Chapter 6

When I Needed You Most

The funeral came too quickly it seemed despite the fact that Jongdae had pushed it off as long as he could in hopes that his mom would wake up. Baekhyun could tell he was worried that would never happen though so he had to go through with it.

As soon as they got to the church Jongdae found Baekhyun and showed them their seats, thanking them profusely for being there. Jongdae looked tired more than sad, Baekhyun understood, after a while it was simply too tiring to be sad.

Taeyeon greeted them but she also looked very tired. She smiled at Baekhyun though and made sure they knew how much the Kim’s appreciated them being there.

Jongsu looked very small in the pew he was sitting in. He had on a suit that didn’t fit and his hair was gelled to the side. He sat by himself for the most part, fiddling with something in his lap, Baekhyun assumed it was the cat.

Baekhyun excused himself from his seat and went to the front and knelt in front of the boy. “Hey buddy. How are you feeling?” He asked gently, putting his hand on Jongsu’s knee.

“Fine” He shrugged. Baekhyun couldn’t tell if he was holding back tears or not.

“Yeah?” Jongsu just nodded. He pulled a crumpled piece of paper out of his pocket and began to fiddle with it, “What’s that?”

“I’m supposed to read it to everyone but I don’t really want to,” Jongsu said. Baekhyun nodded,

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to okay?” He said.

Suddenly some old woman was sitting next to Jongsu, hugging him tightly and crying.

“Ohhh you poor poor child. Oh, you poor thing you poor poor baby. Oh Look at you! You are so strong it’s okay sweetie you can cry if you want. Ugh, you poor poor baby” She exclaimed dramatically. Jongsu’s eyes were wide and he looked pleadingly at Baekhyun.

“Um, hello” Baekhyun coughed loudly to interrupt her wails and held out his hand. She released Jongsu and stared at the hand without taking it. “I’m Baekhyun,” He said politely.

“Auntie Auntie Hello thank you for coming.” Jongdae materialized in front of them. “I see you met Jongsu’s piano teacher.”

“Piano teacher hmm.” The woman huffed. Baekhyun smiled and tried not to say something rude. Jongsu reached out and clutched Baekhyun’s sleeve, so Baekhyun smiled reassuringly at him.

“Baekhyun this is my Aunt, Taeyeon’s mom,” Jongdae said, “She is going to stay with us for tonight so that she doesn’t have to get all the way back to Seoul tonight.”  Baekhyun wondered how such an…alarming woman could produce someone as beautiful as Taeyeon.

“Also, I want to make sure this poor poor child is in a…safe home.” She looked judgingly at Jongdae and Baekhyun suddenly felt defensive.

“Of course,” Jongdae said, the fakest smile Baekhyun had ever seen plastered on his face. “Now if you’ll find your seats the service is about to start.”

“Teacher” Jongsu whispered as Baekhyun stood up, Baekhyun knelt down next to him again, “Can you…can you sit with me.” Jongsu looked almost embarrassed.

“Of course.” Baekhyun sat next to the child and Jongdae sat on the other side, looking gratefully at Baekhyun. Baekhyun put his arm around Jongsu and on Jongdae’s shoulder reassuringly. Soon Taeyeon came and sat on the other side of Jongdae.

The service was very traditional. People Baekhyun had never met came and talked, some pastor talked about how Jongdeok was in a better place, the urn was gracefully handed to Jongdae who stood up and went to the podium.

Jongdae had a stack of papers and was obviously very uncomfortable. His speech was short and well thought out. He ended by thanking everyone for coming and told everyone about the small wake at his house following the service.

Jongsu didn’t move the whole time, he kept his eyes trained on the floor and the cat in his hands. Baekhyun occasionally pet his shoulder or his head, just so he knew he wasn’t alone. Taeyeon also kept a hand protectively on the child’s leg.

“Thank you all for coming I know Jongdeok would have appreciated all of you taking the time to come out here for him and Jongsu. Thank you.” Jongdae bowed low and left the stage as everyone stood up to leave. Jongdae remained at the front of the stage and was flocked by people offering their condolences and giving him hugs. Jongsu didn’t move so neither did Baekhyun.

