Chapter 31

When I Needed You Most

“What’s that?” D.O was looking over Baekhyun's shoulder and Baekhyun was trying to shove him off.

“None of your business” Baekhyun said, locking his phone and shoving it in his pocket.

“You were looking at schools? Finally going to do something with your life?”

“I already have a degree.”

“Yeah but it's in music so no one cares. You aren’t a kpop star.”

“No but I could be. I’m cute enough” Baekhyun winked at D.O. His phone buzzed, it was a text from Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon: call me asap

 

Baekhyun read it a couple times, and figuring she sent it to the wrong person texted back “Who? Me?”


Taeyeon: yes you who else

 

Baekhyun told D.O. to watch the front and he went to the back storage room and called her.

“Hey so are you working right now?”

“Yes?” She sounded frantic almost.

“So um I’m meeting some people and they insisted it was at Minseok’s shop because they like read about it on yelp or something is that....gonna be weird?”

“Um...no? Ohhh yeah because we dated.”

“Yes? What else were you thinking? Anyway can you be mature about this?”

“Me? Mature? That’s my middle name. Do not worry a bit.”

“Fine. Thank you” Taeyeon hung up before Baekhyun could say anything else. He panicked a little about seeing her, but he was the one who suggested they be friends still so maybe this was their chance.

He went back to the front and there were two people, a middle aged woman and what appeared to be her son. He was in high school judging by the uniform,l but he was tall, towering over D.O, Baekhyun and his mother. They ordered and D.O and Baekhyun began making their drinks as they took a seat in the corner.

After a couple minutes Taeyeon walked in. She looked great - Baekhyun had forgotten how attractive she was. A simple dress with her hair loose and wavy. He froze for a second. She made eye contact with him and smiled before walking over to the woman and her son and greeting them with hugs.

“I’m so glad you were able to make it, did you come straight from school?” She asked the son, he towered far above her and Baekhyun almost laughed at the height difference.

“Yeah but it’s winter break so I’m not going tomorrow.” He said, his voice was scratchy like he was going through puberty.

“I am so so glad you agreed to see us honestly with um, with our families history I wasn’t sure if you would” The woman said. Baekhyun was glad they were sitting near the bar so he could eavesdrop while making coffee.

“Well it’s looking like-” Taeyeon glanced at him and he quickly tried to make himself look even more busy.

“Let’s get our drinks first. What would you like dear? I’ll buy it for you.” The woman said, “I read that the espresso is really good here- also the drip coffee.”

“Oh please, I come here a lot I’ll get the coffee.” Taeyeon smiled and walked up to the register. Baekhyun shoved D.O out of the way.

“If you tell me who they are I’ll give you your coffee for free.” He whispered, nodding to the woman and her son

“Why do you care?”

“I’m nosey.”

“You won’t give it to me out of friendship?”

“Actually, exes have to pay double. Minseok’s rule.” Baekhyun said.

“No he never told-”

“Shut up D.O.” Baekhyun shoved D.O farther away.

“Fine, I’ll tell you who they are. That is Jongsu’s grandma and his other uncle.” Taeyeon said, “Mrs Oh, and her son Sehun.”

“Wait- grand - holy is that his mom’s mom?”

“Yes it is.”

“Why are they here?” Baekhyun was staring at them and the son- Sehun- glanced over and glowered at Baekhyun, Baekhyun tried to glower back.

“I don’t know. If you give me my coffee I’ll find out.”

“If you tell me everything I’ll never make you pay for coffee again. I’ll write you a lifetime gift card.”

“We don’t have those-”

“For god's sake Kyungsoo just go away!” Baekhyun hissed. Taeyeon smirked.

“I’ll tell you what they want but I don’t want lifetime coffee in return, I want something else.”

“You can’t have my ity sorry I already gave that away” 
“Ew. No. I want you to tell me what is going on with you and Jongdae.”

“Oh.” Baekhyun stopped, “Fine. Do you want your usual?”

“It’s free right?” Taeyeon smiled, Baekhyun nodded, “I want your most expensive drink” She winked and turned, walking back to Sehun and his mother.

“D.O, be a lamb and make me the most expensive drink we have please.”

“Don’t call me a lamb.” D.O muttered bitterly. Baekhyun ruffled his hair as he walked by and D.O flipped him off but low, behind the counter, so guests couldn’t see.

Minseok and Luhan showed up with boxes of christmas decor which they began hanging around the shop, Luhan reaching over Minseok to help him reach taller things, Minseok directing Luhan. They were all smiles and stolen kisses and Baekhyun felt sick. He still hadn’t even heard from Jongdae.

“Can you guys calm down please” Baekhyun called from behind the counter, “you’re making people uncomfortable.”

“Baekhyun you've walked in on us having why does that make you uncomfortable.” Luhan smirked leaving Minseok to walk over and hug Baekhyun. Baekhyun tried to shove him off but it didn’t work.

