The Arrange Marriage

The Arrange Marriage

Chapter 14 

 

“Yun Hao, what are we doing here?” Mei Ying asked, blushing slightly. 

 

“Shhh. Be quiet. I’m trying to choose something.” He said, and took something from the stall’s table, examining it, “Are you buying something for Zhu Xian?” She asked, smiling, forgetting that he took her as a girl for tonight. She smiled happily and continued to looked at the stall keeper. 

 

“No, its for you, dearest.” He smiled and held her hand lovingly, freaking her out almost immediately but she liked the feeling of having his hands in hers. 

 

It felt warm and whole. She adored the way that he called her, ‘Dearest’. She really loved the feeling, truly and she secretly wished that he could hold her hand like that forever, though she knew that it’s not possible for her. She knew that it’s not possible as she thought that he just acknowledged her as his younger brother, not as the person that he loves. Even if he knew her identity and loved her in returned, it will be hard for both of them. It’s not possible as Mei Ying isn't an ordinary girl; she’s a Mongolian Gongzhu, the future empress of Mongolia. One day, she might ascend the throne as her Fu Wang had made it very clear to her that she will be the future empress of Mongolia. Mei Ying know that she couldn’t possibly marry someone that she, herself, isn't clear of his background. Her Fu Wang and the entire Mongolian royal family will go against her. 

 

“Why for me?” She asked, somehow embarrassed with his answer. The stall keeper looked at them happily and approvingly at their so-called mushy act. 

 

“So you can wear it.” He chuckled softly and held her closer tenderly and lovingly. He’s truly convinced that she’s really a girl. A girl will always be a girl and the way that she reacted to his touch...Well, slightly similar to his sister back in Beijing, only hers is more warm and it made him feel whole. He feels so complete and contented. 

 

“But I’m a.” She said, but her words died as he looked at her intently. 

 

“You are a girl, remember?” He smiled at her meaningfully, causing her to blushed. 

 

“Oh, I forgot.” She blushed while the stall keeper looked at the blessed couple intently. 

 

“This one will looked nice on you.” He said. 

 

“Excellent choice, sir. It’s new and it will looked absolutely perfect on your beautiful wife.” The stall keeper said, causing Mei Ying to blushed and looked away at the word ‘Wife’. 

 

“Shi, I’m sure my wife will adored this. Won’t you, honey?” Yun Hao said teasingly, yet meaningfully to Mei Ying, causing more blushed to establish on her face. Yun Hao just smiled at her feminine reaction towards his words, “There.” Yun Hao said, as he slipped the ruby hairclip into Mei Ying's hair. 

 

“Um...what am I supposed to do with this hairclip when I’m not a girl anymore?” Mei Ying asked incoherently, “It’s expensive and...” 

 

“Silly. Keep it until you are married.” He said meaningfully. Ruby hairclips symbolized double happiness. It can be used to express one’s love and endearments towards the girl that he loves. Unfortunately, this is a Manchurian custom and not a Mongolian custom so Mei Ying didn't understand the symbolic meaning of the ruby hairclip at all. To her, it was just another accessory that she can wear in her hair. 

 

“Keep it until I’m married?” She asked, smiling. 

 

“Yeah, keep it until you are married.” Yun Hao replied, smiling at her lovingly while she blushed. 

 

“You mean I should give this to my wife?” She asked innocently; as she thought that he still take her as a boy in disguises as a girl. How unfortunate, Mei Ying was truly blind in the matter. 

 

“Maybe.” Yun Hao shrugged, smiling at her. 

 

“But I don’t think I will be able to give this to my wife.” She said, looking at him in a rather meaningful way and much to her surprises, he nodded. 

 

“I know.” 

 

“What do you mean you know? Are you cursing me not to get married?” She asked, half-joking. He just laughed at her statement and found it rather amusing. 

 

“In some way, I know that you are not going to get married to a girl.” 

 

“Hey, what do you mean by that?” 

 

“I thought you told me that you aren't interested in girls?” He asked jokingly, yet meaningfully. 

 

“Very funny.” She said, rolling her eyes heavenward. Of course, she’s not interested in girls. Why should she be? She’s a girl herself. 

 

“Come on, let’s go. It’s too crowded here.” Yun Hao said, and wrapped his arms around her again, while she blushed. She looked at him intently and wished something she had never wished before. She wished that he’s someone that she could love freely without any borders or barrier. 

 

“Let’s not go anymore.” Yun Hao said, as he looked at Mei Ying intently. 

 

“Huh? What?” Mei Ying asked, smiling at Yun Hao beautifully, causing him to sighed. 

 

“Let’s not go to the brothel anymore. I don’t want anything bad to happened to you.” He sighed solemnly while she looked at him questioningly. 

 

“Yun Hao, what’s this all about? I thought we agreed to do this already? No joke. Are you chickening out?” Mei Ying asked jokingly, looking at him, not realizing that she has somehow hurtled his feelings deeply. She didn't know that what he’s trying to do is protect her and he’s very upset that she doesn’t understand him. Of course, she doesn’t as she thought that he’s not aware that she's a girl. Not only an ordinary girl but also the girl that he loves with all of his heart. 

 

“No.” 

 

“Then?” 

 

“You are my friend, I mean...I don’t want anything bad to happened to you.” He said, trying desperately not to show any emotions to her. He felt so useless somehow. 

 

“Yun Hao, I’m a boy, come on. The worst thing that’s going to happened to me is getting killed.” She joked, and linked her hands in his. He just smiled bitterly as she laughed happily at her own joke. 

 

“It’s not funny, Mei Lin.” He whispered. 

 

“Life is not what you can joke around with.” 

 

“Yun Hao, what’s wrong? I mean, you are so gloomy. Are you ok?” 

 

“No, not really. I’m not feeling very good.” He sighed. 

 

“Are you sick?" Mei Ying asked, placing her hand on his forehead gently and ever so softly. Yun Hao caught hold of her hand and smiled. 

 

“Perhaps not that kind of sick, Mei Lin.” He whispered, holding her hand tightly. 

 

“Too bad to back out now when we are here already.” Mei Ying smiled as both of them stood in front of the brothel with a lot of people around them. Yun Hao couldn’t resist it anymore. He pulled her in his embrace gently and gave her a peck on her rosy cheeks. Mei Ying was instantly mortified by his action. 

 

“I will be around. I hope everything will worked out fine.” Yun Hao said meaningfully, from the bottom of his heart and backed off slightly, leaving Mei Ying standing there, unmoved.