The Arrange Marriage

The Arrange Marriage

Chapter 6 

 

“Mei Lin.” Yun Hao said, turning blue as she smiled at him. 

 

“What do you think? This one is beautiful, isn’t it?” She asked, showing him a necklace. 

 

“Well, it IS beautiful, really. Are you buying them for your sister?” He asked. He felt weird and was having this funny premonition that she liked the jewel a great deal and it seems like she wanted them for herself. 

 

“No, I’m buying them for myself. I mean, my...my...” Mei Ying said, as she started to stammered while Yun Hao looked at her intently as if he was seeing her for the first time. 

 

“For my mother.” She sighed and bought some of the accessories. Mei Ying had somehow forgotten that she was pretending to be a boy and there was no way she can wear all of those jewelries anymore. She sighed and looked at Yun Hao who noticed her mood change. He felt that something is wrong and tried to cheer her up. 

 

“I’m sure your mother will like it.” He said, causing her to smile a bitter smile. 

 

“I’m sure she will like it.” Mei Ying sighed and walked back to the carriage solemnly, leaving Yun Hao to trail behind her, trying desperately to figured out what has gone wrong or where he had screwed up. Never in his life had he felt so miserable and helpless. 

 

Zhu Xian had already fallen asleep while waiting for them and that left those two to talk to each other. Mei Ying looked down at the lake and at her own reflection. She reminded herself that the famous Mei Ying Gongzhu has died ever since she left the palace. She felt so lonely and missed her father. 

 

“Fu Wang.” She whispered, but the words died as soon as she saw Yun Hao’s reflection in the water. She wiped away her tears immediately and faked a smile. 

 

“Mei Lin.” He looked at her and smiled. 

 

“Are you alright?" 

 

“Yeah. It must be the tiredness. I guess I’m not uses to this sort of tiredness and exhaustion.” She lied, and forced some candies into , causing Yun Hao to laugh at her. 

 

“Mei Lin, there’s candy on your nose and cheeks.” He said, and uses his hand to wiped it away. Mei Ying froze and blushed at his action immediately. His touches were like caresses with gentleness which causes her to shiver deliciously. 

 

“Come here. Sleep beside me.” He said, and slapped the pillow and placed the blanket onto the grass properly. There was nothing but darkness that’s illuminated by the campfire. 

 

“But my sister!” Mei Ying protests, while Yun Hao looked at her bewilderedly. 

 

“Mei Lin!” He gasps. 

 

“What?” She asked, almost crying. If she didn't sleep beside him, she will die out of coldness. If she does, that’s dishonour. Dishonour to her, dishonour to her family, dishonour to her country, dishonour to all. There are things she can’t change which is, she is still a girl. An unmarried girl who’s a Mongolian Gongzhu. 

 

“What do you mean what? Don’t tell me you want to sleep with your sister in the carriage? Mei Lin.” Yun Hao pointed out, trying to protect his little friend, Zhu Xian. 

 

“But she’s alone. She can’t possibly...” Mei Ying said, and started to stammered and shiver slightly. 

 

“Mei Lin, she’s a girl and you are a boy. It’s not good if people see a boy and girl sleeping together in the same carriage. The theory is as simple as that. Boy, I’m glad I’m here. Otherwise, I’m sure you will be sleeping with your sister in there.” He said, and pulled Mei Ying closer which she fell just right beside him, shivering like a mouse facing a cat. 

 

“But...But Yun Hao.” 

 

“No buts! You are not sleeping with you sister tonight and not ever! That is that! It’s not right! Do you understand?!” He asked sternly. 

 

“It’s not like I’m going to do anything to her! She’s my sister!” Mei Ying protests. 

 

“I know that but it’s not good. A boy and girl sleeping together? No, I must protect her name and yours.” Yun Hao said, while Mei Ying was considering breaking into tears and revealing her identity but something stopped her, of course. Her senses of freedom and happiness stopped her from doing so. 

 

“Hey, are you cold?” He asked, and held her hand. 

 

“You are shivering.” He said, and draped the blanket on both of them, causing Mei Ying to almost resort into tears, “Come here. Let your brother protect you from the cold.” He said, and wrapped his arms around her. 

 

“No!” She protests again, as he smiled and closed his eyes. 

 

Jun Xiu shook Zai Zhong bewilderedly as he wailed furiously. His voice started to rise dangerously as he started to feel helpless. The incident of Tai Yan Gongzhu trying to attempt suicidal somehow made him feel so odd and weird all over. True, he didn't want to marry her but he is still humane. She’s still his betrothed, no matter what. 

 

“I’m telling the truth. She doesn’t want to marry you and you almost causes the poor girl’s death.” Zai Zhong said, while Jun Xiu shivered. 

 

“Tien Ah! Marriage is so bad!” He cried, and ruffled his black hair miserably. 

 

“I don’t get it. What’s so bad about getting married? It’s not like she’s an ugly beast or something. She’s pale as a result of the cloth around , yes, but I can see that she’s beautiful.” 

 

“I don’t care whether she’s beautiful or not. I really don't care as I don’t have any feelings towards her, except for compassionate. She’s my future wife and I don’t want her to die because of me.” Jun Xiu muttered, almost incoherently. 

 

“What are you talking about?” Zai Zhong asked confusedly. 

 

“Tai Yan Gongzhu, who else?” He said, and went to his study table, picking up a brush and a piece of paper. He sighed and scribbled something on it while Zai Zhong looked at him curiously. As soon as Jun Xiu was done with the paper, he handed it to Zai Zhong and smiled. 

 

“Now, problem solved.” He laughed slightly. 

 

“What do you mean by that? Are you breaking off the engagement?” Zai Zhong asked, slightly horrified. 

 

“Silly. Of course not. I’m not that idiotic to create war between two countries. Besides, I believe everything could be worked out as soon as we are married. We will determined on how to live together and to tolerate each other. We will determined whether we will be real husband and wife or not.” 

 

“You are crazy. Don’t give her false hope.” Zai Zhong said, but Jun Xiu just pushed Zai Zhong out of the room and smiled. 

 

“You are officially my messenger now. Get yourself out of here and hand this letter to my fiancé, your future sister in law." 

 

“But...” 

 

“Do not read. Make sure you hand it to her and don’t throw it away.” Jun Xiu said, causing Zai Zhong to sighed.