Chapter 8

When I Needed You Most

The elementary school got out at 2:46, which was a weird time but that’s how it worked. There were parents lined up outside the gates ready to greet their children after their hard day of being children. Baekhyun kept glancing at his watch, waiting for the sea of small beings to rush out and preparing himself for the mad dash to find his specific small being. 
He had received a call from Taeyeon earlier that day, begging him to pick Jongsu up and drop him off at home. Jongdae had to be at home to get some home health care stuff for his mom, and Taeyeon had some emergency with the moving van. He agreed to pick up Jongsu and she thanked him profusely, promising him dinner to return the favor. 
Baekhyun wasn’t sure how he felt about that. He was excited, for some reason the promise of a meal alone with Taeyeon was not a bad idea by any stretch of the imagination. Baekhyun wasn’t sure how he felt about Taeyeon. He knew his heart fluttered every time she spoke or was close to him. He knew she was cute and nice and funny. He knew he liked seeing her smile. 
He also had thought he was gay but that was a worry for another time. His current concern was how he was going to pick out Jongsu from the mass of five to ten-year-olds that made their exodus from the school at the same time. 2:46 hit and a monotone bell went off and all the children in the world it seemed rushed out of the gates. 
Thankfully the search was a two party system and Jongsu found Baekhyun before Baekhyun had even begun to scan the small faces. “HYUNG!” He rushed up and leaped into Baekhyun’s arms. Baekhyun spun him around as the child giggled. 
“Hey, buddy! Surprised to see me?”
“Yeah!” Baekhyun set Jongsu down but continued to hold the small hand 
“We are going home is that okay?” 
“Yeah!” 
“Great!” They began walking. As they made the short walk from Jongsu’s school to Jongsu’s house Jongsu filled Baekhyun in on every seemingly meaningless event that had occurred that day. From the lunch (they weren’t allowed to trade but Sooyoung had the juice Jongsu wanted and he didn’t really like the crackers Jongdae packed him), to the cool paper he wrote on what he wanted to be when he grew up (an astronaut). 
Soon enough they were back at Jongdae’s house. There was a suspiciously large amount of cars parked outside. Jongsu ran in first, taking off his shoes his backpack and his jacket in one fell swoop and bouncing through the house to find a snack. Baekhyun came in slower, looking around. 
“Uncle! We’re home!” Jongsu yelled as he ran laps around the house. The boundless energy of childhood always amazed Baekhyun. 
“We’re in the kitchen” Jongdae’s voice rung out. Jongdae ran up and grabbed Baekhyun’s hand, dragging him to the kitchen. Seated around the cluttered dining table were three people. Jongdae, looking good as ever. His hair was tussled and he had on a simple sweater that looked cozy and warm. Boyfriend material, Baekhyun thought before quickly pushing that thought out of his head and focusing on the other two men. 
One was tall and looked serious. He had slicked back hair and an air of professionalism. He was attractive but in more of a hot dad sort of way. The other was a smaller man with high cheekbones and blond hair. 
“Baekhyun?” Jongdae said in surprise, Jongsu ran to the fridge but when he saw the two strangers in the house he got shy and hid behind Jongdae’s chair. 
“Oh yeah, Taeyeon had something come up with the moving company and asked me to pick up Jongsu.” Baekhyun explained. 
“Are you a close family friend?” The dad looking man asked. 
“Um…yeah.” Baekhyun looked at Jongdae for answers but Jongdae was focused on his hands. 
“How long have you known the Kim family?”
“I’m sorry who are you?” Baekhyun didn’t want to sound rude but Jongdae looked uncomfortable and Baekhyun didn’t like that. 
“Oh, of course, sorry,” They stood up, “I’m Choi Siwon I work with the police. This is Kim Kibum he is with Child Protective Services.” They extended their hands but Baekhyun moved to stand behind Jongdae, a hand almost protectively on Jongsu. 
“You know Taemin don’t you?” Kibum said, his voice was high and scratchy, “I lived with him for a while and I think I’ve seen you at parties! Small world”
“Yeah,” Baekhyun said. Jongsu tugged on Jongdae’s shirt and whispered something to him. Kibum stood up and went over, kneeling next to Jongsu. 
