Chapter 30

Love The Way You Lie

Chapter 30

 

To say that Eunju and Lydia were surprised by Hyeona’s sudden outburst was an understatement. They were shocked and even frightened by the sight of the frantic female. Both of them stared at Hyeona confused and frightened, unable to grasp what was going on. 

 

“Help me, please!” Hyeona cried.

 

Eunju nodded slowly. “Ok. Ok. Hyeona, what’s going on? What happened?” She wrapped her arms around the blonde. Hyeona cried onto her shoulder. She looked to Lydia who was just as confused as she was in the moment.

 

“Hyeona, what happened?” Lydia asked.

 

Hyeona wasn’t able to stop her sobs or her tears. She pulled away from Eunju shaking her head frantically. Her lips were quivering as she tried to speak but nothing came out. Only the sounds of whimpers and crying. 

 

“Hyeona, please, we can’t help you unless you speak to us,” Eunju said.

 

“Dead...” Hyeona cried. “My father. He’s dead.” 

 

Eunju gasped. “W—Where is he? Hyeona, where is your father?” 

 

She followed Hyeona as she lead them upstairs to where Choong-Min’s body lie. Upon the sight, Eunju felt her heart drop. Hyeona’s cries only became louder. 

 

Eunju ran to the body, rolling Choong-Min over. He wasn’t breathing. She searched for a pulse but there was none. It had been too late. With the back of her hand, Eunju quickly wiped her tears away. She stood up and looked to Lydia. 

 

“Ok, get her out of here, Lydia,” Eunju said. She pulled out her phone and dialed 911. “Hello? Please I...”

 

“Hyeona!” Lydia screamed.

 

The second Eunju turned around she saw Hyeona’s body collapse onto the floor. Her eyes widened. Everything in that moment was silent. She didn’t even remember screaming or shouting to the dispatcher. She couldn’t even remember how she sounded like. Horror struck through her. Everything else just happened. 

 

Hyeona’s eyes fluttered open. The blurriness of her vision cleared with every blink. She faintly saw the outline of a face staring down at her. Once her eyes were able to focus, her lips tugged up happily. 

 

“Hey, how are you feeling?” Jiyong asked as he shuffled closer to Hyeona. She leaned into his chest as close as she could. His warmth enveloped her and she smiled faintly. 

 

“I feel like I’m living an endless nightmare,” Hyeona said. “Is this real or am I dreaming? Are you really here with me?” 

 

Jiyong gently pressed a kiss onto the crown of Hyeona’s head. His fingers combed through her hair in a gentle and calm manner. His chin rested above her head as he smiled sweetly enjoying the moment. “I’m here. I’m not leaving you.” 

 

“Good,” Hyeona said. 

 

“I’m so sorry, baby,” Jiyong said as he pressed a kiss onto Hyeona’s head. 

 

“I couldn’t save him. It was too late. It’s all my fault. If I was with him I would’ve been able to save him. Jiyong...” 

 

“Don’t say that. Don’t blame yourself. What happened wasn’t your fault.” 

 

“I have no one anymore. You’re all I have now, Jiyong.” 

 

Those words affected Jiyong so much. It was because they were true. So he held Hyeona closer, kissing her softly as he let his few tears fall. 

 

Jiyong waited until Hyeona fell back asleep before exiting the room. Jiyong knew that her mind must’ve been running back and forth between the traumatic event that occurred earlier. He understood that Hyeona would need time to heal. Times like these can’t be forgotten easily. 

 

“The doctor’s said Choong-Min passed from a heart attack,” Eunju sighed from the railing of the stairs. “It’s tragic, really.” 

 

Jiyong stood beside his mother and stared in the same direction as her. Outside the wide window, the moon lit the sky along with the stars. 

 

“I can’t abandon her,” Jiyong said. 

 

Eunju turned to her son. “I never asked you to and I would never ask you to do that. If you think that I was disappointed in you for your mistake and your choice then I’m telling you now, I’m not. You are free to make your own choices, Jiyong. I can’t stop you. But if you’re questioning whether you chose the right person then maybe you it is you who is disappointed in yourself.” 

 

Jiyong kept his head low. He didn’t know how to respond. It was as if this mother already knew every single one of his thoughts. 

