Chapter 14

When I Needed You Most

Things settled as Christmas drew nearer. By December First Minseok had Baekhyun and Tao decorating the store with the same Christmas decorations he had been using for years. Luhan was ‘supravising’ which meant Luhan was standing behind the counter not paying attention except to occasionally yell at Baekhyun.

Baekhyun and Taeyeon continued to date sort of. Most of the time it was more them co-parenting Jongsu with Jongdae. Jongdae withdrew to some degree. He wouldn’t call Baekhyun and he stopped dropping by the store. Baekhyun felt himself looking up hopefully every time the doorbell rang.

By December second, the shop was decorated and people were lining up to get peppermint hot chocolate or lattes, okay, they weren’t lining up, but the coffee shop always got busy around Christmas and with that generally came some sort of emergency, on this particular morning it was the milk running out.

It was in between the rush so Luhan quickly ran to the grocery store. Tao was in the back restocking some or something, leaving Baekhyun to man the counter alone. He kept glancing at his phone, hoping for a text from Jongdae.

It buzzed and he hurried to see what it was and felt guilty at how his heart fell when he saw Taeyeon’s name on the screen. She was great, she wasn’t clingy or anything, she was letting Baekhyun take it as slow as he needed which it turned out was extremely slow. It had only been a couple weeks but something was holding him back.

He sighed and didn’t read the text, it was probably confirming plans for after Jongsu’s lesson. Baekhyun was opening and closing the fridge mindlessly and didn’t even look up as the doorbell rang. He didn’t look up as the customer approached, he only looked up halfway through his customary greeting.

“Hello, welcome to the-“His breath caught in his throat and his heart fell.

 “Ah yes, I’ll have whatever’s good.”

Baekhyun’s heart dropped. His whole body froze at the sound of that voice. He saw his hands start to tremble and he wished he hadn’t looked up.

“Hello?”

Baekhyun stared for a second before coming back to the present. He tuned out his emotions and put on his customer service smile.

 “Hello, sir how can I help you?” He wasn’t sure why but he decided pretending not to know the tall gangly man at the counter seemed like the best option. Of course, he didn’t buy it. It hadn’t been that long.

He was still tall, still wore stupid hats, still had huge ears and a huger grin still wore oversized black hoodies. The only difference was he had a wedding ring on his finger. Baekhyun tried not to stare at it, then he tried not to stare at it bitterly, but he failed on both accounts.

“Sir? Really Baekhyun?”

“What so I can’t be polite?” Baekhyun glanced around and cursed that Yixing was wearing headphones and unable to come to his aid, although there wasn’t much he could have done anyway. Tao was taking a really long time to do inventory.

“I just thought…never mind. You remember me right?”

“What can I make for you?”

“Just…just coffee I guess.” The tall man looked crestfallen. Baekhyun turned around to get the coffee, trying to work past the lump in his throat.

“Of course, I remember you.” He said softly.

“Well? Is that all you’re going to say? No, ‘Hey Chanyeol, long time no see!’ or ‘Hey Chanyeol! How are you?’”

“Hey, Chanyeol! Long-time no see! Hey, Chanyeol! How are you?” Baekhyun faked excitement as much as he could while handing Chanyeol his coffee.

“You know what I meant.”

“I’m working right now I’d appreciate it if you left me alone.” Baekhyun said bravely. Standing up for himself wasn’t something he was used to. His phone started to buzz. Hoping it was Jongdae, he quickly reached into his pocket and answered without thinking.

“What’s up?”

“I thought you were working, yet you still are able to answer the phone,” Chanyeol said bitterly, not budging from the counter. Baekhyun ignored him. Sadly it wasn’t Jongdae but rather Jongin.

“Is that-was that”

“Yeah please, Jongin I’m not in the mood.”

“Oh um it was just wondering if you could feed the kids for me tonight, Taemin is going to the airport so I was going to drop him off but it’ll be late and I don’t want them to miss their mealtime”

“Okay yeah, sure I can do that,” Baekhyun said, not really listening.

“Was that Chanyeol? What is he doing there? Do you want us to come by the shop?” Jongin sounded concerned, which was sweet.

“No, I’ve got everything under control. I’ll make sure the kids are fed and healthy. I’ll talk to you tomorrow Jongin.” Baekhyun hung up the phone and refocused his attention on Chanyeol.

“How is Jongin nowadays?” Chanyeol asked.

“Fine”

“He and Taemin still pretending not to be in love?”

“Yes.”

“How about Minseok?”

“Fine” Baekhyun tried to focus on anything other than Chanyeol.

“Luhan?”

“Never better” Baekhyun busied himself by wiping the counter. Chanyeol hadn’t touched his coffee.

