Chapter 29

When I Needed You Most

The day of their date was the longest day of Jongdae’s life. That wasn’t true, but it was a strong contender. It didn’t help that they had to see each other that morning before the date, so Jongdae couldn’t even be stressed alone; he had to pretend that it wasn’t a big deal, and he could tell Baekhyun was doing the same thing which made it worse.

They had moved from Jongdae’s cramped classroom into the auditorium where they would be performing. Baekhyun was helping set up the fake tree in the corner while Jongdae practiced transitions with the kids. Occasionally they would make eye contact and look away quickly. Jongdae wanted to explode.

“Mr. Kim I can’t stand next to Mark he is a lot taller than me and it will look weird.”

“Don’t worry Jackson, no one will be able to tell when you’re staggered.” Jongdae gently guided Jackson onto the riser.

“What is Teacher Kim doing here?” a little boy who liked to go by the nickname Woozi screeched, pointing to the entrance to the auditorium. Jonghyun was walking towards the stage with long strides and a dark expression. “Hello Teacher!” Woozi said, smiling brightly. Jonghyun smiled back and ruffled Woozi’s hair. Jongdae noticed out of the corner of his eye Baekhyun had stopped hanging decorations and was watching Jonghyun carefully.

“Hey Jongdae they need you to go to the office really quick, uh, something came up with Jongsu. It’s my prep time so I can watch your class for now. We can run through something if you need?” Jonghyun said quietly.

“Oh um yeah, yeah I guess just run through the setlist from the top? Uh, Baekhyun knows the music and can help...” Jongdae gestured for Baekhyun, “I have to go take care of something can you just help Jonghyun run from the top?”

“Yeah of course.” Baekhyun said, looking with concern at Jongdae. Jongdae nodded and tried not to run out of the room and to the principal's office.

 

“Uh, I’m here for Jongsu?” He said to the receptionist, she pointed into the principal's office. Jongsu was sitting in one of the chairs, his hair was messed up and his face scratched up and he had been crying. Jongdae didn’t even greet the principal, Jung Sooyeon, all he could think about was Jongsu.

“What happened? Are you okay? Did you get into a fight?” He tilted Jongsu’s face, trying to look at the scratches, “did someone do this to you?” Jongsu pushed away his hand and buried his face in his knees, not saying anything.

“Mr. Kim, thank you for coming.” Sooyeon said, Jongdae slowly sat in the other chair.

“What happened?” Jongdae kept staring at Jongsu with concern.

“We aren’t really sure actually, he hasn’t said a word since he got here. But from what the yard duties said he, something happened and he just kind of lost it. He attacked another child and then tried to run away.”

“Who is the other kid? Where are they? Why did he attack them?”

“The other child went home already, she got scraped up but she will be fine.” Sooyeon said,

“What did she say to Jongsu?”

“Well that is the issue, she already left, her mother is livid. She will be asking for a disciplinary hearing. Jongsu won’t say anything.”

“Disciplinary hearing?? For what?”

“Well, Jongdae, your nephew did attack another child,”

“That is only half the story.”

“Well, until Jongsu decides to defend himself...”

“Stop talking about me I can hear you” Jongsu said quietly, he looked like he was crying again. Jongdae reached over and rubbed his back comfortingly.

“You’re right Jongsu. Are you okay? Why don’t you go to the nurse okay? I’ll get you there okay?” Jongdae said,

“He should-”

“It’s okay Jongsu,” Jongdae interrupted Sooyeon and Jongsu stood up quietly and left. As soon as the door closed Sooyeon rounded on Jongdae.

“He should have been here to defend himself.”

“He isn’t going to defend himself to you and he shouldn’t have to. Why did the other girl get to  go home early and I was just now informed that this was even happening? I have been on campus all day and I would have liked to have spoken to her parents or even known about this before now. I should have been the first person informed.”

“Jongdae please calm down, there’s more you should know.” Sooyeon said, looking down uncomfortably. Jongdae leaned back and stared at her expectantly.

“You...there...there have been other concerning things regarding Jongsu recently.”