“Ew”

“Who’s her date?” Luhan whispered into Baekhyun’s ear, nodding at Taeyeon.

“Please get off me oh my god don’t you have other things to do?”

“Actually D.O. you can go home early if you want- it’s a slow day.” Minseok said, pulling Luhan off Baekhyun and shoving him to the counter where D.O. had been standing.

“I think you should keep looking at schools” D.O. said to Baekhyun on the way out, as if he had been thinking about it, “you’re full of potential.”

“I think you should keep minding your own business” Baekhyun shot back, turning slightly pink because Luhan and Minseok were both staring at him.

“School?” Luhan asked as soon as D.O. was gone, “not busy enough?”

“Shut up.” Baekhyun said, beginning to wipe down the espresso machine and the frother. “It’s nothing.”

“Well I for one, as your best friend, am hurt that Kyungsoo knew about this before me.” Luhan said.

“Kyungsoo is just nosey” Baekhyun muttered. He moved closer to see if he could pick up on what Mrs. Oh was saying. Sehun kept glancing around nervously, eventually he stood up and excused himself, heading to the restroom.

“Now we aren’t trying to impose on anything Jongdae has- lord knows that child has had enough change recently, but it is important to me that we step up and help out in any way we can.” Mrs. Oh was saying, “do you know if Jongdae is, um, dating anyone?”

Taeyeon choked on her drink and Baekhyun dropped the blender he was holding, causing a loud noise that made both of them stare at him.

“I’m sorry” He apologized and picked up as quietly as he could, trying to ignore Luhan staring at him.

“Well, I’m um, not really sure about that.” Taeyeon said.

“Hmm, it’s a shame. You know Jongsu could really use a maternal figure. Maybe you could help him find someone! I’m sure you know lots of pretty girls.”

“I mean- we’ll see. I think Jongdae has a lot going on right now and isn’t really thinking about dating” Taeyeon said diplomatically. Baekhyun felt very conspicuous.

“Hmm. Well I’ll just have to see. Do you think he would be free tonight? I want to take both of you out to dinner. Sehun is going to transfer to a school in the city actually so we will be around awhile and I want to become a part of your lives if that's okay!”

“Of course! Actually if you’ll excuse me for one second I can call him right now and see if he’s free!” Taeyeon stood up quickly and gave Baekhyun a significant look before leaving the shop. A couple seconds later Sehun came out of the bathroom and walked up to Baekhyun.

“What time do the schools get out here?” He asked seriously.

“Um, I don’t know?”

“Ugh” Sehun rolled his eyes, “Do...um...do you have anyone else who works here?”

“No sorry just me.” Baekhyun said sarcastically. Sehun’s face didn't change,

“Anyone, like, tall?” He leaned over to be closer to Baekhyun’s height.

“Tao?” Baekhyun tried not to get mad.  

“Yeah, uh, Huang zitao, what time is he coming in?” Sehun looked around at his mother who was making smalltalk with Minseok as he hung decorations near her table.

“Um, I don’t think Tao is scheduled today.” Baekhyun said, looking around also, “how do you know Tao?”

“Um, we are friends” Sehun said, Baekhyun narrowed his eyes.

“Friends?”

“Yeah. Don’t tell him you saw me, or that I asked about him. Or that I was here.”

“U got it hot shot” Baekhyun said, still trying to figure out what was going on.

“Okay thank you.” Sehun said stiffly before returning to sit across from his mother.

“What was that about?” Luhan asked, coming up behind Baekhyun to join him in staring at Sehun.

“I’m not really sure.” Baekhyun said. Sehun kept glancing around nervously, “Have you ever seen this kid with Tao?”

“Tao? No.” Luhan said, “I didn’t think Tao had many friends in Korea.”


 

“You first” Baekhyun said as Taeyeon walked up to the counter after saying goodbye to Mrs. Oh and Sehun.

“No you first.” Taeyeon responded, leaning against the counter.

“Fine. We went on a date. Your turn.”

“Mrs. Oh wants to be a part of Jongsu and Jongdae’s lives now. And she wants Jongdae to find a nice girl to help raise Jongsu. How did the date go?”

“It went well. What else do they want?”

“Nothing. They are moving here, Sehun is in high school. She just wants to help Jongsu I think. I can’t sense any malice. Are you like, official now?”

“I guess. Is that- is that okay with you?” Baekhyun looked down. Taeyeon laughed,

“Of course it’s fine. I don’t have any control over you. I um, I also am in a relationship.” She said.

“What? With who? Do I know them? When?”

“Calm down hotshot. I have to go find Jongdae” Taeyeon smiled slyly and winked at Baekhyun before leaving.

Notes:

Oh my god ok im so sorry im such a tease also this story is like almost a year old now which is ng wild anway thank u to my loyal readers i love you and you keep me going <3<3<3