Chapter 9

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 9

 

Hyuna flattened out her black skirt with the palm of her hands. Her fingers began buttoning the last gold buttons of her sheer white button up shirt. When her eyes diverted towards the mirror that same feeling overcame her again. Her eyes, nose, lips, everything. Was there really someone else out there who looked like her?

 

Looking away, Hyuna pushed the thought far back into her mind. She shook her head slightly with a sigh. That was a crazy thought. She went towards the door and took her exit. Her hand reached for the door knob closing it quietly behind her. As she walked down the stairs, Hyuna could hear voices coming from the living room. She recognized the voices that belonged to her parents and sister but was unfamiliar with the others. Her steps slowed and she stopped to listen. There were laughs and they were still talking but Hyuna couldn’t make out what they were saying. She continue walking down.

 

Far down the hall, Hyuna walked and the voices and laughter grew louder. Hyuna stood by the arch connecting the hall and the living room. From the corner of her eyes she saw Jiyong with a blank expression on his face. Next to him was his mother laughing along with her parents who sat across from them.

 

Jiyong noticed a something moving from the corner of his eyes. He looked up and made eye contact with Hyuna who quickly looked away.

 

Seungsung and Jung-Hwa noticed that Jiyong had been focused on something else. They both turned to look over their shoulder and Sohyun followed.

 

“Hyuna,” Seungsung said. Hyuna looked up at the sound of her name. “Come sit.”

 

“I would love to father but I am running late,” Hyuna said.

 

“It won’t take long,” Jung-Hwa said giving her a stern look.

 

Hyuna looked to Jiyong who didn’t seem too fazed that she would try anything to avoid him and his presence. He smirked at her before turning his face away. She then looked to his mother and saw the innocence and gleam in her eyes. She couldn’t say no when Eunju had come all this way after an injury. The woman should’ve been resting.

 

“Yes,” Hyuna said entering the room like the obedient daughter she is. She bowed politely to Eunju and Jiyong before taking a seat next to Sohyun.

 

“Please, no need for that,” Eunju chuckled.

 

“Are you going to tell her now?” Sohyun asked and Hyuna’s brows furrowed with confusion written on her face. Jiyong scoffed to himself silently as he saw the look on Hyuna’s face.

 

“Tell me what?” Hyuna asked with a nervous chuckle.

 

“Your mother and I decided to give your hand in marriage to Jiyong,” Seungsung said.

 

Did Hyuna hear correctly? Hand in marriage? Jiyong? Her eyes slowly traveled to Jiyong who showed no emotion to the announcement. He kept giving her the same expressionless look. She wanted him to say something, anything to keep all of this from happening. But when Jiyong didn’t, Hyuna decided to instead.

 

“With all due respect, Mrs. Kwon,” Hyuna looked Jiyong dead in the eye, “Jiyong, I will not marry you.” Again, Jiyong didn’t show any expression and Hyuna couldn’t understand why.

 

“Oh, why not?” Eunju asked.

 

“I—”

 

“Mr. and Mrs. Kim if you don’t mind may I have a word with Hyuna?” Jiyong asked.

 

“Of course,” Jung-Hwa said.

 

Hyuna stood up taking her leave from the living room and entered the garden with Jiyong following closely behind her. She stopped walking for a second to think everything through. She could feel Jiyong’s eyes on her. It felt intimidating to face him now but she had to say what she needed to say. Her body turned to face Jiyong with much anger and confusion in her eyes.

 

“What are you planning?” Hyuna asked.

 

“You think I wanted I this?” Jiyong asked back. “Why you?” Hyuna looked at him with fear now. The tone in his voice had changed and it sent shivers down her spine. “Why did my father choose you?” He chuckled, thinking about it. “You’re a good liar. A two-faced woman.”

 

“Jiyong!”

 

“Is it because of your boyfriend?” Jiyong asked adding more insults. “You must love him very much. He can give you everything, am I right? Or have you moved onto another already?”

 

“You’re too much!” Hyuna said. “You know nothing about me!”

 

“I know what I need to know,” Jiyong said taking a step towards Hyuna. “Before, when you thought I had nothing, you left me. Now that you see who I really am, you’ve suddenly forced yourself back into my life! It’s such a coincidence just how fast your parents became friends with mine. You lied to me then. You’re still lying to me now.”