“What?”

“He has been acting different, not paying attention as much, not socialising with his old friends, he has been isolating himself and it's not healthy for a child his age, the fact that he has been isolating so much combined with this...outburst...has led me to have some, concerns”

“Concerns?” Jongdae was worried he knew where this was going.

“I am aware that you have spoken to an agent from the child protection services?”

“Yes? Awhile ago right after his dad’s death”

“I just, am concerned about Jongsu’s home environment.” Sooyeon said, glancing down and clearing . Jongdae was speechless, “I have decided to get back in touch with the old agent, Kim Kibum I believe, and reopen the child protective services case.”

“Why? Are you serious?”

“Yes Jongdae, I am aware that a lot has been going on in your family and I just want to make sure Jongsu is safe and healthy. It’s not a big deal if everything is fine but it is difficult to go from no responsibility to having a preteen overnight and you are doing your best for Jongsu absolutely but there are just some signs that cannot be ignored. I hope you understand.”

Jongdae tried not to look as upset as he felt, this was his boss and she effectively had his whole life in her hands.. He looked up at her and smiled,

“Absolutely I understand. If it’s alright with you I think today has been a lot so I’m going to pull Jongsu out of the rest of his classes for the day and take him home.”

“I agree that would be best for today. Thank you Jongdae, and please remember I am rooting for you, I have to put Jongsu’s safety before any professional friendship we have.”

“I understand completely.” Jongdae said, bowing his head and standing up, “I still would like to speak to the parents of the other girl involved with the fight if that is okay.”

“Absolutely, I will forward you their information. I know her mother wanted to speak to you as well.”

“Thank you.” Jongdae said, bowing once more before he left.

 

Jongsu was sitting on the bed in the nurse's room, the new nurse had just finished putting a bandaid on Jongsu’s face and was giving him ice for what appeared to be  black eye forming. Jongdae knelt next to him and gently his tear streaked face. “Hey bud.” He said softly. Jongsu sniffed and clutched his pant leg. Jongdae pried his fingers loose and held his hand.

“Do you wanna go home?” Jongdae asked. Jongsu nodded, sniffing again and not looking up. “Okay. I have to take care of a couple things do you want to come with me or do you want to stay here and I’ll come get you?”

“Stay” Jongsu said, Jongdae stood up,

“Okay, I’ll be back before you know it okay?”

 

Jongdae made it back to the auditorium just as class was ending, Jonghyun and Baekhyun were wrapping up and sending the kids off, they both looked up as Jongdae walked in.

“What happened? Is everything okay?” Baekhyun asked. Jongdae didn’t say anything.

“We ran through everything and they sound great Jongdae” Jonghyun said, handing Jongdae his folder.

“Thank you sunbae. I’m going to take Jongsu home, he’s had a rough morning.” Jongdae said, staring at the binder. He could feel Baekhyun’s eyes burning into him. He couldn’t bring himself to make eye contact.

“Is he okay?” Baekhyun asked, Jongdae nodded, then shrugged, then ran his hand through his hair.

“We’ll see. Thank you, Jonghyun, for watching my class, you shouldn’t be late to your next class.” Jongdae said. Jonghyun nodded,

“I’ll see you tonight then.” he said, clasping Jongdae’s arm and then leaving to return to his own classroom.

“What happened?” Baekhyun asked again as soon as Jonghyun was gone. Jongdae was worried that if he tried to explain to Baekhyun he would lose his composure so he just packed up his things.

“I uh, Jongsu got into a fight, or something, I don’t really know. But I’m going to take him home for the rest of the day,”

“Do we need to reschedule for tonight?” Baekhyun was packing up his own things.

“No no, don’t...we are still on.” Jongdae said, “It’s really not a big deal probably I just want to make sure he’s okay.” He said, his voice was strained. Baekhyun grabbed his bag off his shoulder.

