Chapter 26

When I Needed You Most

Jongdae was glad that Jonghyun lived closeby because after a quick phone call he was in Jongdae’s living room putting on a movie for Jongsu.

“Thank you so much, I owe you big time.” Jongdae said, putting some flashlights and candles and snacks into a backpack. He grabbed an umbrella and his rainboots but figured the umbrella wouldn’t be much use.

“Anytime” Jonghyun had already settled into the sofa with Jongsu, “have fun!” Jonghyun winked at Jongdae and Jongdae rolled his eyes before leaving.

When he got onto the street he realized that there was no way he was going to be able to get a bus to Baekhyun’s house and all the taxi drivers were going to be hiking up the prices, however this was an emergency so he hailed a cab and in ten minutes was in front of Baekhyun’s house.

He opened the door without knocking and a flashlight, lighting his way to Minseok’s room. He was soaked and hadn’t even bothered taking off his jacket. The light almost missed Baekhyun because he had curled up so tiny, at the foot of the bed like a cat or something. When Jongdae shined the light on him Baekhyun sat up quickly but when he saw it was Jongdae relief flooded his face.

“Jongdae Ah you came.” he said weakly. Jongdae fought the urge to go to him, to kiss his head and hold him and tell him he was going to be okay.

“Of course I came you . Let’s go to the living room okay? I’ll start a fire.” Jongdae reached out and Baekhyun took his hand, allowing himself to be led through his own house. Jongdae set Baekhyun up in a pile of blankets on the floor and was quickly able to start a fire.

“Whoa Jongdae you’re so good at that” Baekhyun said slowly. Jongdae chuckled,

“I was a boy scout” He said with a hint of embarrassment. Baekhyun didn’t make fun of him at all which was a surprise. Baekhyun scooted closer to the fire, and Jongdae, and Jongdae suddenly became very aware of the elephant in the room.

Baekhyun reached over tentatively and touched Jongdae’s knee, Jongdae glanced at his hand, red in the light of the fire, to his face, glowing, beautiful. He was bleary eyed and pouty and his hair was a mess but Jongdae could slowly feel himself falling in love. He reached up slowly and ran his hand through Baekhyun’s hair, smoothing it down but also relishing the touch. Baekhyun didn’t break eye contact.

“Jongdae-” Baekhyun suddenly looked guilty, “last night I-” he trailed off. Jongdae wasn’t sure what point Baekhyun was making but he wasn’t really listening. He let his hand fall to rest on Baekhyun's shoulder, then cupped the side of his face. It was warm from the fire. Jongdae turned so they were sitting face to face, Baekhyun hugging his knees to his chest, Jongdae moved forward so he was next to Baekhyun’s knees, looking at him seriously.

“What about last night?” He asked, his voice barely above a whisper. Baekhyun stared at Jongdae and said nothing. Jongdae cupped Baekhyun’s face with his hand and brought it closer to his until they were kissing again, slow and lazy. Their faces were hot from the fire but the rest of their bodies were cold from the storm. Baekhyun stopped hugging his knee with one of his hands and tangled it Jongdae's sweater, holding him where he was. Baekhyun pulled away though, just barely.

“Wait” he said, something akin to confusion on his face. Jongdae wondered if he had misjudged the situation, if he had acted wrong. He backed away, feeling his cheeks burn.

“Is...sorry” was all he could come up with to say. Baekhyun wasn’t looking at Jongdae’s face but was picking at a loose string on Jongdae’s jeans.

“No, I’m..I’m sorry” Baekhyun said, Jongdae felt his heart fall, Baekhyun didn’t want to be more than friends, he had made a mistake in kissing Jongdae and now he wasn’t sure how to tell Jongdae.

“Oh.” Jongdae said, disappointment must have shown on his face as he leaned farther away.

“No no! I didn’t-” Baekhyun ran a hand through his hair, “I- I was an this morning and today, leaving without saying anything, not talking to you, I just wanted to apologize for that.”

“It’s no big deal” Jongdae said, picking at the carpet. He had noticed he and Baekhyun both had a habit of picking at things when they were nervous.

“It is I’m not usually like this I just,” Baekhyun buried his face in his hands, and then stared at the fire. They were really obviosuly looking at anything other than each other, “I just, really like you-” Jongdae’s mind went blank, “and I guess that was a ty way of showing it but I was scaared you were- I was scared you didn’t like me, you know like that, and you’ve been stressed and stuff and I didn’t want you to like, think I was gonna get weird or something just because I kissed you and I -”

“Baekhyun stop” Jongdae said, he needed a second to think, Baekhyun obediently shut up. Baekhyun liked him, Baekhyun was worried he didnt like him, Baekhyun was an idiot. Once Jongdae had sorted that out he looked up and saw Baekhyun had buried his face in his hands again. Jongdae scooted forward slowly and reached out to gently touch Baekhyun’s arm. Baekhyun looked up and Jongdae wanted to die. His face in the firelight, red from embarrassment and probably the heat and stress, his hands were so pale and small, his hair muffled, his sweater was huge and slipping off his shoulders. Jongdae wasn’t sure how Baekhyun could possibly think he didn’t like him.

“If you don’t want- I won’t make things weird or anything, I just, thought you should know.”

“You are the biggest I have ever met” Jongdae said, Baekhyun didn’t say anything, “how could you think I don’t like you?”

“Wait you...you like me?” Baekhyun stared intently at Jongdae, Jongdae didn’t say anything he just smiled and nodded, “Really?” Baekhyun smiled widely and looked unsure of what to do with himself. Jongdae leaned forward and they kissed again, smiling into each others mouths.

Even though there was still a storm going on, and the house was still freezing and the lights were all out, Jongdae felt more warm than he had in a long time. They stopped kissing but remained close, foreheads pressed together, hands intertwined. Baekhyun reached forward and wrapped his arms around Jongdae, burying his face in Jongdae’s neck in a warm embrace. Jongdae moved back so his back was against the sofa and Baekhyun crawled into his arms.

Eventually the fire died down, the power came on, Luhan and Minseok returned, but Jongdae and Baekhyun remained curled into each other until they woke up the next morning, stiff, but content.

 

A/N: 

ahhhhh this and is rly cheesy sorryyyyyyyy

as always: ur comments keep me going so thank u for reading/cmmenting/subscribing! I never thot so many ppl wld like this story lmao