“Two-word answers. I’m getting somewhere”

“What do you want from me Chanyeol?” Baekhyun sighed.

“I just…thought it would be nice to catch up?”

“Well, maybe not when I’m at work.”

“What time are you off then?”

Baekhyun had backed himself into a corner. “I have plans tonight,” He said curtly.

“I’m in town for a while so whenever you are free, give me a call,” Chanyeol said. “My number hasn’t changed.”

“Sounds super” Baekhyun didn’t look up but he noticed out of the corner of his eye that Chanyeol didn’t leave, instead he sat in the corner and pulled out his laptop. Just his luck.  Before Baekhyun could think of a way to politely make him leave, the bell rang and Jongsu rushed in.

“HYUNG” He almost lept over the counter. Baekhyun couldn’t help smiling at the child's energy, he also couldn’t help notice Chanyeol was watching them. He went around the counter to hug Jongsu.

“What are you doing here? Where is Jongdae?”

“On the phone,” Jongsu said, conspicuously eyeing the pastry’s. Baekhyun noticed and went back behind the counter.

“You know one day you’re going to have to start paying for these. What do you want?”

“umm” Jongsu examined the glass case, “the cookie” he pointed. Baekhyun was handing him the cookie as the bell rang again and Jongdae walked in.

“Hey you know you’re going to have to deal with him if he gets hyper off that,” He said when he saw the cookie.

“-I mean…rats.”

“ ” Jongsu repeated, not knowing what he was saying. Jongdae tried to look mad but Baekhyun could tell he was trying not to laugh.

“Now you’ve taught him a bad word.” He said frowning. Baekhyun tried to look innocent as he made Jongdae’s coffee. He saw in the corner of his eye that Chanyeol was still watching him.

“Why are you here so early?” Baekhyun asked,

“What are you not happy to see me?”

“I’m worried I’ll get distracted and spill something,” Baekhyun said casually. He usually wouldn’t have been so outwardly flirty but he was very aware of Chanyeol’s large ears listening to every single word he said. Jongdae blushed and Baekhyun worried he had been too forward.

“I can leave then if you want?” He pretended to walk towards the door.

“Wait- no that’s not what I –“

“I’m kidding Baekhyun. I was actually hoping I could drop Jongsu off early for his lesson. I have to take my mom to the hospital for a check-up. Taeyeon is going to pick him up if that’s okay with you”

“Oh yeah of course. I get off as soon as Luhan comes back or D.O shows up, whichever comes first.”

“Great, Tha-I’ll see you later okay. Jongsu be good okay” Jongdae kissed the top of Jongsu’s head and then winked at Baekhyun. Baekhyun felt his heart rate increase.

A few minutes after Jongdae left, D.O. arrived. Chanyeol had been staring at Baekhyun the whole time. Jongsu had taken up sanctuary underneath the counter, playing a game on Baekhyun’s phone.

“What are we also a day-care now?” D.O. said bitterly as Baekhyun clocked out.

“Just wait until you have kids Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun said.

“I. Told. You. Not. To. Call. Me. That”

“You can’t complain because I’ve already clocked out,” Baekhyun said, blowing D.O. a kiss and grabbing Jongsu’s hand as they left. 

“Wait Baekhyun!” Chanyeol had followed him. Great. Baekhyun tried to ignore him.

“Hyung that man is calling you,” Jongsu said, stopping. Baekhyun cursed.

“Oh? I didn’t hear him.” He lied, turning around.

“Baekhyun” Chanyeol ran up and stopped in front of him. Jongsu pulled on Baekhyun’s arm and half hid behind him. “Will you call me?” Baekhyun didn’t want to teach any more bad words so he couldn’t say what was on his mind.

“Why?”

“I…I want to talk to you. Just talk.”

“I don’t think so. I have to go now I have a lesson.” Baekhyun turned around and started to walk but Jongsu had stopped.

“You’re tall,” he said to Chanyeol, Baekhyun swore under his breath.

“You’re short.” Chanyeol responded, kneeling down, “What’s your name?”

“Kim Jongsu I’m 8 years old.”

“Oh wow! Was that your dad that dropped you off?”

“Jongsu we have to go.” Baekhyun didn’t want to be harsh with Jongsu but he also didn’t want him talking to Chanyeol, “and he has somewhere to be. Come on! We don’t want to be late”

“Will you call me?” Chanyeol called as they walked away. Baekhyun ignored him.

“Why are you being mean to him Hyung?” Jongsu asked, looking back, “He was funny”

“He isn’t very nice Jongsu.” Baekhyun wasn’t quite sure what else to say. Jongsu just nodded with apparent understanding and they changed the subject.

Baekhyun felt a pit forming at the bottom of his stomach, he knew this wasn’t the last time he would see Chanyeol.