“I’m leaving too so I’ll walk you out.” He said. Jongdae smiled gratefully. He wanted to touch Baekhyun’s arm or hold his hand or something but they had already discussed absolutely no pda at the school per his request. They made their way up to the front office where Sooyeon was waiting with Jongsu. Jongsu ran to Jongdae and almost hid behind him, twisting his hand up in Jongdae’s sweater.

“Here, here are the parents contact information. I wanted to get it to you before you left.” She handed Jongdae a post it note which he pocketed,

“Thank you”

“I will be in touch for a disciplinary meeting by the end of this week” She said, she turned to Baekhyun, “you must be the accompanist. I’ve heard wonderful things and if you are looking for a permanent position-”

“Thank you but this is more of a favor than anything else.” Baekhyun said.

“Well, if you change your mind please do not hesitate to reach out.” She handed him a business card which he shoved in his bag and smiled.

“I’m flattered but like I said, I have two very fulfilling jobs.”

“Then consider that a souvenir” She smiled. Baekhyun nodded but didn’t really smile back. Jongdae turned and tried to leave, “And Jongdae,” he stopped and glanced at Baekhyun, “I do hope you aren’t upset with me. I think we both have Jongsu’s best interests at heart” Jongdae turned around and smiled brightly and almost painfully,

“I agree. Now if you’ll excuse us, I think it’s time to leave.” Jongdae turned around again and left the room without looking back. Baekhyun was almost frozen for a second before he bowed quickly to Sooyeon and followed.

 

“Uncle-” Jongsu said quietly as soon as they were outside, Jongdae stopped and knelt in the snow so they were at eye level.

“Does it hurt?” He asked, looking at the bandaid on Jongsu’s face. Jongsu shook his head.

“Uncle,” he looked like he was going to cry again, “I’m sorry-”

“Hey” Jongdae pulled Jongsu into a hug, “Let’s talk about this later okay? You aren’t in any trouble right now though okay?” Jongdae turned around and knelt down, “Come on, hop on” He said, Jongsu wrapped his arms around Jongdae’s neck and Jongdae stood up, hoisting Jongsu onto his back. Baekhyun was standing off to the side.

“I can give you your bag back tonight if you want. Unless you need it today  - just so you don’t have to carry it all the way home.” He said.

“Thank you that would be great.” Jongdae said, “Thank you”

“You already said that.” Baekhyun said, glancing around before kissing Jongdae’s forehead. He kissed Jongsu’s as well then waved before turning and walking away quickly.

 

Jongdae carried Jongsu home and helped him wash the dirt out of his hair and put his school clothes into the laundry so he could wash them later. Jongsu didn’t say anything while Jongdae made ramen for lunch or while they curled up on the sofa with a christmas movie Jongdae wasn’t paying attention to.  

He worried about Jongsu but more than that he wondered what would happen if they found out who killed Jongdeok, the name, Park Chanyeol, kept popping into his head. He wanted to ask Baekhyun about it but he didn’t want to jeopardize their relationship or make Baekhyun uncomfortable. He could ask Minseok, he knew Chanyeol as long as Baekhyun did.

He was also worried for the inevitable visit from Kim Kibum, he was sure he was providing for Jongsu well but he was worried Kibum would find something to take him down with, and then what. He would lose Jongsu. He wasn’t going to let that happen.

By the time the movie was over it was time for Jongdae to get ready for the date, he had almost forgotten about it if he was being perfectly honest. Not because he wasn’t excited but because he had so much else going on. He was glad that he had picked out his outfit the night before so he could just shower and get dressed.

He wasn't sure what they were doing so he went with dark pants and a turtleneck with a jacket. He pushed his hair back and put on cologne. He worried it was too much but before he could change his mind Jonghyun was there telling him he looked great.

“Okay so I left money and take out menu’s on the fridge for when you get hungry, I’ll have my phone if anything happens. Bedtime is at 9, he knows what to do but basically he just needs to brush his teeth, he likes to read to fall asleep, um, he did all his homework so unless he wants to practice piano you can just watch tv or play video games or whatever,”

“Jongdae please,” Jonghyun smiled, shoving Jongdae out the door, “I’ve got this. You just have fun.” Jonghyun slipped something into Jongdae’s pocket and closed the door behind him.

