Chapter 23

When I Needed You Most

“Hello?” Taeyeon answered, which surprised him.

“Hey um, it’s me.”

“I know who it is. What do you want.”

“Listen I know this is bad to do over the phone but I just want to say you’re right and I was being a child and I’m really sorry. I do think we should break up but I still want us to be friends.” Baekhyun found himself in Jongdae’s room. He sat on the bed. Taeyeon was quiet for a long time, “You were right, about everything, I was terrible and I’m so sorry.” 

“Baekhyun it- listen it’s not all your fault, yeah you were an but I did say we would go slow, and I...listen I’m sorry okay let’s just leave it as we were both s and we are both sorry.”

“Is there a chance we can be friends?”

“I don’t know. Give it time okay?” Taeyeon said softly. Her voice was kinder than he had expected, “I have to go though okay? Baekhyun- I... I really care about you okay? Take care of yourself.”

“You too Taeyeon,” Baekhyun smiled. Taeyeon hung up before he could say anything else.

He went to the front room and saw Jongsu was watching TV and playing with a train set. “Hey buddy, what are you watching?” Baekhyun sat down on the sofa, and then laid down on the sofa, and he didn’t realize how tired he was until his eyes started closing as he fell asleep.

 

Baekhyun woke up some time later feeling hot and disoriented. He realized the former was due to the fact that he was still wearing his jacket and someone had put a blanket on top of him, the latter was due to the fact that he had fallen asleep on Jongdae’s sofa and he wasn’t quite sure what time it was or what was going on.

He heard soft noises from the kitchen and considered falling back asleep but realized the noises must mean Jongdae is home. He stood up and stretched out his stiff joints, taking off his sweater and leaving it on the sofa. He ran a hand through his hair and quietly walked to the kitchen.

Jongdae and Jongsu were there, they didn’t notice Baekhyun at first because they were so engrossed with something on the stove. Jongsu was standing on a chair and stirring something with a large spoon and Jongdae was behind him keeping watch.

Baekhyun leaned against the doorway and watched them for awhile, feeling content at the sight of them cooking.

“Okay now add the veggies we cut up” Jongdae was whispering. He was wearing different clothes and his hair was wet, Baekhyun realized he must have gotten home awhile ago and had time to shower and start cooking.

Jongsu added a plate of various veggies to the pot on the stove and stirred a little, Jongdae put a lid on the pot and then turned down the heat, “now we are gonna let that cook for a bit, why don’t you go wash your hands?” Jongdae helped Jongsu off the chair just in time for them to notice Baekhyun in the doorway.

“Hyung! We are making soup!” Jongsu said proudly, holding up the spoon.

“I can see that. It smells amazing.” Baekhyun smiled and ruffled Jongsu’s hair as he walked by to go wash  his hands. Jongdae stared intently at Baekhyun for awhile, neither of them doing anything. Something had changed between them but Baekhyun wasn’t sure what.

“You seem tired,” Jongdae said finally.

“Yeah I uh, didn’t really sleep last night,” Baekhyun said he took a step forward. Jongdae nodded,

“Are you okay?” He asked gently, not moving. Baekhyun continued stepping forward until they were close enough for Jongdae to reach up and run his hand through Baekhyun’s hair, smoothing down a part that must have been sticking up.

“I- I don’t know,” Baekhyun said honestly, he knew he was being dramatic but so much had happened that he hadn’t had time to process, he suddenly felt like someone was squeezing his heart, he was worried he was going to cry. Jongdae left his hand in Baekhyun’s hair but settled more towards the nape of his neck, massaging gently.

Baekhyun moved forward and almost fell into Jongdae, burying his face in Jongdae’s neck and wrapping his arms around him. Jongdae reciprocated, bringing his other arm around Baekhyun’s waist and using the one in his hair to hold him close.

Baekhyun didn’t want to admit it, he didn’t want Jongdae to know, but he started to cry. Jongdae didn’t say anything he just held him close, rubbing his back and his head. “Hey, it’s okay,” Jongdae said finally, whispering in Baekhyuns ear. Baekhyun nodded but couldn’t speak for fear that he would cry harder, “You’re okay.” Jongdae said again, it was the cliche thing to say to someone who was crying but Baekhyun felt it in his heart, he felt safe and warm in Jongdae’s arms, he never wanted to let go. 

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun said, but it got lost in Jongdae’s shirt which smelt like safety but was now wet with tears.

“What?”

“I’m...” Baekhyun pulled away, quickly bringing his hands to his face and wiping it so Jongdae wouldn’t see what an ugly crier he was, “sorry.”

“For what?” Jongdae grabbed Baekhyuns hand and lowered it, using his own to wipe Baekhyun’s tears.

“Nothing, I just...this is so stupid and petty” Baekhyun tried to laugh.

“Are you...embarrassed?” Jongdae furrowed his brows, “are you apologizing for crying?”

“No, I mean, sort of.” Baekhyun looked down at their feet.

“Baekhyun that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard,” Jongdae said. Baekhyun didn’t know how to respond to that. “You don’t have to apologize or be embarrassed for crying Jesus christ. You’re only human, and you’re my b-you’re one of my closest friends, you don’t have to be embarrassed about anything.” Jongdae said, pulling Baekhyun into another hug. “Are you okay, though?”

“I mean, we’ll see.” Baekhyun laughed but it was forced and harsh and not really a laugh at all, Jongdae kissed the top of his head and Baekhyun almost started crying again.

“Uncle I think the soup is ready,” Jongsu said, sitting at the table with a spoon and bowl. Jongdae smiled, not letting Baekhyun pull away.

“You know what Jongsu? I think you’re right,” he said, he led Baekhyun to the table and made him sit down before bringing over the pot and pouring everyone huge bowls of steaming soup.

“Seaweed soup? Is it my birthday?” Baekhyun asked, his voice still hoarse from crying. Jongdae blushed a little,

“It’s the only soup I know how to make.” He said quietly. Baekhyun laughed and tried it,

“It’s the best soup I’ve ever had.” And Baekhyun had never been more sincere.

 

A/N: sorry no playlist w this chapter im an and accidentally wrote this 2.3 seconds after i uploaded the last one and I just needed to get this out there lmao. ​