 

“I will arrange the funeral preparations for Choong-Min. It’s the least we could do. Hyeona should be able to lay her father to rest.” Her hand gently pat Jiyong on the shoulder. She smiled at her son but Jiyong couldn’t spare her a glance. He was afraid that she would see the hurt in his eyes. “Goodnight, Jiyong.”

 

***

 

The following morning, Seungsung received news of Choong-Min’s tragic death. It came as a shock to him. How everything changed within a 24 hour time frame.  

 

“Yes, we’ll be there. Thank you, Eunju.” 

 

Sohyun watched as her father hung up the phone. She didn’t miss the expression on his face as he sat the phone down beside him. “What’s wrong, dad?” 

 

“Hyeona’s stepfather passed away,” Seungsung said. “Heart attack.” 

 

“What?” Sohyun asked in disbelief. 

 

Hyuna heard every word from the archway. Her expression changed as she thought of her sister. “I don’t know what to say right now,” Hyuna said. “I’m very sorry for her loss.” 

 

“Funeral services will be held later on today. We will go pay our respects. He did raise your sister.” 

 

Sohyun groaned. “I could never consider Hyeona my sister.” 

 

“Sohyun...” Hyuna began.

 

“No, Hyuna. You’re my sister. Hyeona is nothing to me. As I am to her. You know that’s true.” Sohyun walked away hoping that Hyuna would understand where she was coming from. A part of Hyuna did but again Hyeona was their sister too. Raised apart, they were still blood.

 

“I’ll be there later, father. I’m gonna finish up some stuff at work and I’ll see you both there.” 

 

“Ok. Be safe, dear.” 

 

Work was an excuse for Hyuna. She didn’t have to be there but it helped clear her mind for a bit. In all honesty, she went because she was given an opportunity. One where she felt she didn’t have the heart to give up. One where she could restart everything. Not everyone knew yet. She still hasn’t made a final decision. 

 

The thought of being at the funeral worried her. Seeing Jiyong and Hyeona worried her. But paying respects to the man who raised her twin and loved her mother was more important than worrying. 

 

With the paperwork in her hands, Hyuna re-read it over and over again as she walked down the hallway. Was she really going to do this? 

 

A man appeared in front of her suddenly. She tried to get around him but every move she made was blocked by his body. Hyuna looked up and recognized the man. 

 

“Small world, isn’t it?” Jaejoong asked. 

 

“What do you want?” Hyuna asked. “I’m working right now.” 

 

“What are you doing after work?” 

 

Hyuna didn’t answer. Her foot took one step forward before Jaejoong pulled her back with a harsh grip. 

 

“I’m attending a funeral,” Hyuna said giving in. 

 

“Ah, shall I come along?” Jaejoong teased. 

 

“Why come when you have no business of being there?” Hyuna asked. 

 

“To simply pay my respects.” 

 

Hyuna scoffed. “Do you even know that person? Please let’s save ourselves some time and not meet again.” 

 

“Oooh, feisty, huh? Jiyong must—“

 

Hyuna was quick to cut him off. “Jiyong and I are no longer together. Anything business you have with him should only be dealt with him. Leave me out of this.” 

 

A grin appeared on Jaejoong’s face. He looked down to Hyuna’s hand and to his surprise there wasn’t a ring anymore. 

 

“Already? That was so quick. I—“

 

“Mr. Kim, Miss Song is awake now, you may see her now,” Gayoon informed as she came over to the two of them.

 

“Your fiancé is waiting for you, Mr. Kim,” Hyuna said. “Don’t keep her waiting.” 

 

Jaejoong smirked down at Hyuna’s strong act. He leaned close to her and Hyuna retracted back. “I’ll surely be back for you.”

 

Hyuna glared at the man. She watched as he entered the hospital room and disappeared as the door shut. Incidents like this made it clear. She would leave. 

 

Hyuna turned in the documents without another thought. This was for the best. For herself and her family. 

 

She looked up to the clock hanging on the hospital wall. The sounds of it kept getting louder and louder in her head. It was all a reminder as the minute hand moved forward. She would soon have to face her ex-husband and her twin sister. It wasn’t about them. Hyuna kept trying to remind herself. The past few days she tried to erase Jiyong from her memories. The harder she tried, the more she thought about him. 