Jongin, Luhan, and Minseok were some of the last people to greet Jongdae, they told him they were sorry and that they would love to come to the wake but someone had to run the coffee shop. Baekhyun said he would find some way home and they left.

Jongdae had cleaned his house for the guests, all random relatives. Baekhyun didn’t know anyone other than Taeyeon but he didn’t mind. He wasn’t here for them he was here for Jongsu and Jongdae. Sadly, Jongdae’s aunt decided that Baekhyun would be her target of interrogation and ended up cornering him in the kitchen.

“So you teach piano?”

“Yes. I am a private piano instructor.” He looked around hoping to find Taeyeon but she had disappeared.

“You don’t look like a piano instructor.” The lady said.

“Um. I’m not sure what a piano teacher is supposed to look like…”

“Do you have a degree?”

“Nope.”

“So you, an uneducated youth, manage to pay all your bills by teaching piano? You must be very good.”

Baekhyun wasn’t quite sure why this woman felt the need to be such an to him and he simultaneously wondered where the Champaign was. “That’s great Auntie, I really have to go-“

“How long have you been teaching Jongsu?”

“About two years.”

“Oh, so you fancy yourself very close to him don’t you?”

“I’m sorry ma’am but I’m really not sure what your point is.”

“I’m just worried that Jongsu isn’t going to be taken care of well in this…environment.” She looked judgementally around the kitchen, but it was a nice kitchen so Baekhyun wasn’t quite sure what point that was emphasizing.

“I’m sure Jongsu will be fine. Jongdae is a good man and will do very well raising the kid.”

“How long have you known Jongdae?”

“I’ve known Jongdae for about three weeks.” Baekhyun looked around hoping if they say his name three times he will appear, like Beetlejuice or bloody Mary.

“Well, then you are practically best friends I fancy.”

“Do you know a man named Do Kyungsoo?”

“I’m sorry?”

“Nothing I just figured you would get along. Anyway, I hate to cut this…conversation short but I have to take a massive ” Baekhyun smiled at her and walked past as she began spluttering about what a rude young man he was.

Baekhyun weaved through the grieving relatives and found Jongsu sitting alone in his room. Baekhyun joined him on the floor.

“Your aunt is…um….crazy,” He said after a while.

“Yeah I hate her,” Jongsu said bluntly. Baekhyun chuckled.

“Well, she is only staying for one night right?” Baekhyun said. “Hey, do you want to change? That suit can’t feel good.” Jongsu looked grateful and Baekhyun helped him find a new outfit. Without saying much Jongsu sat on his bed and looked like he was about to pass out. “Hey, you should take a nap okay? You don’t have to be here for this party and you look tired.”

Jongsu yawned and nodded gratefully, scooting down on the bed. Baekhyun pulled the blankets over him and rubbed his forehead, still kind of sticky from the hair gel. Jongsu was soon asleep, but Baekhyun didn’t leave. He sat at the foot of Jongsu’s bed and picked up one of the small chapter books off the shelf.

After a while, the door slowly opened and Jongdae poked his head in. He looked like he was on deaths doorstep. “Oh thank god. My two favorite people in this house.” He said wearily. Baekhyun put down the book and put his finger to his lips, gesturing that Jongsu was asleep. Jongdae slowly came in and closed the door, mouthing an apology.

“What are you doing in here?” He whispered.

“Avoiding your aunt,” Baekhyun said truthfully, “and keeping Jongsu Company.”

Jongdae looked apologetic. “Yeah she’s insane I’m so sorry. She keeps trying to take him away saying I’m unfit to raise him. I mean she’s probably right but still I’m offended. Taeyeon had to leave because something came up with the moving company? I don’t really understand but she promised to stop by tomorrow. Anyway pretty much everyone else is gone so I’m going to get changed, do you want to borrow some more comfy clothes?”

