Chapter 38

When I Needed You Most

Summary:

This is from Jongsu's POV 
also sorry idk how nine year olds interact

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Jongsu didn’t have a lot of friends at school but he was okay with that. He had his uncle, and Baekhyun Hyung and the coffee shop Hyungs that lived with Baekhyun, he didn’t mind that most of them weren’t his age.

Most days he ate lunch with the rest of his classmates, the lunch teachers eyes like hawks over them making sure nothing weird was happening. Ever since his grandma died though he’s been eating alone. He wasn’t sure why he just didn’t want to have to talk to his classmates.

“Hey Jongsu!” One of the girls in his class, Soojung, came and sat across from him, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah” He said, ignoring her.

“OOooooooOOohhhh Soojung and Jongsu are sitting together!!” Mark and his friend Jackson came and sat on either side of Soojung.

“And now you’re sitting with us.” Soojung said, “I don’t see your point”

“You guys don’t like each other?” Jackson asked, winking and nudging Soojung. She just rolled her eyes and blew a tuft of hair off her forehead. Jongsu ignored them.

“Ignore them Jongsu” Soojung said, “They are just insecure because I didn’t sit with them.” 
“Jongsu can’t have a girlfriend” Mark said, smirking, “he’s too busy being sad”

“Ya! You would be sad too!” Soojung said in a harsh whisper, Jongsu had already heard. He felt his face turn hot.

“Yeah dude” Jackson backed down behind Soojung

“Yeah but I’m not sad because I have a mommy and a daddy. Jongsu doesn't have anyone” Mark said. Jongsu exploded. He wasn’t even sure what was happening, he knew what his body was doing but he had no control over it. He grabbed his tray and hurled it at Mark, getting most of his food on Soojung but he didnt care. He stood up and launched his body over the table and felt himself punching Mark as hard as he could. He felt arms holding him back but he kept flailing. Mark fought back, punching Jongsu in the jaw, he felt himself bite his lip and he tasted blood.

In a few seconds there were adults on either side of the table, Teacher Kim Jonghyun was holding Jongsu back tightly, restraining his arms. He felt hot tears streaming down his face.

“You can’t even fight without crying, whiny loser baby!” Mark chided from the arms of one of the lunch ladies who was restraining him. Jongsu fought again, trying to break free from Teacher Kim but he was unable to.

“Mark Stop talking right now. Come on, All of you are coming with me” Teacher Kim let go of Jongsu cautiously, Jongsu didn’t move. He didn’t want to. He knew he was in trouble,

“Please dont tell my uncle!” He felt more tears, he wiped them away bitterly but it was too late, he knew everyone was wathing he knew everyone saw him crying. He tried to run away but teacher Kim held him back.

“Jongsu come on. You two Jackson and Soojung”

“I didn’t do anything!” Jackson protested

“Just come on” Soojung said, kicking him to make him move.

 

“Are you going to tell my uncle?” Jongsu asked as soon as they were in Teacher Kim’s classroom.

“Sit down.” Teacher Kim said, gesturing to the four desks in the front row. “Soojung and Jackson between Jongsu and Mark please.” They sat. Teacher Kim stared at all of them with sharp eyes, “Who wants to tell me what happened.” Mark raised his hand.

“We were just joking around and suddenly Jongsu attacked me! For no reason! Look at my face teacher”

“That’s not what happened!” Jongsu protested, he was crying. Mark looked at him and smirked, he could tell he was going to tease Jongsu the second he got out of that classroom. Jongsu wanted to throw up, “Teacher I promise it wont happen again I’m sorry please don’t tell my uncle.” Teacher Kim looked at him finally.

“Soojung, Jackson, Mark, go wait outside my classroom. If you leave you will all be in more toruble than you’ve ever been in before.” Teacher Kim said, the three obeyed silently. Jongsu kept crying, he knew he was going to get a lecture, he knew that his uncle would find out. His lip hurt but more than that his chest ached. If his dad was here this wouldn’t have happened. The door closed and there was a long moment of silence.

“Jongsu. Are you okay?” Teacher Kim asked. His tone of voice was kind. He knelt down next to the desk. “Your lip is bleeding.”

“I’m okay” Jongsu said, trying to slow down his sobs that only seemed to come faster.

“It’s okay bud breathe okay? Deep breaths. Deep breaths.”

