Chapter 1

When I Needed You Most

It was 8:15 pm and it was snowing so hard the buses were stopped. No one could get through unless they had a private car and good luck getting a taxi in this blizzard. Minseok sighed out the window of his café and texted Luhan asking him to pick him up. Thankfully Luhan had a car otherwise Minseok might have been stuck there all night.

Technically the small café wasn’t supposed to close for another two hours but there wasn’t going to be anyone coming by in this weather so Minseok made the executive decision to close early. He had sent his part-timer, Kyungsoo (Or D.O as he insisted everyone call him) home once the storm picked up so that the college student would make it before the busses stopped. Minseok liked running the café by himself, it was peaceful.

By 8:23 pm he had finished stacking the chairs on the tables and was wiping down the counter, making sure everything was clean and ready to go for the morning, when the little bell rung. Minseok was in the back sorting the receipts for the day but he quickly emerged, with his customer service smile on.

“Oh sorry…are you closed?” The man at the door looked just a few seconds from death. He was shaking which made sense seeing as he was just wearing an ugly Christmas sweater that had frozen over. He looked like he would be very handsome but his face was too pale and his eyes almost bloodshot.

“No! no we are still open!” Minseok considered offering to help the man but instead he took one of the chairs off the table and set it out, “Have a seat please”

The stranger hobbled over and sat down, he rubbed his hands together in an attempt to warm them. 

“What can I get you?”

“Do you hot chocolate?” The stranger looked almost embarrassed.

“Of course it’ll be right up.” Minseok rushed to prepare the hot chocolate but also warmed up a muffin and grabbed an extra jacket from the back. He brought out all three and the man looked almost startled. “We can’t sell baked goods the second day anyways and you looked like you need it. Also, this was left by one of our employees and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind you borrowing it.”

The stranger gratefully took the jacket and held the hot cup trying to soak up the warmth. Minseok wasn’t sure whether to keep trying to talk to the man or to finish cleaning up, so he just kind of stood there for a few seconds.

“Thank you “The man finally, “Also sorry to come in right before you were closing.”

“Oh please don’t worry about it I have to wait for my ride anyway and we don’t officially close for another couple hours.” Minseok laughed, “But if you don’t mind me asking, why are you out like this?”

“Oh, that’s a long story.” The man sort of chuckled but it seemed forced. He actually seemed closer to crying. Minseok didn’t push it and returned to his nightly duties. He bagged the remaining baked goods and set them on the counter to bring back for his roommates and was just hanging his apron when the door rang again and Luhan and (to his surprise) Baekhyun came in arguing (that wasn’t a surprise).

“There is no way!” Baekhyun was protesting, loudly, as usual.

“Fine. I bet you five dollars. If he doesn’t call by midnight you win but I assure you, he will call.” They stood in the doorway staring at each other for a few moments before Baekhyun nodded and held out his hand.

“Fine. Five dollars. But he isn’t going to call” Luhan looked just as determined and clasped Baekhyun’s hand.

“Guy’s I really could care less about whatever you’re betting on but can you please do it with the door closed.” Minseok said almost distractedly from closing up the cash register and double checking everything was turned off.

“Hey if Jongin calls you tonight Baekhyun owes me five bucks,” Luhan said, closing the door and moving over to give Minseok a hug.

“Why is Baekhyun even here?” Minseok sighed as Baekhyun scampered over to the bag on the counter and took out a muffin, “Hey that’s coming out of your paycheck”

“You were gonna give it to me anyways” He muttered around a mouthful of muffin.

“You know how he gets if we don’t take him out for regular walks,” Luhan responded, his arms still around Minseok. Minseok gently pried his way out of Luhan’s grasp.

“Um.” Minseok had all but forgotten about the stranger in his Café, but he was standing up holding out the jacket.

“Hey that’s mine I’ve been looking for it”

“Maybe stop using your job as your second closet” Luhan retorted. Baekhyun responded with the finger.

“Sorry, how much do I owe you? I’ll let you go.” The stranger muttered.

“Don’t worry about it, and hang on to the jacket, for now, you need it,” Minseok said. “Just bring it back whenever one of us is always here”

The stranger glanced at Baekhyun then back at Minseok. “He has plenty of jackets he won’t miss that one I assure you,” Luhan said after a moment.

“Where are you going? You look like death.”

“Baekhyun we’ve talked about this. Tact.” Luhan chided.

“I have a friend in the city I’m probably going to sleep there tonight.” The stranger said quietly.

