Chapter 17

When I Needed You Most

Jongdae was sitting on one of the tables outside when Baekhyun pulled up. He had a hat and sweatshirt on and was visibly shivering. Baekhyun parked the car and waited for a second for his head to stop spinning before getting out. Maybe he should have just stayed in bed.

As soon as the cold air hit him he felt a little better and managed a weak smile as Jongdae trotted over. Baekhyun leaned against the car so Jongdae wouldn't see how unsteady he was.

Jongdae stopped in front of him and didn't say anything for a moment. Baekhyun could tell he was trying to be upset at being dragged out in the middle of the night in the middle of winter. But it didn't last long.

"Hows your head?" Jongdae asked quietly.

"Hungry," Baekhyun said, pushing himself off the car.

"How can your head be hungry?" Jongdae asked, a smirk tugging at his lips.

"Jongdae don't ask me questions right now," Baekhyun said, walking into the store. Jongdae rolled his eyes and followed.

Soon they were back in the car with steaming ramen and warm tea. "Whose pants are these?" Jongdae asked, tossing Luhan's pants into the backseat.

Baekhyun shrugged, "I don't know. Luhan was probably having here and just left them."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"Listen Lu-ge is into some ." Baekhyun said, spilling ramen down his shirt, "" Jongdae pulled the pants out of the back seat and used them to dab down Baekhyun's shirt. "Ew, they probably have stains on them" He protested, pushing Jongdae away.

"Well, now they have ramen stains also," Jongdae said, throwing them into the backseat again.

"Jongdae." Baekhyun suddenly turned serious, Jongdae stopped eating and stared at him.

"What"

"We need to go to the store." Baekhyun got the keys and put them in the ignition.

"Whoa whoa, what? Also, you aren't driving anywhere else tonight." Jongdae took the keys out of the ignition.

"Fine, then you drive. I need Candy" Baekhyun got out of the car and walked to the other side, opening the door and pulling Jongdae out.

"What do you need candy for? They sell it at the convenience store."

"I need more than that. Come on there is a 24-hour department store nearby."

"Baekhyun what the..." Baekhyun got in the car and shut the door. Jongdae sighed and got in the drivers side. "Fine. Why do you need a lot of candy?"

"I'll explain when we get there. I also need gingerbread houses."

"At three in the morning? Baekhyun I have work tomorrow." Baekhyun looked at Jongdae with the most pitiful face he could muster.

" Pleaseee Jongdaeee, I'll do anything" He whined, burying his face in Jongdae's shoulder. Jongdae didn't move. "you smell good." Baekhyun began rubbing his nose on Jongdae's arm. Jongdae pushed him away, trying not to smile,

"Ahh get off that tickles. Fine. But you're giving me all the coffee I want tomorrow."

"I don't work tomorrow, Minseok is forcing me to stay home."

"Than I guess you'll have to make me coffee at home."

"Fine," Baekhyun said smugly.

The department store was empty. No one went in at 3am especially two young adults looking to buy what appeared to be all the candy in the store. Baekhyun got a cart. Jongdae stopped him and jumped into the cart.

"What are you doing?"

"Its 3am, no one is here. I'm tired, now push" Jongdae said, pointing straight ahead. Baekhyun obliged, heading for the candy and gingerbread aisle.

They passed a huge display of inflatable lawn decorations and fake trees, the soft Christmas music in the background didn't help the eery feeling the store gave off. Some teenager was mindlessly sweeping and barely even looked up as the two walked by,

"Do you think he is a robot?" Baekhyun whispered.

"probably. How do you think they find employees to work at three in the morning?" Jongdae whispered back. They both stared back at the teenager for a second before quickly moving on. Luckily the candy and the gingerbread houses were on the same aisle.

" Okay you get four gingerbread houses, and if there's like a train or something get two of those. I'm gonna get the candy." Baekhyun instructed. Jongdae sighed and jumped out of the cart to go fulfil his orders.

"When are you going to tell me what this is for?" Jongdae said, piling boxes of kits in the car.

"Later. Are the jolly rancher candy canes any good?"

"Depends, I'm a traditionalist so I really only like the peppermint ones." Jongdae said, "do you need extra frosting?"

"Oh, good idea."

"I should get one for Jongsu to make," Jongdae said, picking up another house.

"Bring him over he can work on mine," Baekhyun said, dumping an armful of peppermint candy canes into the cart. He also tossed in gumdrops, chocolate, red vines, and countless other candies.

"Are you planning on giving yourself a cavity on every single tooth?" Jongdae asked, eyeing the cart that was completely full of candy, "also, this is like two months rent."

"Listen Jongdae, it's fine. I've got it all under control" Baekhyun said, "Look at this! They have little gummy Santa's!" He tossed three bags into the cart.

