Chpt 9

A Reason to Stay

Nari awoke the next morning to a phone call from Jung YongHwa. He called to remind her to come in to review the song. Nari agreed and hurriedly got ready to head to FNC. 
When she entered the studio, the members smiled welcomingly. As per the usual, JongHyun avoided her blatantly. However, this time, YongHwa tapped him on the back, signaling him to acknowledge Nari. JongHyun stood up and walked up to her.
“I’m sorry about what happened last week. I was out of place. The song really is good.” He admitted, avoiding eye contact. Nari nodded and accepted his apology.
“Should we get down to business now?” Nari asked, looking to YongHwa, who nodded, smiling. The members went to their spots and took up their instruments, signaling the producer on the other side to take a break. 
As Nari sat in front of them, she noticed how handsome all the men looked. They looked so professional up close and Nari appreciated how seriously they treated her song. Once the music began and YongHwa’s voice echoed in the room, Nari began to smile uncontrollably. Once they were done, she clapped enthusiastically. The members seemed pleased with her reaction and put down their instruments. 
“Any criticisms?” MinHyuk asked, shyly. Nari thought, and although the song was great, she wondered if it really suited the band.
“It’s good,” she began, “but there aren’t a lot of ‘rock band’ elements to it. It seems like something that a group can dance to, rather than play to.”
“I agree, it’s very low-key for a band,” JungShin offered. Nari nodded, agreeing with the maknae.
“What about a guitar solo?” Nari suggested. The members turned to JongHyun, who stared at Nari, shocked that she would want to give him a bigger part. 
“Well, we could do that, but how and where in the song?” JongHyun asked, not entirely convinced. 
Nari stood up and took his guitar in her hands. “Let’s do the song again, and I’ll show you.”
JongHyun chuckled. “No offense, but can you really follow a song you just heard?”
“Of course, I can.”
With that, the members, all except JongHyun, got into position and began playing. JongHyun watched Nari as she played, looking out for any mistakes, but he ended up astonished as she seemed to play smoothly, remembering each and every note. Even her posture was impressive. During the break in the song, where YongHwa had a piano solo, Nari offered a smooth, electric guitar solo that complimented the song perfectly. The members nodded along with her influence and even JongHyun was in awe. 
Rather than listening to the sound, he found himself staring at Nari and her unfazed expression. He couldn’t help but notice how comfortable she looked behind the guitar.  She looked like the perfect mix of pop and rock, in one cute package. He even admitted to himself that she looked elegant while playing.
When the song ended, Nari looked directly at JongHyun. 
“How was that?” she asked, hoping for a positive response.
He stuttered, aware of how large her auburn eyes were. “It-it was great. It really compliments the song.”
The others nodded in agreement. Nari felt content that she could help them with something, at last.
A phone ringtone chirped in the background. Nari rushed for her phone, which was on the ground next to JongHyun’s seat. 
“Yoboseyo? Ah, JooHyuk oppa,” she answered, with a smile playing at the sides of . The CNBLUE members chatted silently but JongHyun watched Nari’s face carefully. He wondered what she could be hearing to make her smile like that. He was familiar with Kim JooHyuk, as he met him a few times in the KBS building, but they never spoke in depth. 
“Huh, tonight? Ok, sure. I can meet you around 7?” Nari continued, smiling more and more. 
JongHyun checked his watch. The time was currently 2:15pm. 
When Nari hung up the phone, JongHyun spoke first. 
“Nari-ah. Do you think you could teach me that solo you did just now?”
“Sure thing,” Nari responded, hoping that this was a sign that JongHyun hated her a little less now. 

A few hours later, JongHyun and Nari were alone in the studio, still practicing the solo. She was convinced he was messing with her. She knew how good he was at guitar already, so learning a simple solo should not take so long. She was growing tired and frustrated. Every time JongHyun made a mistake, Nari lost a little bit of energy. She was ready to snap at him and leave him for the night. Plus, she had to meet JooHyuk for dinner, to which she looked forward.
Suddenly, her phone rang,; JooHyuk was calling. 
When she answered the phone, she glanced at the time. It was 6:15pm.
“JooHyuk oppa? I don’t think I can make dinner tonight, I’m in the FNC building, helping someone with a song,” she said apologetically.
JongHyun smiled to himself and stood up to stretch. 
“Really? You’ll come here?” Now a smile was forming on her face. JongHyun turned to her, shocked. This was not what he had in mind. He didn’t want Kim JooHyuk in his studio. “Okay, see you soon, Oppa.”

20 minutes later, JooHyuk knocked on the studio door, with a salad in his hand and two rolls of kimbap. When he saw Nari, he smiled happily. Nari returned the smile, but remembering that JongHyun was also there, she remained composed. 
“I brought dinner, but I’m not sure I have enough for three people,” JooHyuk said, upon seeing JongHyun. 
JongHyun greeted his hyung, but said it was okay. “Will this take long? We have some work to do.” JongHyun tried his best not to seem too offensive but he really did not like his time with Nari being interrupted.
JooHyuk sensed the challenge, and responded, “don’t worry. But you of all people, shouldn’t need so much time with learning a guitar piece, right?” 
JongHyun smirked and glared at JooHyuk. 
Nari felt uncomfortable with the two of them, especially with how harsh their words seemed to be to each other.