“Dude the city is like, so far away and nothing is running right now were you just gonna walk?”

“Um yeah” The stranger wasn’t meeting Baekhyun, or anyone’s, eyes. Baekhyun leapt over the counter to Minseok and Luhan.

“Can we take him home?” He asked.

“Oh, I’m always up for a trade.” Luhan responded.

“Baek I don’t know if that’s a good idea.” Minseok glanced at the man.

“Oh come on he looks harmless and can we really let him walk anywhere in this weather? He looks like he is about to die. He can sleep in Luhan’s bed and then tomorrow we can drop him off in the city”

“Why my bed?”

“Because we all know you don’t even sleep there anymore the walls aren’t that thick” Baekhyun threw it out casually but both Minseok and Luhan turned slightly pink. After no one said anything Baekhyun returned to plead, “Come on guys! Trust me!”

The two older men exchanged glances.

“He can’t be worse than Baekhyun,” Luhan said after a moment. Finally, Minseok sighed and turned to the stranger who was awkwardly trying not to listen to the conversation.

“Hey, what’s your name?” He walked up and held out his hand.

“Uh. Jongdae, Kim Jongdae.”

“I’m Minseok, this is Luhan and Baekhyun. Do you want to spend the night at our place? We have an extra bed and a shower and honestly you will probably die if you try to walk anywhere tonight.”

“I couldn’t impose on you” Jongdae tried to protest, Baekhyun, however, grabbed his jacket from Jongdae and flung it around Jongdae’s shoulders.

“We insist,” He said, putting his arm around Jongdae and leading him out of the shop. Minseok and Luhan quickly cleaned up the rest of the shop and closed the door, making sure it was locked.

“Why did you let him come?” Minseok asked quietly, watching Baekhyun struggle to shove Jongdae into the backseat. 

“He insisted. He said he was hungry and knew if I went alone we would, and I quote, ‘ in the car until he died of starvation’”

“Charming” Minseok muttered. Luhan shrugged but didn’t say anything.

Almost as soon as they got back to the small house they shared Minseok’s phone rang.

“Ah, Jonginah…” Luhan started jumping up and down pointing to the phone, Baekhyun fell to the ground dramatically. “…yeah, of course, I’ll make sure they are fed and safe….yes, of course, give Taemin our love…okay be safe, goodnight” He hung up and turned to find Luhan wrestling with Baekhyun on the floor.

“You…. Owe….. Me ……five ……bucks!!”

“No! Save me! Hyung! He is going to kill me!”

Minseok ignored that mess and stepped around to Jongdae, “Here come with me you should take a hot shower to warm up. LUHAN-“he pointedly glared over his shoulder “-is going to make dinner. The bathroom is down the hall if you leave the door unlocked ill have Baek leave some of his clothes you can wear you guys look about the same size.”

“Thank you,” Jongdae said, “Are they… always like that?” He gestured to the two on the floor, Luhan had Baekhyun pinned under his elbow and had Baekhyun’s wallet in another hand.

“Wait! We don’t know why he called!” Baekhyun gasped, “Hyung why did he call?”

“He said he was spending the night at the studio with Taemin and told me to make sure his kids are okay”

“” Baekhyun breathed as Luhan moved so he was sitting entirely on Baekhyun’s chest, “is this your idea of Luhan because it isn’t working also Minseok is right there.”

Luhan pulled a five dollar bill out of Baekhyun’s wallet and stood up throwing the wallet back onto Baekhyun’s chest.

“I don’t know I am pretty ” Luhan winked at Minseok and put the money in his own pocket. Baekhyun was still trying to breathe on the floor.

“They are usually much worse,” Minseok said, in answer to Jongdae’s question. Jongdae nodded, his eyes wide, before turning to the bathroom. 

As soon as the bathroom door closed Baekhyun stood up and straightened his shirt. “Hey Luhan I bet you five dollars I can eat my ramen faster than you”

“Not gonna happen Baek, you lost.” Luhan called from the kitchen

“Hey bring some warm clothes to the bathroom for Jongdae.” Minseok said, shooing Baekhyun to his room.

While the water was boiling Luhan went to change into comfortable clothes in his room.

“Um, Minseok there is a leak in my room. I like, put a bucket under it but it’s right above my bed” Luhan said.

“That’s fine we can have someone fix it tomorrow. You don’t sleep there anyway” Minseok said with a side smile.