Jongdae reached in and rolled his eyes as he pulled out a with a sticky note that read “Have fun ;)”

Jongdae put it in his wallet and caught the bus to Minseok’s coffee shop, their agreed meeting place. Casual date. Just, coffee, casual. That’s what they had discussed, agreed on. No (they hadn’t talked about it but Jongdae had made that rule in his head). No alcohol. Just casual, casual-- Jongdae stopped.

Why was he freaking out, this wasn’t even like their first date. Although he didn’t count the other times this was not the first time just the two of them had gone out at night, also it wasn’t like they were strangers meeting for the first time over coffee, they already had a solid knowledge of each other, nothing to be nervous about.

Jongdae stopped outside the coffee shop, he remembered the first time he had stumbled in, the first day he had met Baekhyun. Baekhyun, a whirlwind, an annoying, tiring, clingy, beautiful whirlwind. The first night they had shared a bed, the pillow fort they had made, wal mart in the middle of the night, everything seemed like a dream, unreal.

“What are you smiling about?” Jongdae had gotten so engrossed in thinking about Baekhyun he didn’t notice the real thing approaching him. Baekhyun was wearing dark jeans and a pea coat, a black beanie covered his head pushing strands of hair into his eyes. He looked beautiful

“Nothing” Jongdae said, trying to hide his smile, Baekhyun looked at  him suspiciously, “Did you really plan our first date to be at your job?”

“ no. I don’t want Luhan breathing down our necks, this just seemed like a good meeting place.” Baekhyun said, bounding up and hugging Jongdae’s arm, “We are going somewhere else”

“Lead the way Byun” Jongdae said, Baekhyun stopped and stared at him. “What?”

“We are dating now. It is Mr. Byun or nothing” He said seriously, Jongdae stared back at him for a second,

“Byunnie?”

“Ew” They kept walking, Jongdae had no idea where they were going but Baekhyun’s hand had somehow found its way into Jongdae’s pocket and they were almost tripping trying to walk to close to each other.

“Byun Sunbaenimmmm” Jongdae whined. Baekhyun groaned loudly and pulled away slightly, Jongdae pulled him back, “fine, Mr. Byun. Where are we going?” 
“Well, my dear hoobae” Baekhyun said grandly, “We are going to a different coffee shop”

“You’re kidding.”

“Nope. We said lowkey. I googled lowkey first dates and every single result said coffee shop. Most also said make sure the person you are meeting offline is a real person but I figured if you were trying to catfish me you would have taken what you wanted already”

“What if what I wanted was to go on a date to a coffee shop you don’t work in?”

“Well then I guess it’s your lucky day” Baekhyun smiled and Jongade wanted to capture it and hold onto it forever. He was getting in far too deep. First date, keep it cool, he reminded himself.

“I also gathered a list of questions to ask on a first date, and a supplumental list of topics in case we don’t end up clicking and the conversation gets boring.” Baekhyun said, pulling small notecards out of his pocket. Jongdae reached for them but he held them away, “No spoilers!! I have put a lot of thought into this date the least you can do is play by the rules”

“What if I don’t like the rules?” Jongdae asked, continuing to reach for the cards, Baekhyun was holding them above his head and Jongdae was pulling his arm down. Jongdae was grateful they were the exact same height.

“Ya! Jongdae! You can’t just take all my plans! Then nothing will be a surprise!! Romance is half surprise!”

“Who is your best friend, what do you like about him/her” Jongdae read off one of the cards, “this is supposed to be romantic?”

“Some of those were...not as good..” Baekhyun snatched the cards back and shoved them into his back pocket, “but if you had let me orchestrate it we wouldn’t have even gotten to those ones-”

“Then why did you print them out?”

“Hey! Who is organizing this date? Who planned this date? You get the next one” Baekhyun said defensively.

“Aren’t you getting ahead of yourself? Assuming we will have a second date? We haven’t even found out who our best friends are.”

