Chapter 33

When I Needed You Most

ongdae was nervous to meet Jongsu’s grandma, more nervous than he had been to go out on his date with Baekhyun- which was saying something. He made sure Jongsu looked nice, a button up shirt and a nice jacket, he brushed down the child's hair which tended to have a mind of its own.

“Who are we meeting?” Jongsu asked, sitting on the counter while Jongdae brushed his own hair.

“Your other grandma and uncle” He said,

“I don’t have another uncle silly” Jongsu said laughing. Jongdae smiled,

“You do, his name is Sehun. He’s still in high school though. They are very excited to meet you.”

“I don’t want another uncle. I Just want you” Jongsu said, Jongdae lifted Jongsu off the counter and set him down.

“Well you have two uncles. Sehun is going to be fun probably, high schoolers are fun to play with. We’re late so go tie your shoes okay?”

“Okay! But you are still my favorite uncle” Jongsu said, hugging Jongdae’s legs before running to put on his shoes.

 

They met at a family style restaurant. Jongdae and Jongsu arriving shortly after Taeyeon.

“You dressed up” She noted dryly. “Too bad this isn’t a date”

“Too bad” Jongdae said, “is it too much? I want to make a good impression.”

“Relax Jonggie-” Taeyeon pet Jongdae’s cheek, “this isn’t a job interview.” Before Jongdae could respond Mrs. Oh arrived, followed by Sehun.

“Jongdae! Jongsu! Taeyeon!” Mrs. Oh said each of their names loudly while she hugged them, paying special attention to Jongsu who reached up and held Jongdae’s hand for support. “It’s so good to finally meet you” She said to Jongdae, “and look at how much you’ve grown, the last time I saw you you were a brand new baby” she said, kneeling down to talk to Jongsu.

“Mrs. Oh, It’s so nice to meet you.” Jongdae said, trying to draw the attention away from Jongsu who looked mildly uncomfortable.

“We should finish our greetings inside where it isn’t freezing.” Taeyeon suggested, grabbing Jongsu’s other hand and leading everyone inside. It didn’t take long after they had been seated for Mrs. Oh. to begin talking again.

“Taeyeon tells me you are doing a wonderful job of taking care of Jongsu” She said, smiling warmly at Jongdae. He smiled,

“Thank you, I’m trying very hard.” He said, smiling at Jongsu who had become occupied by drawing on the paper table cloth with a pen Taeyeon found in her purse. “He’s an easy kid.”

“It’s not easy, raising a kid, especially when you are young and especially on your own. I am very impressed. Taeyeon says you are a teacher, what do you teach?”

“I’m not a real teacher yet, however I’m looking into getting the certifications. I just teach choir now at the elementary school Jongsu attends.”

“Choir how interesting! Sehun is very into dance. He wants to join the dance team when he gets settled in the new school.” She said proudly. Sehun looked nonplussed.

“That’s great! I have some friends who have a dance studio not too far from here.” Jongdae said. Sehun glanced up but showed no other reaction.

Dinner progressed normally, Jongdae talked about his work, trying to look as financially and emotionally stable as possible. Mrs. Oh asked for recommendations for restaurants or places to visit in town. Sehun stayed quiet, but eventually joined Jongsu in drawing on the table.

They had made it all the way to dessert without any issues. Mrs. Oh was lovely and Jongdae could tell she genuinely just wanted to help out and didn’t have any intentions of trying to get Jongsu taken away from him.

“This coffee is lovely” Mrs. Oh said, referring to the coffee she had ordered for dessert. “Jongdae are you a coffee drinker?”

“Not really, I tend to stick more with tea.” Jongdae said, it was getting late and he could tell Jongsu was getting tired.

“Oh it’s a pity, actually I’m sure they had tea didn’t they dear?” She turned to Taeyeon

“Um what?”

“The cute coffee shop we met at today. They had the best coffee I’ve ever had and the manager seemed so sweet.” Taeyeon choked on the sip of water she had been taking,

“Oh yeah, um, the best.” she said, looking significantly at Jongdae.