 

The sun was had almost completely gone down by the time Hyuna exited work. She had already changed into the proper clothes for she was heading straight to the funeral. Hyuna caught a taxi and climbed in. The driver there was silent but Hyuna was full of thoughts. Moments later they arrived. 

 

As she climbed out of the taxi, she felt a pair of hands grab her from behind. Her body stilled, horrified by the situation she was being placed in. 

 

“What are you—“ 

 

“Shh...” Jaejoong slurred. 

 

Hyuna’s eyes widened and her heart began beating frantically. There was a strong smell of alcohol lingering from Jaejoong. His weight was falling onto her. 

 

“Get off of me!”

 

“Let’s go.” Jaejoong’s hand wrapped around Hyuna’s wrist, forcefully dragging her along with him. 

 

“I’m not going anywhere with you!” Hyuna screamed. Her hands clawed at him with all the strength her body could give. Her eyes didn’t give away from his death stare but she felt herself shrinking from fear. In that moment she hated herself for being so weak. 

 

The way his eyes dilated and the smell of alcohol showed that he had indeed been drinking. That menacing look had Hyuna afraid of what this man is capable of. 

 

“Having you been drinking?” Hyuna asked. 

 

“Why?” Jaejoong laughed. “Does it matter?” He continued pulling Hyuna with him, ignoring her cries. 

 

“You followed me here?” Hyuna asked horrified. “What about your fiancé?”

 

“What about her?!” Jaejoong shouted making Hyuna shrink back in fear. “She can’t stand the sight of me now. You know what I can’t stand the sight of her either.” His fingers began digging into Hyuna’s arms. 

 

“You’re hurting me,” Hyuna groaned trying her best to shake Jaejoong loose without upsetting him even further.

 

The small commotion outside had guests worried. Jiyong took it upon himself to see what was happening. As he stepped out the front doors of the funeral home, he felt his breath getting caught in this throat.

 

His eyes must’ve been playing tricks on him because right now the sight before him made him angry. “Jaejoong, let her go,” Jiyong said.

 

Jaejoong stopped. He turned and welcomed Jiyong with a delighted smirk on his face. “Why do you still care for someone who no longer has any relations with you?” Jaejoong sneered. He tightened his grip on Hyuna’s waist, pulling her closer to him forcefully. 

 

“Ah,” she groaned painfully from the harsh grip. She tried her best to be separated from the man but his fingers were digging deep into her side like thorns. Her face contorted with pain but she kept her eyes away from Jiyong. 

 

“Why so quiet now?” Jaejoong mocked. “I don’t mean to be disrespectful but we have a long night ahead of us.” He leaned into Hyuna with a menacing smirk that only grew wider. “Isn’t that right?” 

 

Hyuna squirmed away, shuddering at the man’s thoughts. She was truly disgusted and scared. 

 

“Jiyong, what’s going on?” Hyeona asked as she stepped outside. Her body froze completely, eyes widening with horror. It was him. It couldn’t be. 

 

Jaejoong and Hyuna both looked up at Hyeona. Jaejoong’s eyes slowly trailed from Hyuna to Hyeona. He was drunk, but he knew he wasn’t seeing things. There was definitely two of them with the same face. Only one had the same gold locks he remembered from long ago.

 

“Well isn’t this something?” Jaejoong said. 

 

“You’re not welcomed here,” Hyeona spoke. “This is a private funeral you are disturbing. Please leave or we’ll have to call the police.”

 

“I’ll certainly leave.” Jaejoong hurried off with Hyuna who fought to hold him back. He dragged her along with him as if she were nothing but a puppet and he was the master. 

 

“Let go!” Hyuna cried. 

 

“Hyuna!” Jiyong shouted after them. 

 

Jaejoong forcefully shoved Hyuna into his car. He quickly came around to the other side and drove off before anyone could try and stop him. 

 

“Please stop,” Hyuna begged. “You’re drunk. You shouldn’t be driving.” 

 

Jaejoong purposely swerved to the side earning himself a terrified scream from Hyuna. He let out an amused laugh finding all of this funny. 

 

“I’m begging you, please stop.”

 

“You can beg me later.” 

 

The sound of a cell phone ringing went off. Jaejoong reached into his pocket and answered it immediately after seeing who it was that was calling.

