Chapter 16

When I Needed You Most

Minseok and Luhan showed up still in their coffee shop clothes.

“Baekhyun are you going to tell me why your mother called and asked why you left without saying goodbye?” Luhan demanded as soon as they were in the door. Jongdae gave him a dirty look.

“He has a concussion,” Junmyeon said,

“Is he okay?” Minseok asked, pushing Luhan out of the way to sit next to Baekhyun.

“I’m fine Min, mom, minmom…” Baekhyun laughed.

“He’ll be fine but he should go to the hospital. I can’t do tests to make sure nothing is damaged and he needs first aid on his hand and arm.”

“My hand is fine,” Baekhyun said, waving it around in demonstration. Junmyeon reached over and grabbed his other hand, the fingers were not pointing the right direction and covered in blood.

“What the did you do?”

“He fell out of a tree. It had something to do with his ex.” Jongdae supplied. Minseok sighed loudly, Luhan was trying not to laugh.

“Wait, so you were at your mom's and she invited Chanyeol obviously because she doesn’t know about the breakup so you were trying to run from ol’ Channie and ended up falling out of a tree and getting a concussion?”

“And then Chanyeol brought him here so, in the end, he didn’t escape him at all” Jongdae finished.

“Okay, guys okay guys…okay guys” Baekhyun said, “No need to tell everyone here all my business.”

“Can I just put him in the backseat of my car?” Luhan asked Junmyeon, “Or the trunk?”

“The backseat would be better, he needs to stay awake and unless you want to put another person in the trunk with him the backseat would be the best place for that.”

“Alright. Can he walk?”

“Maybe. He might vomit again.”

“Again. Great” Luhan sighed, “You are taking over four of my coffee shop shifts for this Baekhyun”

“No, he is not,” Minseok said, getting Baekhyun’s coat.

“Fine, but if he vomits in my car he is cleaning it up.”

“Fair enough,” Baekhyun said from where Junmyeon and Jongdae were helping him stand up.

“I’ll sit in the back with him,” Jongdae said.

“Okay, I’m gonna go finish what I was actually supposed to be doing,” Junmyeon said, passing his half of Baekhyun off to Minseok and returning to Jongdae’s mom in the back of the house. They helped him into the car and Luhan drove as gently as possible. He tried to look annoyed but it was obvious he was worried.

Baekhyun laid down in the back with his head in Jongdae’s lap. Jongdae would poke his face every time he looked like he was going to fall asleep until Baekhyun got fed up and grabbed his hand, holding it so he couldn’t poke him anymore.

Jongdae found other ways to annoy Baekhyun into consciousness, though, jostling his legs, moving his arms, eventually Baekhyun sat up with a huff and leaned against the window, freeing Jongdae’s legs to put in Baekhyun’s lap.

“You are so annoying” Baekhyun groaned. Jongdae couldn’t help but giggle at his annoyance. Luhan was watching with skeptical eyes through the rear view mirror.

Once they showed up at the hospital a flood of doctors with a wheelchair took Baekhyun and pushed him behind two swinging double doors. “You’ll be able to see him in a moment, are any of you a guardian or a sibling?” one of the nurses said, looking at the three men expectantly.

“I’m his emergency contact,” Minseok said. 

The doctor nodded, “okay come with me then.” She turned briskly and Minseok followed with the promise to keep Jongdae and Luhan updated.

About three hours later Baekhyun was wheeled out with a white bandage on his head and a cast on his hand. Minseok had a brown paper bag in his hand. Luhan and Jongdae rushed forward. “He’s fine,” The doctor said, patting Baekhyun’s shoulder, “He just needs to sleep. He has a minor concussion so for the next few days he might be a little, weird. Also, he won’t be able to use his right hand for a while.”

“I guess I’ll finally get to hire you a e,” Luhan said. Baekhyun flipped him off with his left hand, “Unless you can use your left hand?”