Baekhyun looked at his watch, he had an early morning lesson tomorrow, “I should probably actually get going unless you need me to stay.” He whispered. Jongdae was about to respond but was cut off by his phone ringing. He quickly left Jongsu’s room to answer it. After a second Baekhyun followed, closing the door behind him. Jongdae was in the hallway talking seriously to whoever it was.

“Yes…okay thank you….I’ll be right there….thank you, doctor.” He hung up and looked at Baekhyun, his eyes already starting to swell with tears. Baekhyun’s heart fell and he wordlessly walked forward to embrace Jongdae.

“My mom….” He whispered, “She just ing….she just woke up,” Jongdae said into Baekhyun’s shirt. Baekhyun pushed him away.

“I thought she died you !”

“Sorry, I just…” Jongdae began to cry. Baekhyun sighed and pulled him back in, his hair and gently rubbing his back, “I have to go to the hospital.” Jongdae took a deep breath and pulled back, wiping his eyes. “Will you come with me?” He asked, “obviously if you need to leave that’s fine I ju-“

“Of course I’ll come. Can I borrow some clothes though?” Jongdae smiled and led Baekhyun to his room where he gave him some jeans and a tee shirt. They were almost exactly the same size which Baekhyun thought was cute.

Jongdae told his aunt that they were going to the hospital and asked her to keep an eye on Jongsu so they wouldn’t have to wake him. She had finished most of the excess Champaign and just nodded with a wave of her hand.

Neither of them had a car so they took a taxi to the hospital. Baekhyun watched Jongdae the whole car ride. The lights from outside flashing through the window on his face. His jaw looked strong and Baekhyun wasn’t sure he had seen one man look more tired in his life. Jongdae caught his eye and Baekhyun tried to look away quickly but, not to sound cliché, was caught in Jongdae’s gaze.

After a second Jongdae coughed, “Baekhyun I…I know I’ve said this before but I just wanted to thank you for…everything” He looked down. Baekhyun reached out and grabbed his hand, intertwining their fingers. He wasn’t sure if this was too bold but it seemed like the thing to do. Jongdae didn’t resist so that was a good sign.

“Jongdae I…”

“We’re here!” The driver said cheerfully.

“Are you always this cheerful when you bring people to the hospital?” Baekhyun asked bitterly almost, the driver apologized quickly.

“Hello I’m Kim Jongdae I’m here to see my mom, um, Kim Seohee” Jongdae said at the front desk. The lady quickly pointed him to the fourth floor. He checked in there and a Doctor with nice eyebrows and a kind face walked out.

“Hello, I’m Doctor Kim Junmyeon. Are you her son?”

“Yes, I am.” Jongdae bowed. The doctor smiled

“She is stable now and excited to see you. Are you her other son?” Dr. Kim looked at Baekhyun,

“Um no, I’m just a friend.” He stammered.

“I’m sorry for now I’m going to have to ask you to wait outside. Only family is allowed right now.”

“Of course of course. I’ll be right here” Baekhyun squeezed Jongdae’s arm, Jongdae quickly turned to him with wide eyes.

“Baekhyun she…um…” He turned back to the doctor, “does she know about Jongdeok?”

“I’m sorry?”

“My brother…oh god. I have to tell her.” Jongdae looked like he was about to faint. Baekhyun put his arms around him to steady him.

“It’s okay Jongdae you can do this.” He wasn’t sure what else to say, “I will be right out here okay?” Jongdae grabbed Baekhyun’s hand and squeezed so hard Baekhyun’s knuckles turned white. He looked like he was going to start crying again. “Hey, it’s better coming from you than someone else okay?”

“Does she have to know?” Jongdae asked weakly, “she could just…never find out.” Baekhyun squeezed Jongdae’s hand and put a hand n his shoulder.

“Jongdae she has to know. I promise it will be okay alright? I am right outside okay I’m not gonna go anywhere.”

“Okay okay. I can do this” Jongdae sounded unsure of himself but there wasn’t much Baekhyun could do. He nodded,

“Yeah you can do this.” He felt like a ing soccer coach.

“Um… are you ready to see her?” Dr. Kim asked, Jongdae nodded. He squeezed Baekhyun’s hand one more time and slowly followed the Dr. down the hall into one of the rooms. Baekhyun wasn’t sure what to do now that he was alone. He rubbed his hand to bring back the circulation and sat in one of the chairs.

He checked his phone to see he had a missed call and text from Minseok.

The Short Gay Roommate: hey you okay? Just checking. If you need to get picked up I’ll send Luhan out.

What a ing mom. Baekhyun considered not responding but he knew Minseok would worry. It was his job as the oldest member of the household to keep tabs on everyone. One of the rules he had made when they all moved in actually was he should always know where everyone was. It was comforting to have someone worry about him if Baekhyun was being honest.

Baekhyun: I’m at the hospital. Jongdae’s mom woke up. I’ll find a ride home but idk when that will be.

The Short Gay Roommate: well I’m glad she’s awake! If you need anything lmk.

Baekhyun: Thank you Hyung.

He added a kissy face and put his phone away. Jongdae wasn’t out yet but that was to be expected. Baekhyun suddenly felt very tired. He pulled his phone back out again and pulled up solitaire. The last time he had beat his high score Jongdae was telling a different relative about Jongdeok. That thought left a bad taste in his mouth so he quit the game and instead stood up to see if there was coffee anywhere nearby.

It was almost an hour before Jongdae came out. He didn’t look like he was crying but he looked more tired than before if that was even possible. Baekhyun stood up quickly.

“How is she?” he asked

“I’m sorry to keep you out here so long,” Jongdae said.

“Don’t worry about me, how is your mom?”

“She’s fine. She’s stable. The Doctor said she could probably come home sometime next week.”

“Do you want to eat something?” Baekhyun asked. Jongdae smiled but it was tired and small. Baekhyun walked up and put his arm around Jongdae.

“I’m more tired than anything,” Jongdae said, leaning into Baekhyun.

“Okay, let's get home then,” Baekhyun said. He almost carried Jongdae out of the hospital and into a cab. Jongdae clasped Baekhyun’s hand in the car and after only a couple of minutes was asleep on Baekhyun’s shoulder. Baekhyun felt warm inside. He wished he had met Jongdae under different circumstances but was glad they had met all the same.

When they got back to Jongdae’s house Baekhyun gently shook him awake so they could walk into the house. Jongdae fell into his bed without really saying anything. Baekhyun helped him take off his shoes and jacket and pulled the blankets over him. He was about to leave when he felt a tug on the edge of his (Jongdae’s) jacket.

“Please stay” Jongdae murmured half asleep. Baekhyun knelt down next to the bed so they were face to face and brought a hand up to push a strand of hair out of Jongdae’s eyes. His hand lingered on the side of his face and Jongdae sniffled. His eyes were swelling up again, “I don’t…I don’t want to be alone.” Jongdae said. Baekhyun wiped a tear off Jongdae’s cheek.

“Okay okay. I’ll stay.” He said. He set an alarm for very early so he could get home in time for his lesson and texted Minseok, sliding out of his shoes and jacket. Jongdae rolled over so Baekhyun didn’t have to crawl over him and as soon as Baekhyun was under the covers Jongdae buried his face in Baekhyun’s shirt.

After a couple of seconds, Jongdae was shaking and Baekhyun knew he was crying. Baekhyun didn’t know what to do other than rub his back soothingly until Jongdae stopped shaking and fell asleep. Baekhyun kept his arms around the other man until his phone woke him up the next morning.

He had to pry himself out of a sleeping Jongdae’s grasp. He felt like a huge for leaving but this was one of his highest paying students and he couldn’t afford to lose that. He looked at Jongdae, tangled in the sheets, his eyes still wet from the night before. He looked peaceful but Baekhyun could tell he wasn’t. He really really didn’t want to leave. He wrote a note for Jongdae to call when he woke up and quietly crept out of the house.