 

“Stop—”

 

“I’m not done!” Jiyong shouted over her frail voice. “Kim Hyuna…” His eyes traced up and down her body before scoffing in disgust. “Such an obedient daughter? Oh no. Your parents don’t know you at all.” He started chuckling thinking about little act she had put on. He leaned close to Hyuna until his lips were near her ear. “What would your father think if he knew what his precious daughter has done with me?”

 

Enough was enough. Jiyong was accusing her of things she really had no part of. Hyuna slapped Jiyong’s cheek with a hard right palm.

 

“You’re right,” Hyuna said wanting him to have the satisfaction. If he did, maybe he’d stop. “But I didn’t force myself back into your life. I was never a part of your life and I will never be.” She didn’t know where she was getting all this fight from but she could tell it was angering the man before her very eyes. “You don’t want to marry me. You only want to do what your father asked of you. I can understand that but I will not be the one to stay by your side like he wants.”

 

“Why can’t you marry me?” Jiyong spat back angrily.

 

Hyuna’s lips parted to speak but nothing came out. Looking into Jiyong’s eyes, she could see that he was really hurt. Those eyes told a story, a story she was never a part of. Hyuna’s eyes glanced down for a moment. She didn’t know how to explain this anymore than she already had.

 

Because I’m not the girl you’re looking for.

 

“Why must I?” Hyuna asked back. “I don’t love you. You don’t love me. What’s a marriage without love?”

 

At this point, Jiyong knew Hyuna was using any excuse and any reason as to why they should not wed. He didn’t care anymore.

 

“It’s hell,” Jiyong said.

 

And I do love you.

 

But he didn’t say it. He turned his back coldly to Hyuna.

 

“I guess we’ve come to our conclusion.”

 

“I guess we have,” Jiyong said, balling his fist tightly at his side.

 

Hyuna watched as Jiyong walked further and further away from her. There was nothing more to say. She knew what she wanted. She knew what he needed. They were both wrong for each other. He loved someone else, someone who looked like her. Another Hyuna was out there somewhere. She is the one he is looking for.

 

Jiyong stormed into the living room. When he saw everyone staring at him, he calmed himself down. “We should go now.”

 

“Already?” Jung-Hwa asked.

 

“How did it go?” Eunju asked.

 

Jiyong shook his head and his mother received the message.

 

Jung-Hwa shook her head vigorously. “No, no, no, Jiyong. Give her some time. She’ll rethink her decision. We’ll talk to her.”

 

Jiyong nodded.

 

“Seungsung, Jung-Hwa, I believe this news was a shock to Hyuna,” Eunju said. “It was all too sudden. I do not mind giving her some time to think it through. I will never force anyone to do anything they don’t want. If in the end, her decision is still the same, I will oblige by it.”

 

“Thank you,” Seungsung said.

 

Without another word Jiyong helped his mother up and walked her to the car. Every one of the Kim’s bid them goodbye. All except Hyuna. As Jiyong settled into the car, he saw Hyuna in the doorframe looking out at them sadly.  

 

“Are you ready?” Teddy asked.

 

“Drive.”

 

The four of them watched the car drive off. Once it was out of sight, Jung-Hwa turned to Hyuna.

 

“What did you say to him?” Jung-Hwa asked. “Men like Jiyong don’t come around every day. There are not many like him. Rich, young, and handsome.”

 

“I made my choice,” Hyuna said. “Please respect my decision.”

 

“Your choice is wrong,” Jung-Hwa said. “My Sohyun will gladly take your place if given the opportunity.”

 

Sohyun shook her head. “My heart already belongs to Jihoon.”

 

“Enough,” Seungsung said. “Hyuna whatever you decide, it’ll be ok.”

 

Hyuna nodded. “I have to go now.”

 

Hyuna walked off quickly before she could be questioned any further. It was noon that she was supposed to meet up with Gayoon for lunch. After the little delay, she had about fifteen minutes to get there. Luckily the restaurant wasn’t too far from where she lived. There was no need to catch a cab. Walking would give her time to think.

 

Her heart ached for Jiyong. She was sorry for breaking his heart after someone else had already done so but in order for him to let go of the past, he needed to hear it. If the Hyuna he loved then left him for the reason he said then didn’t he lie to her also? More questions began filling her head.

 

Once she reached the restaurant, Gayoon had texted her that she would arrive a few minutes late due to traffic. Hyuna walked inside. She planned to sit by the window and wait until she saw Gayoon but someone had call her name.

