Chpt 30

A Reason to Stay

Thankfully, Nari did not have any broken bone or internal injuries. However, her ribs were black and blue and her legs were painted with red bruises. The news had already reached the media and newspapers were not keeping quiet about it. Internet portals were reporting anything and everything they gathered from the girls that were now charged with assault and reporters were interviewing all the 2D1N crew members, including the writers and the drivers for the show, hoping to get any new information on what had happened. However, all the stories had the same base; Nari was attacked by JooHyuk’s sasaeng fans AGAIN and Nari had reportedly quit the show for fear of being attacked again in the future. 
Nari’s phone had been ringing constantly since that day. She accepted all the concerned calls from her fellow 2D1N members, except of course, for JooHyuk. She vowed to forget him and she was sticking with that plan.
CEO Han told her he would take care of getting her removed from the cast. It proved easy as this wasn’t just a simple case of a member quitting to pursue something else. The attack had reached an international level and, although the YongKi fans vowed to protect and keep supporting the YongKi leader, the group and the company tried to maintain a sense of peace among the fandoms. 
For the next few days, Nari confined herself to the apartment, leaving only to collect the mail from the lobby. Many YongKi fans sent over supportive letters and packages of snacks to show their support and loyalty to Nari. Every time she saw one of them, she felt a pang of guilt in her heart, as she knew that the group was going to disappoint them all by announcing their disbandment. 

It wasn’t long till December arrived and the girls only left the apartment to promote their last album and have meetings with the CEO in the FNC building. Up till now, there had been no contact between Nari and JooHyuk. However, one morning, the CEO called her into his office and Nari found herself sitting opposite Kim JooHyuk, who kept trying to make eye contact with her. She looked around the room, at anything but his eyes. 
“Nari-ah, before anything happens to YongKi, I think we should hold a press conference to clear up the misunderstandings that the sasaeng fans are having about you.” The CEO glanced at both guests, waiting for a response.
“Wait, what’s happening to YongKi?” JooHyuk asked. 
Before the CEO could answer him, Nari chimed in, “We’re disbanding and leaving before the new year.”
Nari said all this while looking down at her hands in her lap. 
“You’re-you’re leaving?” JooHyuk asked, his voice breaking on the last word.
Nari merely nodded and turned to the CEO.
“I have no desire to calm his crazed fans. JooHyuk himself tried to explain to them before, but they can’t be helped anymore.” 
The CEO nodded and moved to convince her otherwise.
“CEO Han, please. I refuse to be in public with this man ever again. At least give me some peace before I have to leave.” 
CEO Han sighed loudly, showing his frustration. “Fine, we’ll do what you want. Once you’re gone, it won’t matter anyway.” 
Nari nodded. “Well, if we’re done here, let me leave you two alone.” She stood up and bowed to the CEO, ignoring JooHyuk’s presence. 
“Nari-ah, please. Are you really leaving?” JooHyuk asked, rising to his feet as well.
Nari stood still and said over her shoulder, “It is natural for human beings to avoid danger. What greater danger have I faced in Korea than being in the same room with you?”
JooHyuk was speechless and Nari, satisfied, left the room hurriedly. 
As she headed for the elevator, JongHyun jogged up to her side.
“Is it true? Are you really leaving?” he asked, his faced contorted with worry. 
Nari nodded silently and asked, “Is there any reason for me to stay?” 
He looked at her, confused. He knew what was happening but he couldn’t bear to see her leave the country. He needed her to be there. He needed to see her. He needed to hear her voice. If she left, he had nothing to look forward to while at FNC. 
“Nari-ah, could I – could I be a reason for you to stay?” JongHyun asked, holding her hand in his. 
The elevator doors opened and Nari pulled her hand away from JongHyun’s grasp. She knew he was being sincere, but she could no longer depend on sincerity anymore; she needed more. She got in the elevator and chose her floor. She looked at JongHyun one last time and shook her head. 
She mouthed ‘sorry’, unable to bring her voice up, knowing that she was hurting him. The doors shut and she was alone once more, wondering if that were the last time she would see him.