Chapter 28

When I Needed You Most

“How is your mother doing?” Choi Siwon was sitting across from Jongdae at some diner he didn’t even know existed until he walked through the door.

“Why did you want to talk to me?”

“How much do you know about Park Chanyeol?”

Jongdae looked at his untouched coffee. “What does he have to do with me?”

“Please Mr. Kim- I’m trying to help you.” Siwon’s coffee was empty. Jongdae sighed,

“I don’t know a lot about Park Chanyeol. I think i’ve met him once and it was very brief. Are we done?” Jongdae looked out the window at the blinking lights in the store display across the street. Let it snow was playing in the diner as a painful reminder that he had left Baekhyun at home to go meet Siwon for some, “emergency”.

“Jongdae,” Siwon leaned forward and it reminded Jongdae of his father, “Im trying to figure out what happened to your brother. Don’t you want to know who killed him?”

“Not really.” Jongdae said, more bitterly than he had hoped, “Listen Detective Choi, my mother is in the hospital, I’m working my off to pay her bills and support me and my nephew who I am now raising by myself and yeah it that he was murdered but I would really just like to put it behind me and move forward without being reminded that my brother was killed every three days by you. Also I still fail to see Chanyeol’s relevance in this at all.”

“Jongdae, you have been through a lot. No one is arguing that, however won’t Jongsu want to know when he is older? Wont he want to know about his dad? Also if your mother doesn’t make it than it will be a double homicide and don’t you want justice?”

“Why is Chanyeol relevant to this.”

“We aren’t sure. He has been brought in for things before, minor things, drug dealing, minor assault, petty theft-” Jongdae wondered if Baekhyun knew about this, how much of this Chanyeol had done while they had been dating, “-we have also found connections between Jongdeok and some of the more powerful gangs in the city. The same ones Chanyeol has been involved with. Also your family has a connection with Mr. Park’s former roommate, Byun Baekhyun.”

“Alright. I have to leave.”

“What is your relationship with Byun Baekhyun?” Siwon asked, looking at his pad of paper. Jongdae wanted to laugh.

“I wish I knew.” He stood up and left a 5,000 Won bill on the table for his coffee.

“Where are you going?”

“Home. In case you don’t know, I have a kid now.” Jongdae left, forgetting to brace himself for the cold. He stamped his feet a few times to warm his legs and then shoved his hands into his pockets to begin the walk home. He passed the bus stop but decided to walk to give himself more time to think.

 

He and Baekhyun and Jongsu had just gotten back to his house and Baekhyun was ordering pizza when he got the call from Siwon, an ‘emergency’, he said, ‘something important had come up’ and Jongdae had apologized to Baekhyun and rushed out the door. Once he realized Siwon didn’t actually have anything real to say his mood dropped.

Obviously he wanted to know who murdered his brother, he wanted to know what Jongdeok was involved with, he wanted to know why Jongsu was an orphan. But knowing wouldn’t change that it had happened, knowing wouldn’t bring him back, so Jongdae had resigned himself to moving on and trying to give Jongsu the best life he could have.

He had to admit though the fact that Siwon had brought up Chanyeol concerned him, this wasn’t the first time Chanyeol’s name had come up with the investigation. He didn’t want to ask Baekhyun about Chanyeol especially when they were just starting a real relationship.

Jongdae kicked a can and glanced up to see where it landed. He was just passing Minseok’s coffee shop. He saw Luhan inside trying to backhug Minseok while Minseok was making coffee and elbowing Luhan away. Jongdae wanted to know what right he had to impose on that family, he really really liked Baekhyun but Jongdae’s life was such a mess was it a good idea to try and bring Baekhyun into it?

He had walked faster than he had thought and before he knew it he was in front of his house. He glanced through the kitchen window and saw Baekhyun and Jongsu eating pizza and laughing about something. Jongsu was making some sort of weird face which made Baekhyun’s eyes crinkle up with laughter. Jongdae sighed and opened the door, plastering on a smile he hoped didn’t look as fake as it felt.

 

Jongsu ran up as he was taking off his jacket and shoes and Baekhyun wasn’t far behind.

“You’re back!” Jongsu said, smiling a toothy grin. Jongdae ruffled his hair and smiled. Baekhyun reached up to cup his face.

“Your face is so cold are you okay? Did you walk back? What happened?” His voice was full of concern. Jongdae smiled and kissed Baekhyun’s hand, moving past them to the kitchen.

“I’m fine, the buses were running slow so I just walked.” He said, putting the kettle on to boil water.

“How did it go?” Baekhyun asked, pressing himself into Jongdae’s side and leaning against the counter. Jongdae kissed Baekhyun, still relishing the fact that he could just...kiss him, still soaking up the cute face Baekhyun would make as they pulled away.

“It was fine. Just some paperwork he needed me to sign.” Jongdae said, looking at the kettle. He wasn’t sure why he was lying but judging by Baekhyun's face he knew Jongdae wasn’t telling the truth. Thankfully he didn’t press it.

