The Red Thread of Fate

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ah ma (grandma) ah ma! What is the red string on your right hand?" A four-year-old skinny little girl asked her grandma who was sitting on the rocking chair in the living room.

"You mean this?" The old lady held her right hand up, shaking it in front of her granddaughter.

"Yeah yeah!" The little girl nodded.

"This is the red string of fate."

"What is that?" The little girl blinked.

"It is the string that ties you to your destined other half."

The little girl tilted her head to the side, looking blankly at her grandma.

"Let ah ma tells you a story. This happened many many many many years ago. There was a young boy, who was around your age, walking home on night when he saw an old man standing below the moonlight..."

---

"Lao ye ye (grandpa), why are you here alone? Are you lost?" The young boy asked.

The old man shook his head and smiled. "I am not."

"Then why are you here by yourself?" 

"I am here to see you."

"See me?"

The old man nodded. "Do you know who am I?"

The boy shook his head.

"I am Yue Xia Lao Ren! I am the one in-charge of pulling two fated persons together with the red thread of fate."

The boy scratched his head and nodded at the old man's reply. "So why are you looking for me?"

"I am here to show you your destined wife." The old man said and then a young girl came skipping from the opposite way towards the boy's direction. 

The boy looked towards the old man with a blank look. 

"She is your destined wife. There is an invisible red thread of fate tied to both of you." 

"I don't want a wife! I don't want to get married!" The young boy shouted, and then he picked up a rock and threw it at the girl before he ran away.

"You can never outrun your fate." The old man mumbled and disappeared into the thin air.

Many years later, the young boy had grown up into a fine young man whom many girls were yearning to be his wife but his parents chose to arrange a marriage for him. 

Surprisingly he accepted this idea even though he has never seen his wife's face before.

So on the night of his wedding, he was out entertaining his guests while the wife was waiting for him in their bedroom with the traditional red veil covering her face.

When the husband was finally done with the dinner, he went back to his room to check on his wife. "Niang zi (wifey), I'm back." He announced as he made his way to his wife. 

He stretched his hands out to lift the veil up and was delighted to know that his wife was actually one of the great beauties in his village. "Niang zi, you are very beautiful!" He commented, dazzled by her beauty.

His wife lowered her head with a blush on her face, and then that was when he realized his wife was wearing an adornment on her eyebrow. "Niang zi, why are you wearing an adornment on your eyebrow?" He asked.

"Xiang gong (My lord), when I was nine years old, there was a boy who threw a rock at me and it hit my head, leaving a scar on my eyebrow. Because of self-consciousness, I decided to wear something over it to cover the scar." 

The man's eyes went wide upon hearing his wife's story. He recalled that very night when he bumped into this weird old man telling him about the red thread of fate; he threw a rock at a girl and ran off after that. He stretched his hand out to remove the adornment from her eyebrow and planted a kiss on the scar. "I'm sorry."

His wife blinked and looked at her husband with a confused look.

"I was the boy who threw the rock at you..." And then the man began telling her what exactly happened that night.

His wife was surprised and told her husband about her meeting with an old man whereby the old man told her to go to that place. Hence that was how she saw the boy and also when he threw the rock at her. 

"I couldn't believe that whatever he said was true! I guess this red thread of fate would tie us together until the day we died." The man said and kissed his wife again...

---

"Wah! The boy is a bad boy! How can he throw the rock at the girl? It's painful!" The little girl cried and covered both her eyebrows with her hands.

"Hahaha! That's because the boy is still young, he doesn't know what is love at that time!"

"I don't care! I don't care! I am not going to let a boy to throw a rock at my face! I don't want to have a scar!" The girl continued to cry.

Her grandma carried her up and placed her on her laps. "Don't worry, my little Jaycee! Everyone has a different fate and they will meet their other half in all kinds of way." 

"Really?" The girl stopped crying and looked at her grandma with teary eyes.

Her grandma nodded with a smile and wiped the tear off her face. "Yes!"

"Yeah!" The little girl cheered and got down from her grandma's laps, running off to a room and came back with a ball of red thread. "Ah ma! Ah ma! Can I tie this red thread on Cayden? I like him so I want him to be my husband!"

"Oh! Hahahaha! Aigoo! Why are you so cute?"

---

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter