Chapter 15

When I Needed You Most

Baekhyun’s mother was nice in small doses. She was nice to his friends, nice to him, on the outside she was supportive, but everyone has their demons. Hers was about ten years of mental illness that plagued her and made her emotionally venerable and dependent. That’s why Baekhyun moved out as fast as he could, not because he didn’t love his mother, but because he loved her too much and couldn’t stand to watch her suffer.

The house was clean and old. Baekhyun had spent his whole life there but somehow he felt like he was a stranger. He always had taken back burner to his mom’s issues and had never really felt like there was room for him even in his own home.

Nonetheless, the day after running into Chanyeol at the coffee shop, he walked inside and took off his shoes, sighing and steeling himself for whatever lie ahead. “Hello mom!” He said cheerfully, walking towards the kitchen where he is sure she would be preparing some sort of miniature feast.

“Oh you’re here!” She said, walking over and giving him a long hug. She smelt like fresh cookies and warmth. If he had been someone else it would have been comforting. “How are you? How have you been? Are you dating anyone? Tell me everything. How is Minseok? Is the coffee shop doing well? I always mean to stop by but I don’t I’m terribly sorry. I am going to make an effort to stop by more often. Please sit down, do you want some tea?”

“Mom calm down okay?” Baekhyun sat down, “let’s start with tea.”

“Okay” His mother poured them both tea and sat down across from him at the table, staring expectantly.

“Where do you want me to start?”

“How is work?”

“Great mom, the coffee shop is doing great, Minseok and Luhan send their love.” Baekhyun lied, Luhan and Minseok hadn’t said anything. They didn’t actually know he was visiting his mother.

“Aw, what sweet boys. Pity neither of them are married yet.”

“Yeah, pity.” What Baekhyun hated the most about spending time with his mother was how straight he and his friends had to act.

“What about you?” His mother leaned forward with a twinkle in her eye. Baekhyun choked on his tea.

“What about me?”

“Are you dating anyone?”

“Um, actually yea-“

“Helloooo Mrs. Byun!!” Baekhyun’s blood froze at the high pitched voice from the hall. His mother leapt up with a smile,

“Oh I forgot to tell you! I invited Mrs. Park over! She hasn’t seen you in ages, ever since her son moved out of your house she said, anyways did you hear Chanyeol is in town!”

“I heard that yeah” Baekhyun took another sip of his tea and tried to manufacture an excuse to leave. Mrs. Park came in and sat down next to Baekhyun, smiling and giving him a huge hug.

“Hello, Baekhyun dear it’s been too long!”

“Yes yes it has Mrs. Park.” Baekhyun smiled at the small woman. He liked Chanyeol’s mom, she had been as much of a mom to him as his own mother if he was being honest.

“Anyways…guess who else is here!” Mrs. Park said with a flourish. Baekhyun’s mom gasped and ran to the hall like a child to a Christmas tree,

“Oh! Dear! I’m so glad you are here! What an amazing surprise!! Oh wow this is great!” Baekhyun could guess who was in the hallway and he needed to get out immediately. “Baekhyun, look whose here!!” His mother came back into the kitchen, parading Chanyeol with her. He was smiling respectfully but he failed to meet Baekhyun’s eyes.

Baekhyun’s mother sat next to him, with Mrs Park on the other side. He was trapped. Baekhyun pulled out his phone to send an SOS text to Luhan or Minseok, but his mother quickly snatched his phone. “Don’t be rude! Your friend is here! Anyways, Baekhyun was just telling me about his girlfriend!” His mother said with a wink. Baekhyun glanced up to see Chanyeol’s reaction, he smirked.

“Ohh! Tell us about her!! Where did you meet? What is her name? What does she do?”

“Um, well it’s nothing serious yet we are still seeing what happens” Baekhyun said, “She works for a radio station as a night DJ.”

“How interesting! How did you meet?”

“Um, her cousin is one of my student’s.”

“The one at the coffee shop?” Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun didn’t respond.

“How long have you been together?” Mrs. Park asked, leaning in. Old women loved drama. Baekhyun prayed for an emergency so his phone would ring and his mom would give it back.

“Um just a couple of weeks. She just moved here from Seoul.”

“Ohh exciting. What is her name?”

“Kim Taeyeon.” Baekhyun said, when he said her name Chanyeol knocked over his tea, spilling it all over the table.