“I know that’s fine but um. We did promise that bed to the stranger in our bathroom”

“Have him sleep in Jongin’s room.”

“Okay the issue with that-“Baekhyun emerged out of nowhere and offered his unwanted opinion, “-is that there are like, eight dogs in that bed right now and no space for a human. Also, do any of us know the last time Jongin washed his sheets?”

“So we change the sheets?” Minseok said

“Okay if you want to be the one to move all twelve of his dogs off the bed and change the sheets and then find somewhere else for them to sleep be my guest”

“So what is your suggestion almighty Mr. Byun” Luhan asked

“I don’t have any suggestions I just thought you all should know that Jongin’s bed is out of the question.”

“There is the couch,” Minseok said,

“Um, that also won’t work.”

“Oh my god. Why?”

“Okay um listen you guys are in your honeymoon phase still but as someone who has, in the past, been forced to sleep on the couch, you guys should know, that it is so ing cold in here, also, Minseok wakes up at like, the asscrack of dawn and starts doing god knows what in the kitchen and it’s so loud.”

“Okay fine. Where do you want him to sleep then Baekhyun? Your bed?” Luhan snorted.

“I mean…”

“Oh god”

“It’s the only option. Unless you want him to sleep with you guys, in that case, you should make sure he is into that and make sure you have a safe word.”

“Okay fine shut up” Minseok pushed Baekhyun off the counter and he fell with a yelp, “Make sure he is okay with that.”

Baekhyun crawled away from the kitchen and to the bathroom where Jongdae was emerging. Baekhyun froze.

Jongdae’s hair was wet and tussled from the towel and he looked more like a normal colour now. Baekhyun’s clothes fit him perfectly and now that he looked farther from death Baekhyun realized something alarming.

Jongdae was gorgeous.

“Um hey um. So the bed we promised you has a leak above it and the other bed is full of like, 30 dogs and um the couch Is cold and Minseok is annoying so like if you are okay with that you might have to sleep in my bed, um.. With me, but like if you’re uncomfortable with it at all I can like. Sleep on the floor of my room, I’m used to sleeping on the floor”

“I don’t mind sharing,” Jongdae said half grinning at Baekhyun’s almost embarrassment, “If you are”

“Oh no, I don’t have a problem with it I mean it’s big enough.” Baekhyun stammered trying not to blush.

 

They ate dinner, the entire time Baekhyun trying to bet Luhan something to get his five dollars back but Luhan refused to rise to the occasion.

“I bet five dollars you can’t go a week without ing Minseok”

“Wait don’t make me suffer for this” Minseok interjected.

“Okay fine but I bet you can’t go a week without ”

“That’s you Baekhyun. I don’t need to ” Luhan made doe-eyes at Minseok which made everyone nearly vomit.

“Okay listen fine please we are eating and trying to be civilized.” Baekhyun covered his eyes.

“You’re the one that brought up ,” Jongdae said. Baekhyun was almost speechless and Luhan laughed into his ramen.

“Finally met someone who doesn’t take your bull,” He said, “I commend you, Jongdae was it?”

“Yeah thank you” Jongdae smiled. Baekhyun recovered quickly.

“I bet you five dollars Jongin brings Taemin home with him tomorrow”

“Why would he do that? There is no reason for Taemin to come over tomorrow.”

“Then you should be fine to bet me five dollars.”

“Okay but let’s raise the steaks”

“Luhan please” Minseok sighed without much backing, “soon he will be paying your whole rent share”

“10$ says Jongin doesn’t bring Taemin over tomorrow”

“Oh, hard bargain but I am confident.”

“Also, neither of us are allowed to text or call Jongin or Taemin.” Luhan put his phone on the table and slid it to Minseok. “Minseok will take both our phones to make sure that we don’t tell him anything”

“I can’t give him my phone I’m not sure if I’ll be working tomorrow and that’s how I keep in touch with my clients.” Baekhyun said, "I, unlike some people, have a real job."

“Guys this is really dumb. Even for you” Minseok didn’t touch Luhan’s phone, “I’m not gonna be your mediator.”

“Fine.” Luhan pocketed his phone, “But we all know Jongin is too pure to rise to our bets so if I ask him tomorrow and he says you texted him you owe me 20 more dollars for cheating.”

“Fine.” Baekhyun and Luhan shook hands

“Do you guys spend all your paychecks on making bets about Jongin?” Jongdae asked eyeing them with something akin to amusement.