 

“Hyuna?”

 

Hyuna turned around and saw Jihoon sitting alone. He stood up and Hyuna walked over to him with a thin smile. She waved a hand then looked down to the floor.

 

“Jihoon…” So this is where he disappeared to.

 

“Are you here by yourself?”

 

“I’m waiting on my friend,” Hyuna said.

 

“Me too,” Jihoon said. “Why don’t you sit with me, I’m lonely.”

 

“I’m ok,” Hyuna said refusing his offer.

 

“Oh come on, it won’t hurt to sit with your sister’s boyfriend, right?” Jihoon took Hyuna’s hand and dragged her to the table. He sat her down first before settling across from her. He smiled at her. “I see you’re uncomfortable to be with me.”

 

“It’s not that,” Hyuna said. “I’m uncomfortable seeing you with my sister.”

 

Jihoon leaned forward putting both elbows on the table. His eyes sparked with interest to hear what Hyuna had to say. “Oh? And why is that, may I ask?”

 

Hyuna sighed. “My sister is young. She should be focusing on her studies. Not love. You’ll distract her. Hold her back because all she can think about is you.”

 

“You’re saying I should leave her?”

 

“I never said that,” Hyuna defended. “I’m not against your love for my sister or my sister’s love for you. If she’s happy then I am. I don’t want her to be broken hearted. I want her to set a future for herself and if you’re going to be a part of it, I have to accept it.”

 

Jihoon took a hold of Hyuna’s hand. “I would never hurt Sohyun. I care for her. I truly do. I trust your judgement. I may not be the best for Sohyun but she’s the best for me. Please don’t interfere in our relationship.”

 

“It’s between you two,” Hyuna said. “I am not a part of your relationship. I have no say. I can only state what and how I feel. I would never come between you two. I have no intentions to.”

 

Jihoon smiled. “Thank you, Hyuna.”

 

Hyuna smiled back. She pulled back her hand. The door opened and in came Gayoon.

 

“Hyuna!” Gayoon shouted.

 

Both Hyuna and Jihoon turned to her direction.

 

“I should go now,” Hyuna said.

 

“I can take you back home after,” Jihoon said. “I promise I will find an apartment soon, Hyuna that way I won’t be a burden to you and your family.”

 

“Don’t think of yourself like that,” Hyuna said. “You’re Sohyun’s happiness.”

 

Hyuna walked away to Gayoon. Together the two were escorted to their table in another different room.

 

“Who’s that?” Gayoon asked.

 

“Sohyun’s boyfriend,” Hyuna replied.

 

“Ok, something’s up, tell me.”

 

After ordering their meals, Hyuna told Gayoon everything from this morning to now.

 

“An arranged marriage?” Gayoon asked.

 

“Yeah,” Hyuna said.

 

“How long do you think they planned it?”

 

That question didn’t occur to Hyuna. Suddenly she set down her utensils. She didn’t feel like eating anymore. Gayoon looked at her worriedly.

 

“I don’t know,” Hyuna answered honestly.

 

***

 

Jiyong stood in his bedroom staring out the doors to his balcony with his mother by his side. Together the two of them looked at the sun setting in the horizon.

 

“Jiyong…”

 

Jiyong sighed. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

 

Eunju nodded knowing how upset and heartbroken her son was. It hurt her because there was nothing she could do to mend his heart.

 

Jiyong leaned against the frame of the door with one arm holding his body weight. He looked down to the floor lost in his thoughts. Eunju watched her son with so much admiration.

 

“What did happen between you and Hyuna many years ago?” Eunju asked.

 

Jiyong stayed still. He didn’t bother looking up at his mother to answer her questions. “Too much for me to want to say. Too many memories for me to ever forget.”

 

“But you love her, don’t you?”

 

To that Jiyong could not answer. Maybe it was because he didn’t want to say the truth. He didn’t want to admit it to anyone, not even to himself.

 

There was a sudden entrance at the door capturing both Jiyong and Eunju’s attention. Jiyong locked eyes with Teddy who walked towards them, fixing the cuffs of his white dress shirt and his black satin tie.

 

“The marriage is on.”

 

A/N: Probably gonna re-write, fix and edit this chapter when I get a chance. It was sort of rushed cause I just wanted to update this fanfic. Well as usual not edited. Oh and Hyuna doesn't drive which is why she takes cabs and or walks.