“Call me optimistic.” Baekhyun said cutely. Jongdae rolled his eyes. “We’re here” Baekhyun said, nodding at the coffee shop in front of them. It was bigger than Minseok's with lots of large chairs and comfy looking sofas.

“Do you wanna go find seats in the back? I’ll get the coffee” Baekhyun said,  gesturing to some open seats in a corner.

There was a huge christmas tree next to one of the seats and Jongdae sat across from it, he curled his legs under him and sat, letting himself warm up. It wasn’t long before Baekhyun came with two steaming mugs. At this point he knew what Jongdae liked more than Jongdae and never failed to disappoint. He almost spilled trying to set the mugs down on the little table and Jongdae caught them and guided them down.

Baekhyun pulled the cards out of his pocket and sat down next to the tree. They didn’t say anything for a couple seconds, still getting over the slight awkwardness of friends to dating but Baekhyun was never able to stay quiet for long and soon he was shuffling through his deck of questions.

“Okay so let's pretend like we don’t know each other, first date, we met online.”

“Why?”

“It’ll be better. Our whole relationship has been so, wild, let's just start over. Just for now.” Baekhyun said, flipping through the deck with focus.

“Alright.” Jongdae said, “So, Baekhyun was it? You look different than your picture.” Baekhyun stopped shuffling and glanced up, plastering on his ‘cute’ smile.

“I look cuter in real life don’t I?” He said, Jongdae rolled his eyes,

“Sure.”

“So Jongdae, if you won the lottery tomorrow what is the first thing you would buy?” Baekhyun read off the card and then looked up expectantly, like an interviewer.

“The first thing? I’d take Jongsu, my nephew, to an amusement park or something fun” Jongdae said, “What about you?”

“You know that's so weird, I would also take your nephew, Jongsu, to an amusement park or something fun”

“You’re lying” Jongdae said, taking a sip of coffee. Baekhyun shrugged noncommittally and Jongdae wasn’ sure if he was lying or not, “what’s the next question.” Baekhyun shuffled through a few,

“If you could have any superpower what would it be?” Baekhyun looked up,

“You answer first” Jongdae said

“Okay okay if I could have any superpower,” He looked around the room, “I’d like to be able to control light. Make light, mostly.” Jongdae remembered quickly that Baekhyun was scared of the dark, “Your turn and don’t say something stupid like teleportation or telepathy.”

“Those were my top two!”

“Really? Sorry I don’t think this date is going well at all-” Baekhyun stood up but Jongdae reached over and grabbed his arm, laughing,

“Sit down I was kidding” Baekhyun nodded and slowly returned to his seat. Jongdae let go of his arm and grabbed his cup of coffee again. “I’ve always wanted to be able to control lighting, ever since I was little. We were spending a summer at my aunt's beach house and there was a lightning storm and I remember thinking about how cool it was and how cool it would be to be able to create something so beautiful” Jongdae trailed off, realizing he was rambling. He glanced up and Baekhyun was staring at him and smiling. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“No reason.” Baekhyun looked down and blushed, “I just think this date is going very well.”

“Is this a date or a performance review?” Jongdae laughed,

“I’ll let you know at the end.”

“Okay can I ask a question now?” Jongdae said, reaching over and grabbing the cards and sifting through a few, “What was your favorite subject in school.”

“History”

“Really?” Jongdae was surprised for some reason, “me too!”

“Well Kim Jongdae, I guess we were made for each other.”

“Do you believe in ghosts?” Baekhyun asked.

“No” Jongdae said solidly, “I never have”

“That sounds fake-”

“It’s true! I’ve never believed in ghosts or spirit or anything” He finished his coffee.

“Well, I believe in ghosts so you are going to have to put up with that.”

“I’m sure I’ll have a lot more to put up with” Jongdae said. Baekhyun pretended to look offended.

“Well Jongdae, if that’s how you feel-” Jongdae’s phone began to ring,

“It migh’t be Jongsu-” He said, answering, “hello?”

There was a heavy sigh on the other side, “Hey Jongdae, It’s Dr. Kim Junmyeon from the hospital, you probably want to get down here.”