“Sometimes they are about other things. I guess Jongin is just tonight’s focus because he is absent” Minseok supplied when Luhan and Baekhyun were about to protest. “Soon I’m just gonna start giving Baekhyun’s paycheck from the café to Luhan directly”

“Okay, first of all, Luhan does not win enough for that and second of all Luhan is the one that like, pays the landlord so technically he gets that paycheck anyways.” Baekhyun pouted into his ramen.

Jongdae opened his mouth to say something but was overcome with a huge fit of coughs. When he finally calmed down everyone was staring at him with concern.

“Sorry” he choked

“Dude, are you okay?” Luhan asked, “That sounded not great.”

“Oh no, I’ve had this cough for uh. For a while now. But it’s fine”

“You should get it checked out. I can drive you to the hospital tomorrow if you want.”

“Really its fine I can’t afford to go to the hospital over a little cough.” Jongdae played it off nonchalantly but he looked self-conscious.

“So what do you do Jongdae? I mean. If you are going to be sleeping here we should know a little more about you right” Baekhyun seemed to pick up on Jongdae’s discomfort and changed the subject, which Jongdae looked grateful for.

“I recently became unemployed,” He said as if it was practiced, “Actually I became unemployed today. This afternoon. Um, the same time I got kicked out of my house.”

“ bro,” Baekhyun said

“It’s like. Its fine I mean I’m going to my friend in the city’s house and he does music so he can probably get me a job. I also used to work at an elementary school so I might go back there.”

“Are you like…a teacher?” Luhan asked

“No not by a long stretch. I taught the kids to sing and like, led the choir there. My friend was the accompanist so he can probably get me back that job until I find something better.”

“Baekhyun has a similar job” Minseok pointed out, and Jongdae looked questioningly at Baekhyun,

“They let you around children?” He asked trying not to sound too shocked, Luhan almost choked.

“Hey! I am very mature! Yes, they let me around children.”

“I thought you worked at the coffee shop though?”

“Two part-time jobs. The café is for rent and the lessons are for everything else”

“Wow you’re hard working,” Jongdae said with not a small amount of sarcasm. Baekhyun wasn’t amused. “So that’s why you need that five dollars back so badly” 

“No, I need the five dollars for something else.”

“You know you can’t buy back pride” Luhan pointed out.

“Anyway Jongdae if you find a place to live and you need a roommate feel free to save me from this hell”

“Okay I’ll let you know” Jongdae chuckled

They finished the meal and Baekhyun cleaned up, Jongdae forced himself to help citing it was the “least I can do”. After they were done Luhan and Minseok already had the door closed so they didn’t bother them.

It occurred to Baekhyun as he was opening the door to his room that he hadn’t had anyone else in there in quite a long time, but before he could stop to warn Jongdae he had already opened the door and turned don the light.

“Oh um. Sorry, I haven’t had guests in a while just. Um. One second” Baekhyun turned pink and scrambled to throw armloads of clothes into the closet. The biggest mess, however, was the large spread of papers everywhere. The desk and an electric keyboard, his dresser, a good three-quarters of the bed, all covered with papers.

“Is this…sheet music?” Jongdae had picked up a stack on the keyboard and was thumbing through it.

“Yeah um I’m a piano teacher, I like give private lessons, and my friend composes sometimes and he like sent me a ton of stuff to see if I can use any of it but like I haven’t finished sorting it yet.” Baekhyun began to stack the papers and it looked like he was organized but in the end, he ended up flinging them all onto the floor next to his desk. “I’ll fix that tomorrow.” He said, shaking out the bed sheets to make sure there weren't any other weird things hiding in them.

“Yixing…Zhang Yixing?” Jongdae was still looking at a stack of music, “He goes by Lay sometimes?”

“Uh yeah, he is the one who composed some of this, why? Do you know him?”

“Yeah he is the friend I mentioned, I’m gonna stay with him and hopefully get back my job with him.” Jongdae smiled, “small world”

“Oh yeah, I’ve known Yixing for years. I’ve known Yixing as long as I’ve known Luhan actually. They both moved here from China around the same time. Too bad Luhan decided he needed roommates and not Yixing I’d much prefer to live with him ha-ha.” Baekhyun tended to ramble when he was nervous. He knew this about himself but he hoped Jongdae hadn’t picked up on it yet.

“Well, he’s a good friend. This means we will probably see each other again after this.” Jongdae said, crawling into the bed. Baekhyun turned off the light and joined him. It had been a long time since Baekhyun had shared a bed but he realized that he had missed having someone else next to him.