 

“Jaejoong, if you do anything to Hyuna I swear—“

 

“You’ll what? You can’t do anything to me. You never could.” 

 

“Jiyong—“ 

 

“Shut up!” Jaejoong shouted at Hyuna.

 

“Hyuna, I’m gonna find you,” Jiyong said. “We’re coming.” 

 

“Watch out!” Hyuna screamed as the sound of horns blaring and the sight of bright white headlights came into view. 

 

There was a loud screeching sound coming from the other side of the line. Jiyong couldn’t tell what it was at first until he heard the horn blaring and what sounded like glass shattering. 

 

“Hyuna? Hyuna? Jaejoong? Hyuna, can you hear me?” 

 

***

 

There was a groggy feeling taking control and Hyuna didn’t know why. Her eyes were open, she was sure but she couldn’t see anything but the bright lights above her that were clearing in her vision. Then a face came into view. A face she knew but could not make out fully just yet. He was speaking to her but she couldn’t hear. 

 

“Hyuna?” Seungsung’s voice ranged. “What happened?” 

 

Hyuna snapped out of her trance. She looked around her and realized where she was. She suddenly remembered what happened. It all came back to her. That terrifying event.

 

Hyuna pulled at her IVs. She tried to get out of the hospital bed. Her father placed his hands into hers to stop Hyuna from doing anymore. 

 

“Whoa, hey, hey, hey, easy,” Seungsung said. “Do you remember what happened to you?” 

 

“No, I want to leave,” Hyuna said struggling. “I don’t want to be here. Please I want to go.” 

 

“Hyuna, stop,” Jiyong said. 

 

That’s when Hyuna fell apart. She began crying. Was he there the entire time? Her eyes met with his and he felt the intensity of the emotions behind those brown eyes. “I want to go home. I don’t want to stay here any longer. Why can’t you let me go?” 

 

There was a meaning behind those last few words and Jiyong knew it. He stood still unable to speak. His eyes couldn’t tear away from Hyuna’s wet ones. He felt numb, unable to say or do anything else but look into those irises. 

 

“I’m ok,” Hyuna sobbed. “I’m not hurt. I can still walk and talk. Please I want to leave.” 

 

Jiyong rushed over to Hyuna. He pulled her into his embrace where she sobbed into his chest. He ran his fingers through her hair. “I’m sorry. It’s my fault this happened to you. Hyuna... I’m so sorry.” 

 

“Where is he?” Hyuna asked. 

 

Jiyong pulled back a little confused and a bit taken back by Hyuna’s question. He let out a small chuckle. “You should be worrying about yourself. Don’t worry about Jaejoong.” 

 

“Where is he?” Hyuna asked again. When Jiyong didn’t give an answer. She tried to leave the bed. Jiyong held Hyuna down. “I want to see him.” 

 

“No,” Seungsung said. “Now is not the time.” 

 

“He hurt you, Hyuna,” Jiyong said. 

 

“You’ve hurt me too,” Hyuna reminded bitterly. “Or did you forget?” 

 

Jiyong faltered a bit by that because it was true. He would never forget. His hold on Hyuna slowly released as soon as she laid back onto the bed. 

 

“If I can’t see him, can you tell me how he is? I can’t live with myself if he’s dead, Jiyong so please tell me he’s alright.” 

 

“Jaejoong is in critical condition. He suffered more than you. Doctor’s say he fractured his neck and spine. He may not be able to walk again.” 

 

“Hyuna, this isn’t your fault,” Seungsung said. “Don’t you dare blame yourself for that man’s actions.” 

 

Hyuna nodded her head but accepting that it wasn’t her fault still couldn’t stop her tears from falling. Jiyong gently wiped them away with a brush of his thumb. Hyuna looked up to him innocently and gently removing his hand. Jiyong wanted to hold onto her hand but when it slipped out of his reach, all he did was ball his fist to the side of his body. 

 

*** 

 

Inside Jaejoong’s hospital room. He lied awake. He was angry. He couldn’t be angry at anyone but himself. He did this to himself. 

 

“You’re so stupid, Jaejoong,” he cried. “Why?!” 

 

Just then he heard the door open and close. The sound of heels tapped on the floor. He looked over to where the door was and there she stood in front of him.

 

“Remember me?” 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Not edited. Again I am very busy now so please forgive me for these slow/late updates.