Chapter 11

When I Needed You Most

“Hyung”

“Yes, Jongsu?”

“What’s that do?”

“That’s the espresso machine don’t touch it because you might get hurt.”

“Oh. Hyung?”

“Yes, Jongsu?”

“What’s that do?”

“That is the coffee grinder, don’t touch that or you might get hurt.”

“Ohh okay…Hyung?”

“Yes, Jongsu?”

“What’s this do?”

“That’s the fridge. We keep milk and whipped cream and stuff in there. Don’t open it or you’ll let out all the cold air.”

“It won’t hurt me?”

“It shouldn’t” Baekhyun returned to look at the register as Jongsu continued to point out every single thing behind the counter. He should make Tao explain to help review honestly. Baekhyun glanced up and saw Tao was sweeping near Yixing’s table. He and Yixing had hit it off quickly because they were both from China and whenever he got the chance, Tao would talk to Yixing in Mandarin.

“Hyung?”

“Yes, Jongsu?”

“I’m bored.”

“What do you want to do?” Baekhyun glanced at the clock. It was about twenty minutes before Jongdae was going to pick Jongsu up.

“I dunno….can I make coffee?”

“Um, maybe next time okay? Here do you want to play a game on my phone?”

“Why can’t I make it now?” He was hanging off Baekhyun’s shirt. Baekhyun glanced down at his pathetic little eyes and tried to come up with a reason but fell short.

“You know what. Let’s make coffee” Baekhyun picked up Jongsu and held him up as he began explaining how to use the different machines. D.O Arrived for his shift, sending Tao home and watched judgementally as Baekhyun continued to allow Jongsu to touch all the machines.

“Careful okay this is going to be hot and loud,” Baekhyun said, helping Jongsu with the milk frothier.

“Should you be letting a kid touch those things?” D.O. asked with a sneer. Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“Are you going to report me to Minseok?”

“I might. Don’t let him break anything”

“Hyung why doesn’t he like me?” Jongsu asked quietly, Baekhyun chuckled,

“It’s not you bud it’s me he hates.” He grabbed a cup and helped Jongsu pour the fresh espresso into it. “Okay now remember what I said okay? If you get burnt making coffee with me your uncle will have my head.”

“I’m sure you’d love that,” D.O said. Baekhyun blushed but ignored him. Jongsu carefully poured the milk with the concentration he had when he was practicing piano. Baekhyun had always admired that about him, his ability to focus was uncanny for an eight-year-old.

Baekhyun was so focused on making sure Jongsu didn’t spill anything he didn’t hear the bell ring, and didn’t anticipate Jongsu getting excited and shouting “noona!!” and he defiantly didn’t anticipate Jongsu flinging his arms to go run to her and in that process dumping the fresh hot coffee all down the front of Baekhyun, scalding him.

“Jongsu! Look what you did! You just dumped coffee all over Baekhyun!” Taeyeon had hugged Jongsu but was now forcing him to get paper towels and the 8-year-old began uselessly patting the coffee into Baekhyun’s clothes.

“Sorry Hyung,” He said, his cheeks bright red. Baekhyun clenched his jaw and took the paper towels from Jongsu.

“It’s alright buddy it was an accident. Here why don’t you clean up the floor?”

“Well well well”

“I don’t want to hear it D.O”

“Minseok will not be happy when he hears you dumped coffee all over the counter.” D.O. Already had his phone out.

“Minseok has spilt coffee more times than I can count okay? He’s not gonna fire me over this so get that smug smile off your face.” Baekhyun took off his apron, thankfully his shirt was okay but his pants were very wet.

“Are you okay? That looked hot.” Taeyeon was now behind the counter, fussing over him. Baekhyun felt his ears turn pink. He still wasn’t quite sure how to handle being around her.

“Oh yeah no it’s fine. I’ve spilt more coffee on myself than I’ve sold probably.  I think Luhan has some extra pants in the back so don’t worry about it.”

Jongsu had tried to wipe up the floor but honestly, he had just made a bigger mess. He proudly held up the dirty towels in Baekhyun’s face though to show he had done his best. “Oh, good job thank you Jongsu! You didn’t get any coffee on you did you?” Baekhyun knelt down to inspect the 8-year-old. He gave a toothy grin.

“No Hyung I’m okay.”

“Okay good. D.O can you watch the front for like, five minutes for me please?” Baekhyun asked in his most endearing voice. D.O. sighed loudly.

“Aren’t you off in like, five minutes anyways? Just wait for Minseok and Luhan to get here so they can see what a mess you’ve become.”

“They live with me Kyungsoo they already know what a mess I’ve become.”

“There’s no one here anyway” Taeyeon added, helping Jongsu actually clean up the floor. Baekhyun rushed to stop her,

“no no I’ve got this”

“Please, Baekhyun it was my fault he spilt anyways okay? Just go get cleaned up.” She smiled and patted his cheek. It was almost patronizing but Baekhyun felt his heart leap into his chest.

“Okay, I’ll be right back,” Baekhyun said to both of them before rushing to the back. Luhan did have an extra pair of pants in the back and luckily they were almost the same size so they didn’t look too bad on him. Baekhyun quickly wiped himself down so he wouldn’t smell like coffee for the next month and went back out to help finish cleaning up.

“Yo Yo Yo!” Luhan had arrived, “are those mine?”

“no?” Baekhyun lied.

“Minseok look, Baekhyun is finally in my pants!”

“Hey! There are kids here!”