“I’m sorry, teacher, I don’t know what happened I didn’t mean to punch him he was making fun of me because I dont have a mom or a dad and I-”

“Okay Jongsu it’s okay.” Teacher Kim reached up and gently pat Jongsu’s back as he cried. “I’m going to get you a tissue okay?”

Jongsu couldn’t stop crying. He began scratching his arm to try and distcract himself from his tears. Teacher Kim noticed that and his eyes softened. He grabbed Jongsu’s hand and pulled down his sleeve so he couldn’t reach his arm.

“Jongsu everything is going to be okay alright?”

“How? He was right! I don’t have a dad or a mom and my grandma just died and I have to move now and I just want my dad back” Jongsu said, tears falling. Teacher Kim put his arm around Jongsu for a few minutes while he calmed down.

Eventually Jongsu was able to stop crying, his breath eavened. Teacher Kim wiped his face with a tissue. “Are you okay now?” Teacher Kim asked gently. Jongsu nodded.

“I have to tell your uncle, and besides he would fnd out anyways because your lip is bleeding. I promise you he won’t be mad okay? And you are going to get in trouble because no matter what people say to you you can’t just beat them up okay? It’s not going to fix anything. Hitting Mark won’t bring your dad back you have to trust me on this. Next time he is teasing you just come find me or another teacher okay?” Jongsu nodded, “Okay I’m going to ask them to come in and I want you to apologize to Mark and Soojung because you got food all over her clothes.”

“Okay” Jongsu said, Teacher Kim went to the door and brought back in the other three, “Sorry I hit you Mark and sorry I got food all over you Soojung. Thank you for sticking up for me” Jongsu said sincerely. He could see Teacher Kim’s nod of approval.

“Soojung can you take Jongsu to the nurse? He needs ice for his lip and maybe she has some extra clothes for you. I’ll come find you after I talk to these two.”

“Okay!” Soojung held out her hand and Jongsu took it, the two of them walking to the nurse together.


 

Soojungs mother came first with fresh clothes.

“Soojung isn’t in any trouble at all, actually she was being a wonderful friend. You should be proud.” Teacher Kim said to her mother.

“My goodness, Is Jongsu okay?”

“He is fine. Thank you so much for coming.”

“Okay Jungggie lets go home” Soojung gave Jongsu a hug before leaving with her mom.

Jackson’s dad came next, he didn’t say much but Jackson wasn’t in trouble either so he left early.

“Where is my uncle?”

“He’s coming” Teacher Kim said. Jongsu and Mark were sitting at separate ends of the classroom waiting. Teacher Kim was sitting at his desk doing work since the school day was over.

At last the door opened and Mark’s dad and Jongsu’s uncle walked in. As soon as he saw his uncles face Jongsu felt his eyes swelling again.

“What happened?” Mark’s dad demanded, “Why is this child bullying Mark?”

“I’d not be so quick to judge whose kid is the bully sir” Jongsu’s uncle said.

“Mark made a number of mea comments about Jongsu and Jongsu retaliated. Both were at fault but it was very clear Mark was the instigator.”

“Markie are you okay?” Mark’s dad ran over and begna fussing over his son.

“Daddy look at how hard he hit me. I was just joking around.” Mark said pathetically. Jongsu rolled his eyes.

“Jongsu are you okay?” His uncle knelt next to the desk staring with concern at Jongsu.

“I’m fine.” Jongsu said, “I’m sorry” He felt his lip tremble and turned away. He didn’t want his uncle to be added to the long list of people that saw him cry.

“What are the consequences?” Jongsu’s uncle asked.

“I’ve thought hard about this and I think that Mark’s comments came from a place of misunderstanding.”

“What could he have possibly misunderstood? My son is very smart.” Marks dad said. Mark gleamed.

“Your son made a number of insensitive comments to Jongsu.” His uncle stood up, keeping a hand on Jongsu’s shoulder, “Has Mark apologized?”

“Not yet.” Teacher Kim said, “that is part of my consequences. I want Mark to write an apology letter to Jongsu, I want it to be sincere and I want to watch him write it. I would like it to be one full page front and back.”

“What!!?” Mark gasped,

“Furthermore, I would like him to write it in detention after school. He will have detention in my classroom for three days and then he can begin writing the letter. His detention will continue until the letter is complete.”

“That is ridiculous. What is that kid getting for physically assaulting my son? A gold star?”

