Chpt 8

A Reason to Stay

That night, as the members of YongKi gathered to have dinner, there was a knock at the front door. It was rare for anyone to visit them, especially in the night and it couldn’t be their Manager, as he knew the passcode for the apartment. Laura stood up to see who it was via the video on the security system, which allowed them to unlock the door without actually going to the door. When the video came up, Laura gasped loudly. 
“Unnie, it’s JooHyuk-ssi,” she said, with wide eyes. The members looked at Nari, inquisitively. 
Nari rolled her eyes and got up to open the door. As the door creaked open slightly, JooHyuk held up a bag, filled with boxes. From the look of it, Nari could tell that it contained a box of canned beer and two boxes of fried chicken, namely “Chi-Baek” (Chicken and Baekchu [beer]). She looked from the boxes to him, with a smile forming. 
“Idols don’t eat fried chicken, and beer makes us look bloated the next day,” she said, still not opening the door. 
JooHyuk nodded and shrugged. “It’s a peace offering.”
“Unnie, let him in! We smell chicken!” Dani called from the apartment. JooHyuk smiled and pushed opened the door. As soon as the bag was visible, the girls forgot their own dinners and bowed to welcome him, while staring at the bag in his hand. 
JooHyuk smiled and handed them the bag. He turned to Nari and closed the door. There was no going back now; he was in for the night. The girls took the boxes to the television area and pounced on the items. JooHyuk joined them and took off his jacket, smiling at the sight of the idols. This was their first time  meeting and he immediately found them entertaining. He looked at Nari, who stood in the kitchen, pouring large glasses of water for the girls and for their guest. 
Nari felt a touch on her lower back and jumped. 
“Sorry,” JooHyuk said, smiling teasingly. Nari still hadn’t given him any indication that she forgave him, but he hoped it would get better. 
He helped her carry the glasses to the table, and waited for her to dig in. When she merely sat on the outskirts of the group, JooHyuk questioned her.
“You’re not going to have any?”
“Nari-unnie doesn’t eat this kind of stuff anymore,” Meri answered before Nari could.
“How come? Because you became an idol?”
The members glanced at each other, as though there was some secret that JooHyuk was not permitted to know yet. JooHyuk understood and went on, “not even a beer, at least?”
“I have some work to do,” Nari said suddenly, raising from her seat. “JooHyuk oppa, you can leave when you want. They can show you out. Thanks for the food.” With that, Nari left the room and headed for her own room. 

When the door was shut, the girls began talking silently, letting the television sounds cover their own voices.
“JooHyuk-ssi, don’t worry about Nari-unnie. Food is sort of her enemy, so she stays away from these kinds of meals,” Momo explained, hoping to offer some sort of explanation. 
JooHyuk thought back to their meal times on 2D1N and remembered that Nari never ate large amounts. He always thought that it was due to her wanting to keep her idol figure, but if it wasn’t that, then what could it be? He thought not to pry further and made a mental note to later ask Nari what food she would eat, for the next time. 

Before he left the apartment, JooHyuk knocked on Nari’s door and since she didn’t respond, he proceeded to open the door. She wasn’t working. Instead, she was sleeping soundly on a small bed. He looked around the room quickly and took in the mini recording studio she had set up, with a pair of guitars next to it. He knew she was talented, but had no idea that she was so dedicated to her music that she sacrificed more than half of her room for the sake of her equipment. He moved to crouch next to her and her cheek gently with the back of his hand, and gave her a slight kiss on the forehead before he got up. Before leaving, he took one last look at her sleeping frame and left

~~~. 

Nari heard someone knock and closed her eyes, not wanted to talk to anyone for the rest of the night. She knew it was JooHyuk and she waited for him to leave quietly. However, he came closer to her. She felt his soft caress on her cheek, and she returned to the feeling of utter comfort she felt when she was at his apartment. When he moved again, she thought he would leave, but instead felt a kiss on her forehead and smiled internally. When the door clicked shut, she opened her eyes and felt where he touched her, smiling to herself. She knew in that moment, that she had forgiven him. She wanted to get up and see him before he left the apartment, but she thought it would be awkward for them, after what he just did. Instead, she reveled in her feeling of comfort and drifted off to sleep. She would call him tomorrow, even if it was just to hear his voice.