“That’s good! We were really hungry and wasn’t sure how long you were gonna be so we started eating but there is still a lot leftover for you.” Baekhyun said.

“Do you need to go home or are you going to stay later?” Jongdae asked. Baekhyun smirked,

“You kicking me out?”

“No! You can stay as long as you want!”

“Do you want me to stay?” Baekhyun lowered his voice and Jongdae’s heart lept.

“I uh...I um, it’s up to you” Jongdae turned back to the kettle and prayed that it would boil soon. Baekhyun slid his arms around Jongdae’s waist in a back hug, resting his chin on Jongdae’s shoulder. “It’s really, cold out” Jongdae said, Baekhyun nodded and kissed Jongdae’s neck, “And uh the busses aren’t really running this late at night,”

“Mhmm”

“And you are going to work with me in the morning anyways....”

“That’s true” Baekhyun was pressing soft warm kisses up the side of Jongdae’s face.

“So it would make more sense for you to...stay the night” Jongdae was having trouble focusing on words. He somehow managed to spin around so he was facing Baekhyun.

“I agree” Baekhyun said. His hands were on the counter on either side of Jongdae, trapping him. Jongdae didn’t mind. The kettle started singing, startling them both and causing them to laugh.

“Do you want tea?” Jongdae asked. Baekhyun shook his head and went to put away the leftover pizza. “Where did Jongsu go?”

“He said he had homework” Baekhyun said, shrugging. Jongdae sighed,

“I should go check on him.”

“I’ll make tea.” Baekhyun said.

Jongsu was sitting on his bed reading something. Jongdae sat on the edge of the bed and leaned over.

“What are you reading?”

“School book” Jongsu said.

“Hey, are you okay?” Jongdae grabbed the book from Jongsu and moved to sit cross legged on his bed. Jongsu pulled his knees up to his chest and stared into the distance moodily.

“I saw Baekhyunie hyung kissing you” Jongsu said. Jongdae wasn’t sure how to respond, he hadn’t even considered how Jongsu would factor into their relationship he just, figured it would work out.

“Is that okay?” Jongdae asked cautiously. He had no idea what he would do if Jongsu disapproved.

“Do you love him?” Jongsu asked. Jongdae narrowed his eyes. This kid was hitting hard.

“I don’t know yet. Maybe. But you know what? I do love you. Very very much.” Jongdae Jongsu’s face, wiping a small tear off the child's cheek, “and that will never change. No matter what happens it will be you and I forever okay?” Jongsu nodded.

“I like Baekhyunie hyung.” He said softly, “I want him to stay with us.”

“Me too Jongsu” Jongdae said, “Do you want a bedtime story?” he reached over to grab a book off Jongsu’s bookshelf.

“No, I need to practice reading.” Jongsu said, picking up the book he had been reading before, “is Baekhyunie hyung spending the night?” Jongsu asked, settling into his bed. Jongdae nodded,

“He is gonna be around a lot because he’s helping me with the winter show. Is that okay?”

“Yeah. I’d like that. Its not so lonely with him here.” Jongsu said, Jongdae agreed wholeheartedly.

“Sleep well okay? Goodnight Jongsu” Jongdae kissed his forehead, tucking him into bed and turning off the light. Jongsu his reading light and grabbed his book. Jongdae closed the door and sighed.

Baekhyun was sitting on the sofa reading something he had probably grabbed off Jongdae’s bookshelf. He barely even looked up as Jongdae flopped next to him. “What are you reading?” Jongdae asked, Baekhyun ignored him. Jongdae sighed in frustration and pushed himself closer to Baekhyun, trying to get a good look at the book. Baekhyun continued to ignore him but the corners of his mouth turned up, betraying him. Jongdae laid down on the sofa and pushed his head under the book between Baekhyun and the book so Baekhyun had to look at him.

“Can I help you?” He asked, eyebrows raised. Jongdae twisted to look at the book but wasn’t able to see it so he grabbed it and looked at the cover.

“Where did you find this?”

“A bookshelf” Baekhyun said defensively, closing the cover.

“I don’t own any Russian Literature. Also why would you pick Crime and Punishment to read.”

“It was the first thing I saw.” Baekhyun said, “and it’s interesting! There’s crime...and....punishment.” Jongdae flipped through the book, there was a name in the front.

“Crime...and punishment? In a book called...crime and punishment.”

“Yeah. Wild huh.”

“You should have been a literature major.” After a closer look Jongdae could discern that the name was Kim Jonghyun. Of course. “I’ll bring this back to him tomorrow, he must have left it here.” Jongdae muttered.

“Who?” Baekhyun grabbed the book.

“Uh, Jonghyun, one of the teachers at the school.”

“Ohhh Taemin's friend” There was an edge to Baekhyun’s voice Jongdae did not fail to miss. He put the book to the side. “Did you get Jongsu to bed?”