“No, Jongsu is not off the hook but considering the circumstances Mr. Tuan don’t you think that your son is a little bit more at fault here. Jongsu was simply retaliating to mean comments and as a nine year old going through a very difficult time handling his emotions can be difficult. I will discuss Jongsu with his uncle in private but rest assured he will be taken care of.” Teacher Kim said. Jongsu felt himself well up again. His punishment was going to be so bad that Teacher Kim couldn’t even say it in front of Mark’s dad.

“Mark, you and your father may go.” Teacher Kim said.

“Unbelieveable. Come on Mark.” Mr. Tuan said, storming out of the room, glaring death into Jongsu’s uncle.

Once the door closed a heavy silence filled the room.

“Do I have detention too?” Jongsu asked quietly.

“Not quite.” Teacher Kim said, “Jongsu it’s obvious that you are regretful right? You feel sorry for hitting Mark?”

“Yes! And I will never do it again.”

“Okay that’s what I needed to hear” Teacher Kim turned to Jongsu’s uncle.

“I’m recommending therapy for Jongsu starting immediately. Grief counselling. He can start going to see the school counselor but I would recommend you find someone professionally trained in childhood grief.”

“Therapy” Jongsu’s uncle repeated,

“Yes. I’ve been keeping an eye on Jongsu and I think it would help him. He has a lot of emotions and feelings that he doesn’t know how to deal with them, which is natural because he is still young. Therapy will help him deal with his emotions in a healthy controlled environment and also prevent anything like this from happening again.” Teacher Kim’s voice was steady and Jongsu’s uncle was staring with concern at Jongsu, “This doesn’t mean you aren’t doing a good job Jongdae- the opposite. Getting Jongsu someone he can talk to that isn’t you or someone close to you will help him be able to deal with things. “

“Okay” Jongsu’s uncle said, “Um, do you know where I can find someone?”

“I’ll look into it for you or you can talk to the school counselor. “ Teacher Kim said.

“Wait what is my punishment?” Jongsu asked again, he didn’t quite understand most of the words that the adults were saying.

“It’s not really a punishment as much as a promise okay? I need you to promise me three things.” Teacher Kim said, pulling out a piece of paper and writing them as he said them.

“One, I want you to promise that if anyone is ever saying mean things like that to you that you will tell me or another teacher right away instead of hurting them. Two, your uncle and I are going to find you a friend to talk to about anything you are upset or sad or mad about but you have to promise you will talk to them, and three, if you ever are sad or mad or upset about anything even if no one is being mean to you, you have to promise to come talk to me or another teacher about it okay? Can you do those for me?”

“Yes” Jongsu said, Teacher Kim handed him the piece of paper.

“Okay you promised. This paper proves it okay?”

“Thank you Jonghyun” Jongsu’s uncle said.

“It’s my job Jongdae. Jongsu is a great kid, I want to see him succeed.”

“Can we go home now?” Jongsu asked. Teacher Kim nodded,

“Yep. Come on, Baekhyun hyung is outside in the car. We are going to his house first is that okay?”

“Yeah! I want to see his dogs!” Jongsu smiled and stood up, he turned to Teacher Kim. “Thank you teacher Kim.” He said.

“Anytime buddy.” Teacher Kim said, smiling, “Jongdae I’ll be in touch okay? Also I heard you’re moving?”

“Yeah we uh, can’t afford the house we are in and it’s too big and full of bad memories. I don’t know where we are moving yet.”

“Okay well let me know if you need help.”

“I will, thank you again.” Jongsu’s uncle grabbed Jongsu’s backpack and they walked in silence out to the car.

“Welcome back boys” Baekhyun hyung said, starting up the car as Jongsu and his uncle got in. Jongsu saw his uncle smile at Baekhyun hyung. “Is everything okay?” Baekhyun hyung looked back at Jongsu.

“Yeah, we can talk about it later.” Jongsu’s uncle said, “let's just get out of here.”

“As you wish” Baekhyun hyung said, “You guys are in luck, it’s Luhan’s night to cook so we are probably getting pizza.”

Notes:

i didnt edit this at all i wrote it in 39 min i wanna die 
also i was gonna aim to wrap this story up in 40 chapters but im already at 38 and i have at least 5 more chapters so prob 45 chapters will b it anyway!!! thanks for stickign around