“You must be Jongsu. I’ve heard a lot about you” He said in what Baekhyun guessed was supposed to be a warm comforting tone of voice. “You can call me Key if you want. How are you doing?”
“Good,” Jongsu said quietly, always respectful. 
“Awesome. Listen, your uncle has to talk about some stuff with my friend here so why don’t you show me your room?” Jongsu looked at Jongdae who nodded reassuringly and smiled. 
“It’s okay he’s a friend,” He said. Jongsu nodded and slowly walked towards his room, letting Kibum follow. As soon as they were gone Siwon turned to Baekhyun. 
“Please, have a seat,” He said, gesturing to the chair. Baekhyun also glanced at Jongdae who still wasn’t looking at him, “how long have you known the Kim family?”
“Um, two years sort of?” Baekhyun felt like he was being interrogated. 
“How did you meet the family?”
“I’m Jongsu’s piano teacher. What is this about?” 
Siwon sighed and leaned forward crossing his hands on the table. He sighed again. Baekhyun looked at Jongdae and wished Jongdae would make eye contact with him. “How well did you know Jongdeok?” 
“Can you please tell me what this is about?” 
“Just…answer the questions, Baek.” Jongdae said quietly. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at him but sighed. 
“I mean we weren’t like, close? His mom dropped Jongsu up and he would pick him up from lessons three times a week. I mean, we talked a little bit about Jongsu. He was nice enough but I mean I wasn’t his teacher. Jongsu would talk about him sometimes but I mean he was like seven so you have to take it with a grain of salt.” Baekhyun said, relenting.
“Alright thank you. What sort of stuff would Jongsu say? Did he ever indicate that anyone had anything against his dad?” 
“No offense Mr. Choi but what the ?” Baekhyun’s voice was low. Jongdae clenched his jaw and looked out the window with determination. He looked like he was holding back tears. 
“I’m not at liberty to say. What is your current relationship with Jongsu? You are close enough to pick him up from school I see.” 
“I’m still his piano teacher. I mean, I helped Jongdae out right after the accident and sometimes watch Jongsu.” 
“He seems very close to you”
“I suppose. Kids need a strong support system and Jongdae has had a lot on his plate so I help out as much as I can.” 
“What is your relationship with Jongdae?” Siwon asked. Jongdae’s face didn’t change at all. 
“He has become a close friend,” Baekhyun said carefully. 
“I think that’s enough for today.” Siwon said finally. He pulled out a piece of paper, “can I please have some contact information in case of further questions?” Baekhyun glanced at Jongdae but he still was unresponsive so he sighed and scribbled his phone number. Siwon handed him a business card. 
“Thank you, Mr. Byun. If you can think of anything about Jongdeok that might be helpful please don’t hesitate to call.” 
“Right” 
“Kibum are you ready?” Siwon stood up. Neither Jongdae nor Baekhyun moved. Kibum returned with Jongsu who laid his head in Jongdae’s lap. Jongdae looked down and Jongsu’s back. 
“Have a good day,” Kibum said, “We’ll be in touch.” 
The two men left and the door thudded shut with finality. The three sitting around the table didn’t move for a long time. Eventually, Jongsu stood up and rubbed his eyes. “I’m tired Uncle,” he said. That seemed to snap Jongdae out of whatever trance he was in.
“Okay, bud. I think it would be okay to cancel your lesson today.” He glanced at Baekhyun who didn’t respond at all, “why don’t you go lay down. In a couple of hours, we can go out for dinner how does that sound?” 
“Can I sleep in your bed?” Jongsu looked so small. Jongdae smiled and ruffled his hair, 
“Of course,” He said warmly. Jongsu nodded and tottered away, yawning. Jongdae’s door closed and once again the room was enveloped in silence. 
“Are you going to tell me what that was about?” Baekhyun asked after a while. 
“I’m not gonna cry again,” Jongdae said, focusing again on his hands in his lap. 
“Alright. Why was Tall Dark and Handsome asking me all those questions?” 
