Chapter 20

When I Needed You Most

“Hello?” Jongdae sounded tired.

“Hey,” Baekhyun suddenly relaxed, he sat on the floor and leaned against Luhan’s bed, “How is your mom?”

“How is your head?”

“I asked you first.”

“She’s alive.” Jongdae sounded tired, “for now.” he let out a harsh laugh.

“Is there anything I can do?”

“Distract me?”

“Well, usually that means -”

“Baekhyun just like, I don’t know. Tell me about your night. What did you have for dinner?” Baekhyun tried to picture where Jongdae was, he was probably in the hallway, sitting on a bench. The hospital was probably cold. He probably had some ty coffee that was lukewarm and half a candy bar.

“Well, actually there were a couple guests tonight.”

“Really? Anyone I know?”

“Uh well, my mom, your nephew, your cousin, and my crazy ex made a guest appearance.”

“Wow that’s a lot...what...how did that go?”

“Well my mom decided that we need help, aka she has decided to be a part of my life again which is wild in and of itself, but then Jongsu and Taeyeon showed up and after dinner you-know-who showed up.”

“Are you referring to your ex as lord Voldemort?” Jongdae chuckled.

“Chanyeol is worse than lord Voldemort,” Baekhyun said vehemently, Jongdae chuckled more but it felt half-assed and tired.

“What did lord Voldemort want from you?” He asked. Baekhyun remembered Chanyeol telling him to stay away from the Kim family.

“Oh he just um, wanted to see if I was okay. Minseok and Luhan bounced him out so I didn’t even talk to him.” Why was he lying? Baekhyun felt kind of sick.

“That’s weird. Is he still like...into you?”

“No I mean, I doubt it. I think he just wanted to with me. I dunno.”

“Wow, what an eventful night in the Kim-Kim-Byun-Han house.” Jongdae yawned.

“What a cumbersome name.”

“Can you think of something better?”

“Kim squared-byun-Han?”

“Kim-Han-Byun-Kim? By age order?” Jongdae sounded like he was moving around. Baekhyun could hear noises in the background.

“I mean still cumbersome but I guess it will do. I’ll make a plaque.”

“That’s a great idea.”

“What are you doing now?” Baekhyun pulled a blanket over himself.

“Um, trying to find more coffee. They moved the machine in the hospital so it's on the third floor now which is the intensive care for pediatrics which just makes me sad you know, like seeing sick kids. There is one in the nurses station though and Junmyeon lets me use it but like, he went home.”

“I’ll bring you coffee.” Baekhyun offered without really thinking.

“Not tonight Baek. I’m not letting you leave your house after nine pm to see me anymore.”

“Why do you stop liking me after nine?”

“No, but you drag me to the store in the middle of the ing night and don’t even tell me why,” Jongdae whined.

“I can't tell you yet. You’ll find out at the Kim-Han-Byun-Kim Christmas Party.”

“What if you combined your first names? MinLuBaekJong, or SeokLuHyunIn”

“MLBJ? Bj, haha.”

“Oh my god go to bed.”

“Did you find coffee?”

“No. I guess I have to go to the kids floor. Junmyeon isn’t even going to be in tomorrow because he had something come up with his boyfriend? I don’t know. If I remember correctly though you owe me a lot of coffee.” Jongdae said.

“You’re right. Can I pay you back in installments?”

“Yes but you should know I have a steep interest rate.”

“As any respectable man should. What is your hourly rate?” Baekhyun could feel Jongdae blushing through the phone.

“Too high for you to afford.” He said, laughing.

“Damn.”

“Also aren't you dating my cousin?”

“For now.” Baekhyun picked at a string on the carpet, “I tried to break up with her tonight but um, that didn’t work.”

“How?”

“She’s asleep in my bed right now.”

“Well. I mean. Maybe try again later.”

“Do you want me to break up with her?” Baekhyun felt like a middle schooler, but he was tired and legitimately wanted to know. Jongdae was silent.

“I should go um, check on my mom.” He said after awhile. Baekhyun regretted asking Jongdae’s opinion on him and Taeyeon.

“Yeah, um I should go to bed, hey try and get some sleep tonight okay?”

“Yes, mom,” Jongdae said Baekhyun could hear a smile in his voice.

“Okay.”

“Okay.”

“Goodnight Kim Jongdae.”

“Goodnight Byun Baekhyun.”

...

“Good-”

“Just hang up already, god.” Jongdae hung up before Baekhyun could say anything else. As soon as he hung up the room was suddenly too dark, too cold.

He made his way out to the kitchen to get a drink before going back to bed, not noticing his mom standing in the shadows.

“We need to talk.” She said, arms crossed.

A/N:this was rl important 2 me but also rly important things will happen in the next 2 chapters so don't put down that remote actually u can bc it will prob b a couple days at least before i can write the next 2 chapters bc i m a piece of