“Oh I am so so sorry, oh dear how clumsy of me!” He was bright red but there was something else in his face Baekhyun didn’t understand, guilt? Fear? Baekhyun pushed it aside as his mother and Chanyeol hurried to mop up the tea.

As they were sitting back down his emergency came and his phone rang. His mother looked at it, typical.

“Mom can I please have my phone back?” Baekhyun asked in the nicest tone he could muster.

“Who is Siwon?”

“Um, he’s a cop.”

“A cop? Are you in trouble with the police?” His mother still wasn’t handing him his phone.

“no mom I’m not please let me answer this call” He reached out, but she pulled back, “mom!”

“Not until you tell me why you are getting a call from a police officer!”

“Fine, my girlfriend’s cousin was murdered and he is leading up the investigation. Since I know the family he has been asking me questions now please give me my phone back.”

Speechless, his mother handed him his phone and he quickly answered, scotching by her to find some privacy.

“Hello sir!”

“Hello Baekhyun? This is Choi Siwon with the police.”

“Yes I remember”

“Oh good.” Baekhyun had forgotten how soothing Siwon’s voice was. He went upstairs to his old bedroom, “I was hoping we could meet sometime to ask a couple questions.”

“Of course, are you free tomorrow? Around Three? I work at the coffee shop on the corner of 12th and El Dorado.”

“That sounds perfect! Thank you so much Mr. Byun.”

“I look forward to talking to you” Baekhyun hung up and sat down on his bed, trying to clear his mind so he could escape from his house. The window was always an option, when he was in high school he would climb out and down the tree. He glanced out, the tree was covered in snow but he could probably still do it.

“You’re really close with Kim Jongdae right?” Chanyeol was in his doorway. Baekhyun thought the tree looked like a very good option.

“Yep” He said, opening his window.

“Are you going to climb out the window?” Chanyeol took a step forward, “Baekhyun listen to me” He sounded serious, the tone of voice he only got when he was either really mad or really serious. It made Baekhyun pause, “The Kim family, you should stay away.”

“Okay bye Chanyeol” Baekhyun turned and waived with the fakest smile he could muster before sliding out the window.

“This is for your protection!” Chanyeol rushed forward and half leaned out the window. Baekhyun realized it was probably not his best plan to be on his roof without shoes in the middle of December but now was not the time to rethink.

He slid down the roof to the largest branch which was covered with snow. He leapt on and began to shimmy towards the trunk where he could slide down to safety.

“You are gonna fall” Chanyeol said, crossing his arms.

“I am no-“Just as Baekhyun said that his hand slipped on the branch and with a crash he began falling down the tree. He tried to clutch onto branches as he fell but all he felt was a hot pain in his head and then a throbbing in his and a wet cold all over him.

“ing” He heard Chanyeol swear but wasn’t really in a place to think. His limbs didn’t want to move. He began to panic, what if he had snapped his neck and was paralyzed? He tried to wiggle his fingers, that worked but his left hand was in a lot of pain. He glanced down and saw blood on the snow, he wasn’t sure from where though.

His feet worked also and after a couple seconds he was standing up, leaning against the tree that had just betrayed him. Chanyeol rushed outside, concern spread across his face. “Baekhyun what the -“

“Shhh! Do you want our mom’s to know?” Baekhyun said, “I’m leaving” He took a step forward and suddenly he was lying back in the snow. Chanyeol was next to him, his arm around him, helping him stand up.

Chanyeol store wore the same cologne. Baekhyun ignored it and tried to push the taller man away but he was probably suffering a huge concussion or something because he wasn’t able to make his arms and legs move anywhere except to lean on Chanyeol.

“I’m calling the hospital, Christ” Chanyeol said, “You’re head is bleeding” He put his hand up and Baekhyun was able to push it away.

“Don’t call the hospital just, help me to the bus stop”

“You aren’t taking the bus. I’m getting your mom” Chanyeol leaned Baekhyun back against the tree but before he could go Baekhyun grabbed him.

“No don’t get my mom. Fine, help me to a friend’s house.” Baekhyun said, “I know someone who lives close.”

Jongdae’s house was only a couple blocks away. Baekhyun didn’t even notice the multiple cars in the front he just leaned against the door so he wouldn’t have to touch Chanyeol anymore.

Jongdae opened the door and Baekhyun fell onto him. “-Baekhyun?” Jongdae somehow managed to catch him, “What the happened?”

“He fell out of a tree.” Chanyeol said,

“What the ? Who are you?”