The person who rang them up was just as monotonous as the teenager sweeping. Baekhyun looked at Jongdae and mouthed "Robot" and both of them giggled like children.

"Your total is 203.75 would you like to donate one dollar to children's hospital?"

"Um yeah," Baekhyun pulled out his wallet.

"Thank you, sir. Your new total is 204.75"

Baekhyun paid him as Jongdae began putting the bags of candy into the cart.

"Thank you and happy holidays," The cashier said, handing Baekhyun the receipt. They pushed the cart out to the car and loaded everything into the backseat.

"Okay now can I take you home?"

"Yeah I think that would be nice," Baekhyun said, yawning. Jongdae shook his head and drove them back to Baekhyun's house.

He stopped the car and was about to open the door when Baekhyun grabbed his arm. He looked serious.

"I need to break up with Taeyeon." He said, staring at the dashboard but retaining a firm grasp on Jongdae's arm.

" Okay ? Do you need to do it right now? It's four am she might not be to-"

"I'm gonna call her" Baekhyun pulled out his phone.

"Whoa whoa buddy." Jongdae reached over and snatched it from him, "Don't wake her up just to dump her okay ? Give it a day."

"Do you think we should break up?" Baekhyun asked, staring at Jongdae intently, Jongdae stared at Baekhyun's hand clutching his jacket and didn't answer. "It's not fair to her," Baekhyun said quietly.

"What isn't?" Jongdae was uncomfortable. The car suddenly seemed very hot.

"I'm going out with her but I like someone else," Baekhyun said, he was staring at Jongdae so intently that Jongdae was worried he would burst into flames or like, lasers would shoot out of Baekhyun's eyes and into Jongdae's brain.

"Okay?" Jongdae wasn't quite sure what else to say, he avoided Baekhyun's glare and kept staring at his hand. Baekhyun moved and suddenly his face was right in front of Jongdae's, so close he couldn't make out features of Baekhyun's face but he could feel his warm breath.

"Baek-"

"Jongdae" Baekhyun sighed, moving forward. Jongdae held his breath. Right before their lips met, Baekhyun missed, slumping onto Jongdae's chest. Jongdae stared down and almost kicked Baekhyun but saw he was fast asleep.

Jongdae pushed his hair out of his face and took a deep breath before gently pushing Baekhyun back onto his seat. He got out of the car and went to the other side, pulling Baekhyun onto his back in a fireman's carry.

Thankfully he had the keys so he was able to open the door and drop Baekhyun on the couch without making too much noise.

He was about to go get the candy out of the car when the kitchen light and Minseok was standing there in boxers, holding a glass of water.

"What the ?" He said, his voice scratchy, "What are you doing here? Is he okay ? What the ? "

"He's fine he's just asleep. He um, was hungry and so we met at the convenience store but then he said he needed candy and gingerbread houses so we went and got those and then he told me he needs to break up with my cousin and then he....fell asleep." Jongdae stammered, trying to defend himself but he wasn't sure why.

"Oh my god. Did he take Luhan's car?"

"Yeah. Can you help me get all the candy out of the car?"

"Um, sure," Minseok said, he went to his room and returned seconds later in sweats and a hoodie that was too big for him, Jongdae assumed it was Luhan's. They trudged out to the car and between the two of them were able to bring in all the bags in one trip.

"Are these Luhan's pants? Why are they wet?"

"Um, they were on the passenger seat when I got in and they are wet because Baekhyun is a messy eater and there were no paper towels in the car."

Minseok sighed and tossed the pants into the corner. "Do you need a ride home?"

"no I don't want you to have to do that, I'll just crash here."

"Okay, I can take you home on my way to the coffee shop," Mineseok said, yawning and padding back off to bed.

Jongdae stared at Baekhyun for awhile, sprawled out and snoring softly on the sofa. He didn't want to have to bring him all the way back to his room so Jongdae brought all Baekhyun's blankets out. He took off Baekhyun's shoes and jacket and hat and positioned him so he was more comfortable on the sofa before tucking the biggest blanket he could find around him.

He piled the rest of the blankets on the ground and laid down, but he wasn't able to fall asleep. His mind kept replaying the moment when Baekhyun fell asleep, he knew it was headed towards a kiss but Baek just wasn't able to make it all the way, he knew it was probably because Baekhyun has severe head trauma.

Baekhyun would probably forget it all in the morning, Jongdae decided. He wasn't sure if that made him feel better or worse. Jongdae was still awake when Minseok re-emerged to go to work.

 

A/N: OKay listen im so sorry this took forever!!! I have had this whole scene in my head for months but I moved and started working and taking care of my mom and things just kinda got away from me but I promise to start updating more regularly!!! Anyway here is a chapter of solely baekchen to satisfy you and also I promise we r moving in that direction. Anyway as always, tell me what you think and thank you for reading and being loyal to my sporadic !!! <3