off quickly without looking back. Hyeona breathed fast and heavily. She examined the bruises and marks on her body and groaned. It hurt to touch them.

 

“How did you find me?” Hyeona asked.

 

“When you didn’t come back that night, I went to the bar to get information from the bartender there. He told me some pretty boy took you home.”

 

“How’d you find out it was him?”

 

“Lucky guess. I saw him one night while waiting for you to come back and I guessed he must be pretty boy. Your type anyways. You didn’t return for so long I knew something was up. I followed him and maybe sort of broke in while he left earlier.”

 

Hyeona chuckled, “I love you, you know that?”

 

“Yeah I better be loved by you.”

 

“Momma was right, don’t trust pretty boys. Lesson learned.”

 

“You think?”

 

“I know better now. I will never let anyone do that to me again.”

 

 

 

 

A/N: Not edited.