The snow hadn’t let up and the next morning there was snow up to the windows. Minseok assured them all that it would either melt or be cleared by the afternoon but that meant all Baekhyun’s morning lessons would be cancelled.

Baekhyun spent most of the morning sorting through the music Yixing had left, he would play through it and sort it by difficulty putting it in files on his bookshelf. Jongdae kept him company, sitting on his bed reading one of Baekhyun’s books or sight singing some of the pieces. It was peaceful and Baekhyun never enjoyed working alone.

“This one is nice but it’s really complicated” Baekhyun noted, passing a piece pack to Jongdae. “This is why he doesn’t teach”

Around one thirty the snow had cleared enough for the buses to be working again, and that meant Jongin’s return.

Jongin wasn’t loud and Baekhyun didn’t even notice he was home until there was yelling from the other room. Curious, he and Jongdae got up and came in to see Luhan trying to shove a disgruntled Taemin out the door while Jongin was trying to pry Luhan off of Taemin. Baekhyun yelped and rushed over jumping Luhan and pulling him away from Taemin,

“Hand it over!” He demanded. Luhan shook his head.

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” He said. Baekhyun pushed Luhan onto the couch and pinned him down, a reversal of what happened the night before, searching for Luhan’s wallet, “Oh are you really gonna feel me up with Minseok in the room?”

“Where is your wallet?”

“I don’t have one”

“MINSEOK”

“Luhan you did place the bet just give him the money or we’ll never hear the end of it.” Minseok barely looked up from the book he was reading, “And hey Taemin there is some coffee if you want it.”

“Thank you Minseok.” Taemin went to the kitchen, “Want some Jongin?”

“Did you guys make some sort of bet about me again?” Jongin demanded of Luhan and Baekhyun who were still on the couch. 

“No no no no.” Both of them said, standing up and brushing off. As soon as he was up Baekhyun vaulted over the couch towards Minseok’s room, locking the door behind him just as Luhan recovered and reached the door.

“IT’S NOT IN THERE” Luhan shouted through the door.

“KIDS! YOUR DAD IS HOME” Jongin shouted, there was a pause and then the patter of small feet as what appeared to be a heard of poodles came from the direction of his room and mauled Jongin. “Hey, guys did they take care of you? I missed you guys.”

Jongdae had been watching from the doorway and got startled when suddenly Taemin was in front of him. “Hey, I’m Taemin nice to meet you,” He said, holding out his hand.

“Um. I’m Jongdae. I just spent the night because I couldn’t get home last night”

“That’s why you’re in Baekhyun’s clothes.” Taemin nodded. Jongdae wondered how Taemin could know Baekhyun’s wardrobe so well but judging by the sleek pants, grey shirt and pink parka Taemin was wearing he knew a lot about fashion, “So that’s Jongin he isn’t ignoring you to be rude he just hasn’t seen his kids for over twenty-four hours”

Jongdae nodded and was about to say something else when Minseok’s door opened abruptly and Luhan fell into the room with a crash. “Byun Baekhyun I swear to ing chris-“

“Please do not say that language around me as I am younger than you and impressionable.” Baekhyun said seriously, “you set an example for everyone here and I need you to start taking responsablit-“Baekhyun was cut off as Luhan stood up and vaulted himself towards the younger man. Baekhyun dodged Luhan and stood next to Jongdae.

Jongdae felt something slip into his pocket and then Baekhyun moved away holding up his hands “I didn’t take anything!” He said, “Even though you lost the bet because we can all see Lee Taemin standing here in this room right now, I am being generous enough to not take my reward”

Jongdae stuck his hand into his pocket and felt three bills Baekhyun glanced at him and winked and Jongdae couldn’t decide whether to smile or roll his eyes.

“Okay, Baekhyun but if there is any money missing from my wallet I swear to god…”

“Can’t you guys shut up for like one second?” Jongin stood up from petting his dogs and went to stand next to Taemin.

“Fine. We were just leaving anyways.” Luhan muttered. “You need a ride Jongdae?”

“Yeah, please. Actually, Baekhyun said you know my friend Yixing?”

“Yeah, of course, the bastard. As soon as you’re ready we can go”

Jongdae nodded and went back to Baekhyun’s room to get his clothes. He put the money Baekhyun had taken from Luhan on Baekhyun’s pillow, after a moment of hesitation he grabbed a sticky note and scrawled his phone number before leaving.