“You smell nice.” Baekhyun murmured into Jongdae’s shoulder. Things were starting to get fuzzy.

“Okay let’s get you inside.” Jongdae put his arm around Baekhyun and dragged him to the couch where Baekhyun fell. “Lucky for you, Junmyeon is here with my mom”

“Make him leave” Baekhyun gestured to Chanyeol who had followed them into the house. He was staring at a picture of Jongdeok and Jongsu that was on the wall.

“I appreciate you helping but I’ve got it from here.” Jongdae said politely.

“I’m not leaving until I know he’s okay.” Chanyeol said.

“I swear to ing Christ if you don’t leave right now I will pull your intestines out of your and shove them down your throat so they are all rearranged and you won’t be able to eat anymore” Baekhyun said, slurring his words. Jongdae stared at him with narrow eyes.

“Who are you?” Jongdae turned back to Chanyeol, almost with amazement, “I’ve only ever heard him talk like that to Luhan.”

“Luhan that ” Baekhyun mumbled.

“Okay Baekhyun, let me get the doctor.” Jongdae turned and went to his mother’s room.

“Leave now Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said seriously.

“You are such a . Who is this?” Chanyeol held up the picture.

“None of your business. Just leave.”

“Is this your girlfriend’s cousin?”

“Hello Baekhyun” Junmyeon emerged from the back. He looked tired but Baekhyun didn’t notice, “What kind of mess have you gotten into now.” Junmyeon knelt on the ground and began to inspect Baekhyun. “Jongdae get me a wet towel and a glass of water and any painkillers you have.”

“Baekhyun give me your phone”

“It’s in my pocket” Baekhyun said. Jongdae rolled his eyes.

“Just get it for me okay? I’m not gonna you in front of the doctor.”

“What if the doctor likes it?” Baekhyun said, wincing when Junmyeon touched his forehead.

“Also he needs to get in a warm bath or shower soon his clothes are soaked he’s gonna get sick. Take off your shirt.”

“Only if Jongdae helps,” Baekhyun said, smiling.

“I think he has a minor concussion. I’ll take care of him here for now but you should take him to the hospital as soon as possible.” Junmyeon said with concern. Jongdae managed to get a hold of Baekhyun’s phone and pressed it to his ear as he rushed to get everything Junmyeon had asked for.

“Hello? Minseok? It’s Jongdae, um, Baekhyun is here and he’s hurt. I guess he fell out of a tree? But I don’t know what else. He has a pretty gnarly head wound and the doctor said he needs to go to the hospital, do you think you or Luhan could come get him? I don’t have a car….yeah I don’t know what he was doing in a tree Minseok he has a concussion…yeah okay….see you soon.” He hung up and pocketed the phone before returning to the living room.

“Awe is Minnie coming?” Baekhyun said.

“Yep Minseok and Luhan are on their way. Minseok is closing early for this so you had better have a good reason for being in a tree.” Jongdae said, sitting near Baekhyun but not getting in the doctors way.

“Where’s Jongsu?”

“School and then he is going on a play date tonight with some friends. If we need to I’ll ask Taeyeon to pick him up from that so don’t worry.”

“Is Chanyeol still here?” Jongdae’s head snapped around to Chanyeol, who was indeed still standing awkwardly in the corner.

“You’re Chanyeol?” Jongdae said harshly.

“Oh I guess you’ve heard the rumours.” Chanyeol said dryly.

“Please leave my house right now,” Jongdae said, his tone was steady but his eyes were dark and serious.

“Fine, I’ll be checking on him later though.” Chanyeol said, turning around.

“Don’t bother,” Jongdae said. Chanyeol scoffed and left and Jongdae returned to pay attention to Baekhyun.

“Does he have something to do with why you were in a tree?”

“Yeah,” Baekhyun yawned, “I’m gonna take a nap.”

“No you aren’t,” Junmyeon said, “You’re going to stay awake so you don’t die.”

“I’m gonna stay awake so I don’t die.” Baekhyun repeated. “Anyways Jongdae how mad would you be if I vomited on your floor?”

A/N ** ** 

I wrote this half asleep but anyway my bday present to all of u is this chapter. 
Also if u like these pairings and also Hunhan and TaeKaiStal, check out my new Star Wars AU, Lifesaver. 
Anyway comments r appreciated. Things are really gonna pick up now in re. to the homicide and also Chanyeol.