“It’s called being ambidextrous and I am a pianist so I can use my left just as good as my right.”

“Good! If you can you can make coffee” Minseok said.

“Alright well just rest a lot drink a lot of water and take it easy, also, I would like to thank you for giving me a really good story to tell to the other guys at poker night. Falling out of a tree in your mom’s front yard while running from your ex has to be one of the greatest injuries I’ve ever treated.”

“Glad I can entertain you, next time you will have to treat a roommate who doesn’t keep his mouth shut and gets his kicked.” Baekhyun glared at Minseok.

“He asked what happened and you weren’t telling him. Also, the doctor said to take it easy so you’ll have to wait a bit to kick my .” Minseok bent down to kiss Baekhyun’s forehead, Baekhyun made a gross face and tried to swat him away.

“Can we go please?”

“Yeah come on let’s get you home.” Minseok said, “Thank you so much doctor.”

“Good luck!” The doctor turned and was gone in a second. Jongdae pushed Baekhyun out of the hospital to the car, where Baekhyun insisted he could get in by himself and almost fell.

“I can sleep now so leave me alone please,” He said, curling into Jongdae’s lap as soon as they were in the car. Baekhyun was asleep before they were even out of the parking lot.

** *** *** ********** ****

Baekhyun woke up sometime during the night, he was in his bed but he wasn’t quite sure how he got there. He reached for his phone and checked his texts without looking at the time.

Jongdae: sleep tight Byunnie. Jongsu sends his love.

Mom: Call me.

Taeyeon: Is it okay if I stop by tomorrow night?

He ignored the texts from his mom and Taeyeon and something compelled him to call Jongdae. The phone rang for a while and Baekhyun was worried Jongdae wasn’t going to pick up, but then there was a click and a moan and a groggy voice. “Hello?”

“Hey, Jongdae…did I wake you up?” Baekhyun rolled over so he could put the phone on his pillow and not have to hold it.

“Baekhyun it’s like, three in the morning. Yeah, you woke me up. Are you okay?”

“I’m hungry”

“You’re…hungry?”

“Yeah.”

“Then eat? I’m sure your house has ramen or something, why did you have to call me for that?”

“I miss you” Baekhyun wasn’t sure why he said that but after he did he realized it was true. There was a pause on the other line, and then Jongdae sighed.

“Baekhyun you have a concussion. Why don’t you get a snack and go back to bed? We can talk in the morning okay?”

“I’m gonna go for a walk.” Baekhyun decided, looking out his window. There was a fresh layer of snow covering the ground.

“What? No, don’t do that it’s three am Baek go back to sleep.”

“Do you want to go on a walk with me?”

“Oh my god”

“Please?” Baekhyun tried to sound as pitiful as possible. Judging by Jongdae’s response he had succeeded.

“I hate you.”

“That’s not a no”

“I’ll meet you at the convenience store?” There was rustling, Jongdae was probably getting up to get dressed. Baekhyun rolled out of bed, still unaccustomed to the cast on his hand.

“I have to hang up so I can get dressed.” He pouted. Jongdae laughed,

“Okay, I’ll see you soon.”

Baekhyun struggled into some pants and a sweatshirt, using a beanie to cover the bandage on his head. As quietly as possible he snuck into Minseok’s room, Luhan’s keys were in his pant pocket and his pants were on the floor. In order to be quiet, Baekhyun just grabbed the pants with the keys and left, quietly closing the door behind him.

He put Luhan’s pants on the passenger seat and waited for the car to warm up before pulling out and heading to the convenience store.

 

A/N **** 

tfw ur writing and u realize ur super gay for taeyeon .... . . anyway sorry back to baekchen. 
also sorry this is so short!! I have finals and am moving this week so like things have been crazy lol. I'll be able to update more regularly after next week when I don't have class anymore.
Anway thanks for reading and commenting :) If u like baekchen pls check out my star wars au too!!!!!