“And you knew one of the baristas right? How do you know him? He seemed so sweet.” Mrs. Oh continued. Jongdae was only half paying attention because Jongsu was trying to stand up to go to the bathroom but had gotten tangled in the tablecloth.

“Um actually we uh, we went out very briefly.” Taeyeon said, Jongdae’s head snapped up as he realized what coffee shop they were talking about.

“Are you-”

“Oh! I could see something between you two. What happened?”

“Um, you know, we just, weren’t right for each other” Taeyeon said.

“Oh what a pity. He was very handsome. Jongdae have you ever been to that coffee shop? Where was it dear?”

“He has.” Taeyeon said, looking at her coffee. Sehun was staring between Jongdae and Taeyeon with hawk like eyes, it was the most engaged Jongdae had seen him all night.

“Oh lovely! We should all go get coffee there. I plan to frequent it. The coffee was amazing and the manager was so sweet, what was his name dear?”

“Minseok” Jongdae said, Mrs. Oh smiled,

“Do you know him?”

“Yeah he um, I’m friends with a lot of the people that work there” Jongdae said,

“Oh really? Than do you know the one Taeyeon went out with?” Mrs. Oh’s voice dropped as if she was gossiping. Jongdae tried not to look as uncomfortable as he felt.

“Yeah, uh, we are friends. He’s also Jongsu’s piano teacher actually. He’s helped out a lot since the accident. Everyone at the coffee shop has.”

“That’s so sweet! I think we are going to go back there tomorrow morning before we leave town for a few more days”

“No!” Sehun said abruptly, causing everyone to stare at him, “I mean, um, you can go without me mom.”

“Oh nonsense, you loved the coffee. I think all of us should go!”

“Wow that is um, a great idea” Taeyeon said, trying to cover up for Jongdae and surprisingly Sehun’s looks of panic. “I for one would love to get coffee with you tomorrow morning Mrs. Oh. I’m sure Jongdae would as well.”

“That sounds lovely.”

“Also Mrs. Oh, “ Jongdae said, recovering from the conversation about Baekhyun, “if you need any help moving please don’t hesitate to ask. I would love to help you settle down”

“Oh thank you so much dear I’m sure we will, we can make a day of it! Bring your coffee shop friends too!”

“Oh well, um, we can ask for sure. They are all great guys” Jongdae said, trying not to mentally freak out.

“Great!! I look forward to it!” Mrs. Oh. thankfully dropped the coffee shop while they left the restaurant.

“Did you take the bus?” Taeyeon asked Jongdae, who nodded. Jongsu was holding onto his arm to stay awake. “I’ll drive you home.” Jongdae knelt down and let Jongsu climb onto his back where the child almost immediately fell asleep. When they got outside Mrs. Oh realized she had left her purse in the bathroom and ran inside to get it. Sehun turned to Jongdae with a look akin to amusement and curiosity.

“So that was weird.” He said.

“What was weird?”

“Whatever happened between you two and that barista.” Sehun said, “My mom is too dull to pick up on it but there is something ed up.”

“Watch your language in front of Jongsu” Jongdae said, which was a mute point because Jongsu was asleep anyways, “Also there's nothing weird.”

“Okay so you are telling me that there isn’t anything?”

“It’s just weird because Baekhyun and I went out and Jongdae and Baekhyun are um, close friends” Taeyeon said.

“Close friends?” Sehun raised an eyebrow and looked Jongdae up and down. Jongdae glared back at him.

“What was your issue? Why did you not want to go to there tomorrow morning? Do you have an issue with one of the baristas?”

“Quite the opposite.” Sehun said, smirking, Jongdae decided he hated Sehun’s smirk, “and judging by the way you were blushing in there I’d say you also have the opposite of a problem with one of them.”

Jongdae felt Taeyeon’s gaze as he tried to not react to Sehun.

“I’ve already told you, I’m good friends with a lot of the baristas and the owner.”