“I...I’m not gonna cry again,” Jongdae repeated, it was apparent he was lying to himself though. Baekhyun sighed and stood up, 
“Come on you should get out of this seat. I’ll make tea.”  He nudged Jongdae until he stumbled out of the chair. Baekhyun almost led him to the couch and made him sit down. He turned to go back to the kitchen but Jongdae grabbed his sleeve. It had the same desperation as when Jongdae made him spend the night after the funeral. 
“I guess something came up and there are….special circumstances surrounding the crash” Jongdae said, his eyes focusing on the wall in front of him. Baekhyun turned and sat on the couch as close as he could be without actually touching Jongdae. “Circumstances meaning foul play. I guess they are thinking the accident wasn’t an accident.” 
“What the hell?”
“I don’t know they didn’t tell me much. Since it might have been…not an accident though they are worried about Jongsu and my-“Jongdae clenched his jaw. His eyes looked like they were about to pop out of his head he was holding back tears so hard. Baekhyun reached out and took his hands. Jongdae laughed nervously “I’m not gonna cry” he whispered this time. 
Baekhyun reached forward and put his arm around Jongdae, pulling him into him, Jongdae fit into Baekhyun’s arms perfectly and he clutched the back of Baekhyun’s shirt as if it was the only thing keeping him grounded. 
“You know you can cry Jongdae,” Baekhyun said. Jongdae nodded into his shirt. He felt like he was holding his breath. After a second, he pushed Baekhyun away and rubbed his eyes. 
“They are worried about my ability to take care of Jongsu,” Jongdae said in one breath so quietly it was almost a whisper. He put his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. “. I’m not gonna-“ 
“Dude shut up” Baekhyun put his arm back around Jongdae and gently pulled him so he put his head in Baekhyun’s lap. Jongdae clutched at Baekhyun’s leg and finally started to cry. 
Baekhyun had one hand on Jongdae’s arm, rubbing soothing circles while the other hand was combing through Jongdae’s messy hair as he buried his face in Baekhyun’s jeans and gently shook. “It’s okay Jongdae you’re not gonna lose Jongsu okay? I won’t let that happen” Baekhyun wasn’t sure what he could do but he suddenly became very resolved to protect Jongsu and Jongdae. 
“Baekhyun what if I can’t take care of him,” Jongdae said quietly. 
“That’s not true you know that.”
“What the am I thinking I can’t ing raise a kid.” 
“Yes, you can. You have to” Baekhyun was really bad at comforting people. 
“I’m ing…I can barely take care of myself maybe they are right.” 
Baekhyun sighed and pushed Jongdae so he was sitting up. He looked startled at being manhandled like that. His eyes were bloodshot and his hair messy. “Hey,” Baekhyun said seriously, 
“Shut up okay? Don’t think like that. You will take great care of Jongsu, you can take care of yourself, you’re like, the strongest person I know so just. Shut up okay. And stop acting like you’re doing this alone alright? Taeyeon is here and your mom is coming home from the hospital, and you…you have me okay? So just. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.” Baekhyun wasn’t sure where any of these words were coming from but they felt like the thing to say. Jongdae looked startled still but his face softened. 
“You’re right.” He said with faint determination, “tha-I mean…” Jongdae sighed and leaned back into Baekhyun, putting his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder. Baekhyun sighed and put his arm back around Jongdae, pulling him closer. Baekhyun wanted nothing more than for Jongdae to feel safe and secure, whatever that meant. 
They stayed like that for a long time, not saying anything. Baekhyun traced circles on Jongdae’s shoulder, Jongdae traced circles on Baekhyun’s knee. Just the simple contact was warming and comforting for Baekhyun and he hoped it was the same for Jongdae.
After a while, Jongdae fell asleep and his head slumped forward. Baekhyun smiled and adjusted them both so Jongdae was laying down in Baekhyun’s lap again, in his sleep Jongdae clutched at Baekhyun tightly. Baekhyun just the hair out of his face and took advantage of the fact that he could stare at Jongdae. 
He looked almost peaceful in his sleep, his mouth open a little bit. Baekhyun could feel him breathing. He was warm and soft and beautiful. Jongdae was perfect and Baekhyun felt his heart do summersaults. He was terrified.