Chapter 36 ¬Xiuhan¬

When I Needed You Most

Minseok was lying in bed, only a sheet covering him. He stretched out and sighed happily. With them being so busy lately it wasn’t very often he and Luhan had time to just be together during the day, but per Luhan’s insistence he had left D.O, Baekhyun, and Tao in charge of the shop for the day so he and Luhan could have some much needed time together. His eyes closed lazily, he didn’t used to get tired after , another sign of age he decided. He glanced over at the empty space next to him, christ, how long does it take Luhan to pee. Maybe when he got back they could just take a nap.

The door opened and closed quietly and Minseok turned to look. Luhan was walking towards the bed wearing tight shorts and an oversized christmas sweater. Part of the household agreement they had all made was no walking around completely . Minseok didn’t mind in that moment though, those shorts looked really good on him. Luhan set something on the nightstand behind one of the empty coffee cups and crawled back into bed.

“What’s that?” Minseok asked, craning his head to get a better look. Luhan distracted him though by straddling him, cupping his face and kissing him softly.

“I love you” Luhan said, pulling back so he could stare at Minseok’s face. Minseok long ago had learned not to be self conscious when Luhan did that. Instead he just stared back, reaching up to brush a strand of hair out of Luhan’s eyes.

“I love you too” He said, smiling. Luhan kissed him again.

“Guess what?” Luhan said, a grin plastering his face. Minseok cocked his head, “I got  the job. You are looking at the new high school assistant football coach- emphasis on the . My . Its gonna look great when I start working out again”

“It already looks great but babe I'm so proud of you!!” Minseok said, pulling Luhan down into a kiss, “When do you start?”

“This week. As soon as they tell me my hours I'll tell you so I can still help out at the coffee shop. I wanted to wait to tell you tonight but you know how bad I am at keeping secrets.”

“When did you find out?”

“This morning. We are still going out though. I made reservations for dinner”

Minseok smiled again and wrapped his arms around Luhan, pulling him down and rolling so they were next to each other, legs tangled.

“I'm so proud of you lu-ge” Minseok said, smiling fondly and leaning over to nuzzle his nose on Luhans.

“Do you remember when we met?” Luhan asked, finding Minseok’s hand between them and linking their fingers together.

“Yeah. It was my sophomore year of high school. You had just moved here and joined the football team.”

“It was before I joined the football team” Luhan said, “We met my first day in Korea. I was at a convenience store trying to buy coffee but my Korean was so bad I was having a lot of trouble. I was all alone and about to cry” Luhan smiled, “but then this button nosed high schooler came up and saw what I was doing and helped me. You even told me which one was best.”

Minseok furrowed his brow, trying to remember. “It probably wasn’t a big deal for you but I never forgot. And then when I started school we were in the same grade and you were on the football team.”

“I don’t remember that. Why didn’t you tell me sooner that was the first time we met?”

Luhan shrugged, “It never came up. I wasn’t sure if you remembered.”

“I wish I did.” Minseok pulled their hands up and kissed Luhan’s knuckles. Luhan smiled but there was obviously something else on his mind.

“Do you remember our first kiss?”

“I remember that” Minseok said, “We hadn’t even started dating yet. We had just won a huge football game, we were gross and covered in mud because it had been raining.”

“We were in the locker rooms, our lockers were always right next to each other” Luhan smiled, “I was just about to start changing when you grabbed me”

“Yep. I had decided that morning I was going to kiss you that night.”

“And you did.”

“I did.” Minseok repeated, “why are we taking this trip down memory lane though?”

“I just- you know when I moved to Korea I never thought,” Luhan cleared his throat, “I never thought I could be this happy” He avoided looking at Minseok’s face, Minseok gently grabbed Luhan’s chin so he was looking at him.

“You’re so gross” Minseok said, kissing Luhan’s nose, causing his face to scrunch up. Minseok laughed. Luhan suddenly sat up, crossing his legs and looking at Minseok. He reached behind the coffee mug and grabbed whatever he had brought with him, holding it behind his back. Minseok still had no idea what it was but he watched Luhan carefully.

“Buckle up okay because I’m about to get really sappy”

“You’re always really sappy” Minseok said smiling fondly.

“Okay” Luhan took a deep breath, “we have been together for like 10 years now and those have been the best 10 years of my life. I wouldn’t want to have spent them with anyone else.”

“Im glad to hear that”

“Can you shut up please I practiced this.”

“Sorry” Minseok didn’t look sorry.

“Okay anyway back to how much I love you, I never want to spend the next ten, twenty, thirty, ecetera ecetera years with anyone else.” Luhan took another deep breath, “So Kim Minseok, my baozi,” He pulled his hand from behind his back and Minseok’s breath caught. “Will you marry me?” Luhan opened the little box revealing a beautiful gold ring. Minseok froze, staring between Luhan’s face and the ring in his hand. He slowly sat up, his eyes fixed on the ring. He gently took the box, staring at the ring.

“I can't believe you proposed to me while I’m ” He said softly. Luhan smiled,

“Well that’s not my fault”

“It kind of is”

“Just answer the ing question!” Luhan punched Minseok’s arm.

“Yes! Yes of course I’ll marry you you idiot” Minseok threw his arms around Luhan so aggressively they almost fell off the bed. “Wait!” Minseok pulled back and jumped off the bed, “I’ll be right back.” He pulled on a pair of pajama bottoms that were on the floor and rushed out of the room.

He returned shortly after with a small box that matched the one Luhan had. “I have to say I am a little disappointed.”he said, returning to the bed and holding the box our to Luhan.

“With what? What’s this?”

“I was supposed to propose first” Minseok pouted a little, causing Luhan to laugh his embarrassing laugh only Minseok was allowed to hear.

“Here let's pretend I didn't. What would you have done?”

“well, I would have done it when both of us were dressed”

“Interesting start but I’ll let you continue.”

“Shut up and let me fake propose to you”

“Okay sorry continue”

“I wanted to go to that garden we used to go to in college, the one you said reminded you of Beijing.” Minseok said, his cheeks turning slightly red, “Do you remember when we broke up for like, two weeks that summer before college? And how we got back together on that bridge over the little river. I remember thinking that day that I never wanted to lose you again”

Luhan couldn’t help the lump forming in his throat, or the tears in his eyes.

“Well. Good news.” He said, “You never will” He leaned down to look at Minseok’s scrunched up face. Minseok smiled and they hugged again, falling back down onto the bed.

“Yours was better” Luhan said,

“It’s not a competition” Minseok laughed,

“I know”

“But if it was, your right. I won.”

“You know i think we both won.” Luhan said. Minseok nodded they curled up as close as humanly possible before falling into a lazy nap.