“Yeah. He said he likes you” Jongdae said,

“That’s a popular opinion.” Baekhyun said smugly, Jongdae reached over and thwacked him with a pillow, causing him to yelp, “I’m glad Jongsu approves though.”

“Approves..." Jongdae let the idea roll around in his head. "so..are we actually going to do this?”

“A pillow fight? I think we are a bit unevenly matched.” Baekhyun said. Jongdae hit him again,

“You know what I mean.”

“You mean....date? Go out?”

“Yeah are you gonna be my- my boyfriend?” Jongdae leaned back, the pillow still in his hands in case Baekhyun decided to be cute. Baekhyun his lips and inhaled.

“I’ll be your boyfriend sure but on one condition.” He said seriously. 

“And that is?” Jongdae clutched the pillow harder,

“You have to be my boyfriend too.” Baekhyun said. Jongdae hit him. Baekhyun looked offended and grabbed the pillow, “What was that for?”

“For being cheesy!”

“That hurt!”

“Where? Do you want me to kiss it better?” Jongdae asked, eyes glistening. Baekhyun pouted,

“Yeah it hurts here,” He pointed to his cheek, Jongdae kissed it, “-and here-” his nose, “-and here-” Baekhyun pointed to his lips and Jongdae kissed him slowly and gently.

“Better?” He asked. Baekhyun thought for a second and then shook his head,

“Try again? Maybe that one was a dud.”

“Are you saying I’m a bad kisser?” Jongdae pretended to look offended,

“No! You hit me really hard though.” Baekhyun pouted again and it was irresistible. Jongdae laughed and kissed him again, harder this time. He on Baekhyun’s lower lip and Baekhyun moaned softly and clutched at Jongdae’s shirt.

“Now is it better?” Jongdae asked, pulling away only enough to talk. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes and was about to speak when Jongdae interrupted him, “it’s getting late, we should go to bed.”

“Bed, I like the sound of that” Baekhyun said suggestively. Jongdae considered hitting him again but instead he rolled his eyes and stood up, pulling an almost limp Baekhyun with him,

“Pull meee” Baekhyun said, Jongdae sighed

“Come on!” Jongdae whined, pulling Baekhyun to his feet and then pretty much dragging him to his room and letting him to flop into bed. “Are you going to change?”

“Too tired” Baekhyun said, wiggling under the covers and reaching out for Jongdae. Jongdae couldn’t resist crawling into his arms. He rolled over and turned off the light so it was just the two of them in the dark.

It was not the first time they had shared a bed, not even close, but for some reason this time was different. Maybe it was the fact that their legs had gotten tangled and their arms draped over each other, maybe it was because instead of falling asleep they kissed more, maybe it was because Jongdae was not sleeping with his friend anymore, but he was sleeping with his boyfriend. Whatever it was, Jongdae liked it.



**************************************************

 

“A date.” Jonghyun was sitting in Jongdae’s classroom which was empty save the two of them.

“Yeah.” Jongdae was digging through a tub of decorations for the recital hall, “it would just be a couple hours, I’ll buy pizza or something and if we get back late you can spend the night.”

“I don’t want to be in the same house as you after your date.” Jonghyun laughed and continued eating his salad.

“No it-we aren’t going to- not with Jongsu in the house” Jongdae said, turning slightly pink.

“Well that's respectable. If you wanted Jongsu could come to my house”

“What? No no it’s...it’s uh..we aren’t...”

“Good idea, no on the first date.” Jonghyun said, “What are you gonna do?”

“I dunno” Jongdae shrugged, happy to have switched topics “What do normal people do on dates? Dinner, see a bad movie and just make out in the theater the whole time”

“Ugh those are so cliche.” Jonghyun groaned.

“What do you suggest? It’s not like we are teenagers.”

“That’s what makes it fun! God do you even like him”

“Sorry I thought I was just asking you to babysit do you charge extra for counselling?” Jongdae lifted a box of Christmas lights and stacked them in the corner, followed by a fake Christmas tree and some small snow men.

“Friends and family deal, counseling for the first date is always free.”

“Well I’m sure we'll figure out. Can you babysit though?” The bell rang, thankfully saving Jongdae from Jonghyun.

“Yeah yeah I can babysit. Do you have a car?”

“Why”

“I mean it’s not very romantic but if you decide to break the no-”

“Get out of my classroom!” Jongdae hurled a whiteboard eraser at Jonghyun, who skillfully dodged it and ran out of the room. Jonghyun poked his head back in,

“So tomorrow night, you want me to get there at five?” He confirmed. Jongdae nodded,

“Thank you sunbae!” he said as cutely as possible. Jonghyun rolled his eyes and closed the door.

 

A/N: 

Ok so much ahs been happening but here u go this is but whatever as long as ur ok w like 4 chapters of fluff then im ok w like 4 chapters of fluff.

also not to self promo but i made a finsta if u wanna follow my tumblr is linked there too its h2ohsehun

the next chapter might take aw hile bc i have a lot planned and i want it to be just right but thanks for bearing w me and i lov u all <3