“D.O. is old enough for us to make ual jokes around him,” Luhan said seriously.

“I mean an actual kid here” Baekhyun lifted Jongsu up so he was visible over the counter.

“Hello!” Jongsu waived.

“Okay, he doesn’t understand anyway.” Luhan said, “Anyways, why are you in my pants? Not that I’m complaining.”

“Luhan calm down,” Minseok said, walking behind the counter to get his apron, “did something spill?” He said, sniffing the air.

“How can you smell that?”

“Who spilt?” Minseok crossed his arms.

“Jongsu,” D.O. said from his safe spot far away.

“Jongsu.” Minseok repeated in his ‘disappointed father’ voice, he was glaring at Baekhyun. Luhan was behind him trying not to laugh.

“Yeah…we were…making coffee.” Baekhyun was suddenly embarrassed.

“You, were letting an eight-year-old, make coffee?”

“Um. Yeah.”

“And he spilt?”

“Yes, sir.”

“All over you?”

“Yes.”

“And the counter?”

“Yeah”

“And the floor?”

“Don’t you have eyeballs?” Baekhyun got bitter quickly, he knew Minseok wasn’t actually mad.

“I just like watching you squirm.” Minseok admitted, uncrossing his arms, “are you okay? You didn’t get burnt right?”

“I ing hate you,” Baekhyun said, his cheeks bright red. Taeyeon was still there he could feel her eyes on him. Minseok looked at Baekhyun’s face and how red it was and then he noticed Taeyeon and his eyes widened.

“Oooh”

“Shut up,” Baekhyun said quickly.

“What’s going on?” Luhan put his head on Minseok’s shoulder.

“I’ll explain later,” Minseok said, patting Luhan’s hand. Luhan pouted and Minseok kissed his cheek.

“Please no PDA in the coffee shop sir,” Baekhyun said, pushing Luhan away from Minseok and going to get his jacket, “I’m clocking out.”

“Awe you’re just jealous Baekhyuniee” Luhan made a kissy face at Baekhyun which he pushed away with a groan. Baekhyun went up to Taeyeon,

“Sorry you had to see all that, they are the biggest s on the planet,” He said,

“I heard that” Luhan called out.

“Anyways, are you hungry?” Taeyeon flashed one of her heart melting smiles.

“Starving,” She said,

“Are you hungry?” Baekhyun turned to Jongsu who had begun busying himself by talking to Yixing.

“YES!” He jumped up and grabbed Baekhyun’s arm, hanging off of him.

“Me too. Let’s go”

“Hey, Byun!” Baekhyun prepared himself for whatever Luhan was about to say, “Have her home by midnight.” He pointed measuring cup at Baekhyun.

“Yessir,” Baekhyun said, bowing on his way out.

“Wait okay, help me out here,” Taeyeon said as they started walking, Jongsu between them. He was holding their hands, it reminded Baekhyun of how he Jongsu and Jongdae had walked before.

“What’s up?”

“Luhan and Minseok are dating?”

“Yes.”

“And you live with them and the tall one with the dogs and his boyfriend with the nice teeth?”

“No, well, yeah, Jongin is the tall one and his boyfriend is Taemin but don’t tell them that they are still denying they are dating. And Taemin doesn’t live with us but he might as well. They switch between sleeping at our house and sleeping at the dance studio.”

“Dance studio?”

“They teach dance downtown. They are both really good honestly”

“Okay wait, so Minseok and Luhan are together but Luhan wants to get with you?”

“No, well I don’t know. That’s new.” Baekhyun admitted.

“Have you gotten with them?” She was so blunt, that was probably one of the reasons he liked her.

“No, I mean, no. Not biblically. For a while I slept in their bed with them,” (He didn’t mention he had done that the night of their date) “But nothing like that. I’ve known Minseok since elementary school and Luhan since he moved here halfway through high school”

“What about the other one?” Jongsu asked,

“Who?” Baekhyun had almost forgotten the eight-year-old was there.

“The tall one with big ears. He lives with you too right?”

Baekhyun felt his heart pang. “Oh yeah, he doesn’t live with us anymore,” he said.

“What happened to him?” Jongsu asked,

“He uh, moved on,” Baekhyun said, staring at the ground. He could tell Taeyeon wanted to ask about it but she had tact.

“Like daddy?” Jongsu asked, “Uncle Jongdae said daddy moved on without us.”

“Oh fu-no not like that Jongsu. He just moved to a different city.” Baekhyun scrambled to save himself.

“Oh.” Jongsu sounded a little disappointed. Thankfully, Taeyeon’s phone rang, saving them all from the awkward conversation.

“Hello? Oh hey! Yeah, I have Jongsu and Baekhyun here,” she turned to Baekhyun and mouthed, ‘Jongdae’, “Oh really?? Of course! Yeah, we are on our way! Yeah, we can just order in does that sound good? Great, see you soon!”

“What’s up?”

“Jongdae mom is out of the hospital and she wants to see Jongsu so we are all gonna go have dinner there. Is that okay with you Baekhyun?”

“Of course!”

“Grandma is home?” Jongsu squealed with excitement and began to run, pulling Taeyeon and Baekhyun with him.

 

**A/N

Ah okay idk wtf this is I have a lot of big plans but i was super sick for a couple days and im travelling for most of next week but i'll update when i can!!! I'll try and get another chapter up by sunday night but no promises lol. Sorry this one is kinda shallow but it was fun to write so i hope you enjoy! Thank u for everyone who is still reading even though idk what im doing bye xoxo