“Minseok right? So I have a question, is everyone who works at that coffee shop gay?” Jongdae and Taeyeon exchanged glances. “‘Close friends’ I know what that means Jongdae, also it’s so obvious the owner is balls deep in the other tall barista who looks like a toddler on stilts. So what were you-” he turned to Taeyeon, “a beard?”

“Why are you like this?” Jongdae asked, “also what business is it of yours anyways?”

“I’m just warning you,” Sehun turned serious, “Don’t let my mom find out you’re...close friends...with a bunch of gay men. She is not favorable towards that. Maybe you two should consider getting back together” He winked at Taeyeon as Mrs. Oh came out.

“I found it! It was in the booth” She laughed and everyone laughed uncomfortably with her. She smiled at Jongsu. “Someone's sleepy.”

“Yeah its past his bedtime.” Jongdae said, “I’d better get him home. Thank you so much for dinner Mrs. Oh, it was wonderful to meet you.”

“Of course dear!! I am so excited to be a part of your and Jongsu’s life now! It’s so nice to have a family again!” She said. Jongdae smiled.  “We are leaving town around eleven so what do you say we meet for coffee at nine thirty?”

“That sound’s great!” Jongdae said, ignoring whatever weird look Sehun was giving him. “We’ll see you then.” They waved as Mrs. Oh and Sehun left to find her car.

“What the is wrong with him?” Jongdae spat as soon as they were out of earshot.

“I thought you didn’t want people swearing in front of Jongsu.” Taeyeon said with a sly smile.

“I’m sorry.” Jongdae said as they began walking. “Also I’m, sorry. Things are probably going to be weird tomorrow”

“Why? Is it because you are in the closet again and we are going to the coffee shop that your boyfriend who is also my ex boyfriend works in with your new homophobic aunt and her weird jerk son?”

“Yeah that about sums it up. Also wait till Luhan and Minseok like kiss in front of her. Maybe she’ll stay away from the coffee shop and I can live in peace again.”

“I’m more excited to see why Sehun is being so....weird” Taeyeon unlocked her doors and Jongdae set Jongsu in the backseat as gently as possible.

“I need to warn Baekhyun. I need to talk to Baekhyun-.” Jongdae suddenly began to panic, “this is going to be weird right? I should make sure he isn’t working tomorrow morning, or maybe you two should get back together so Mrs. Oh thinks he’s straight and also I’m straight and also you’re straight which none of us are but it’s probably best to lie right? Maybe I should just break up with him anyways I mean we only went on one date and I had to cut that short-”

“Okay first of all shut up” Taeyeon said, “no one is breaking up with anyone. Second of all so what if she finds out we aren’t straight? There’s nothing wrong with it so who cares. She can’t control us”

“She can though- if she calls CPS once or tells them I am unfit to take care of...it’s all over. I can’t sacrifice him for a stupid boy I have only been dating for like two days.” Jongdae said, glancing in the back to make sure Jongsu was asleep. Taeyeon fell silent.

“Well if you need, I can be a beard for him, especially when the three of us are together. I don’t want you to lose anyone else. But I think you should talk to him about it and tell him everything that happened also have him find out why Sehun is so weird.”

“It’s probably because he’s tall” Jongdae muttered. “When will I be able to talk to him tonight anyways? Unless I make him come over but he always comes to my house. I bet Jongsu and I could spend the night at his house but I don't want to disturb them and I can’t just meet him because I can’t leave Jongsu-”

“I’ll take Jongsu tonight.” Taeyeon said, “he’s already asleep. My sofa is super big and comfy and I’ll just let him crash there. Tiffany is there right now anyways and I’m sure she won’t mind.”

“Are you sure? I Don’t want to impose. I’ve already imposed enough on the people I care about” Jongdae said, Taeyeon rolled her eyes as obviously as she could in the dark car.

“Yes I’m sure. Tell him to meet you somewhere and I’ll drop you off.”

“Thank you Taeyeon, I owe you, big time.” Jongdae said, pulling out his phone to call Baekhyun.

 

Notes:

told you id be updating more this week