Chpt 23

A Reason to Stay

When Nari awoke the second time, she had different company this time, and the room was filled with scents of different foods: sushi, kimbap, tteobbeokki, fried chicken and jjajjangmyun, she noticed. As she raised herself up, with the pain in her center subsiding slightly, she saw familiar male faces: the cast of 2D1N. 
Upon seeing her, they all got up and came to her side. Nari’s eyes widened, as she didn’t know why they would possibly be there.
To her right, she saw the smiling face of Cha TaeHyun, followed by Kim JongMin, and  Kim JunHo. On the opposite side, Kim JooHyuk was closest to her, following behind with Jung JoonYoung and Defconn.
She glanced at each of their concerned faces and asked sheepishly, “Cha “TaeHyun-ssi, why are you and the other member of 2D1N here?”
The men recalled that the doctor informed them of Nari’s memory loss and that they should not inform her all-at-once, but rather allow her to recall memories on her own. 
TaeHyun smiled and said, “Well, we were just making sure that our newest cast member did not have to miss out on any recordings.” 
The other men chuckled along with him; all except for Kim JooHyuk, whose eyes followed Nari’s every action, boring holes into her with his constant looks. 
“I’m the newest member of 2D1N?” Nari asked, her eyes widening. 
The members stuttered a little, as they thought they let an important memory slip, but Nari just smiled to herself and welcomed their presence.

Once Nari got acquainted with her fellow members, they left. Once again, all left, except for JooHyuk. 
With the door shut, he moved to Nari’s side and took a seat on the doctor’s stool. He stared at her, questions playing on the tip of his tongue, desperate to be asked. Nari, in turn, returned his stares, chuckling every now and then when he never faltered.
“Nari-ah,” JooHyuk asked, almost whispering. “Do you really not remember anything?”
Nari nodded and the remembered the visit from the Officers earlier that day. 
“JooHyuk-ssi, the Officers said that the lady who hit me was a sasaeng fan of yours. But, why would she want to hurt me?”
JooHyuk’s face fell when he referred to her so formally, but decided to focus on her question for now. He knew that he shouldn’t tell her anything about what had transpired between the two of them, as per instructed by the doctor, but the temptation was too hard to resist.
“Well, Nari-ah, you and I have-,” he found himself saying, but stopped as the room door swung open, revealing a sweaty, panting, disheveled Lee JongHyun. 
JooHyuk immediately stood up and moved towards the end of Nari’s bed, hoping to block her from JongHyun. However, JongHyun took no notice of his hyung and pushed his was past him, his eyes never leaving Nari’s bed-ridden body.
Nari immediately recognized him as CNBLUE’s star guitarist, but she still wondered why he would visit her and why he was watching her so intently. 
As soon as JongHyun reached her side, he gripped her right hand between his hands and brought them to his lips. Nari watched on, astonished by his blunt actions. She noticed JooHyuk scowling in front of the bed, glaring at the guitarist. 
“Nari-ah, are you feeling okay now? I only just found out about the accident so I rushed here. Sorry about my appearance, by the way.” JongHyun’s hair was plastered to his forehead, with sweat and his cheeks were flushed red. 
Nari, assuming that the two of them had somehow gotten familiar over the past few months, placed her left hand on his cheek, while moving her thumb to brush his hair aside. JongHyun smiled slowly, leaning against her palm, welcoming the warmth. 
JooHyuk cleared his throat, but Nari was consumed with her thoughts. For some reason, she felt comfortable around JongHyun and seeing as he did not move her hand away, she believed that something must have happened between them. She always found him handsome, but never dared to be interested in him when she moved to SK. 
Unknowingly, JooHyuk led himself out of the room and shut the door quietly behind him, leaving the two of them alone. As he strolled through the hospital halls, he fought back the tears that were forming, allowing himself to be overcome with anger at the younger musician. He knew that it was only because of Nari’s accident that she didn’t remember how close he was to her. However, it was because of his fan that Nari now laid, injured, in a hospital bed. He was somewhat responsible and he knew that he had no right to pursue her, but to think that he would lose to Lee JongHyun made his anger increase. He had to fight for Nari, even if it meant forming new memories with her, with the hopes of triggering the old ones.  

~~~ 

“Lee JongHyun-ssi,” Nari began, before he cut her off.
“Please, call me ‘Oppa’,” he told her, smirking playfully. “It’s what we agreed to before.”
“Oh, I’m sorry. I don’t know if the doctor told you, but apparently I’ve lost all of my memories since the beginning of September.”
JongHyun nodded to her. “Yes, Momo told me when she called to tell me.”
“Momo told you?”
He nodded again. Although it was just the two of them in the room, Nari felt comfortable enough that she just lay back down and continued their chat. 
“Were the two of us always so comfortable?” Nari asked, genuinely curious.
“Well, not always, but I’ve been trying to convince you for a while now.”
“Convince me of what?” 
JongHyun blushed, and leaned closer towards her bed. “Of my feelings for you.”
Nari’s eyes widened as her heart raced. She stared into his eyes, then watched the way the left side of his mouth turned up, as if showing his embarrassment. His eyes were intense, but made her felt oddly safe. She remembered watching him as he acted in a short drama about Vampires, called “Orange Marmalade.” She watched him on her computer screen and her heart sped up every time he gave a serious, intense look, facing the camera. She was now reminded of that show as she smiled at him, fighting the urge to pass her hand through his now-drying hair. As he rushed over to the hospital, his hair stuck up in all direction and Nari wanted to sit up and comb through it with her fingers.
JongHyun watched her, trying to imagine what she was thinking. 
Instead he asked, “When Kim JooHyuk was here before, what did he talk to you about?”
Nari responded, “He was about to tell me something, but then you came in, so nothing, I guess.”
JongHyun nodded and stood up. He kissed her hand again and asked, “So, Nari-ah, have you accepted my feelings for you?”
Nari was taken aback. “I don’t think I can answer that, since I don’t even remember how I met you initially.” She chuckled, trying to diffuse the tension between them.
“Of course, how selfish of me. The most important thing right now is that you remember your memories.”
Nari smiled at him, as she watched him make his way to the door.
“Now that I’ve seen that my Nari is doing well, I can relax a little.”
Although he said that with his back towards her, Nari focused on how he referred to her as ‘my Nari’. It was just about the cutest thing she ever heard, from what she remembered. 
“Are you leaving already?” Nari asked, afraid that he was really going to leave.
He turned towards her ad nodded. “There are a lot of reporters out there who are curious about your accident and how you’re coping in the hospital. CEO Han told whoever visits you to talk to the reporters, so I have to do my job now.”
Nari smiled, understanding how demanding the CEO and the press can be at times. 
“Will you be back later?” she asked, feeling strangely eager to spend time with him. 
“Of course. I’ll be back after practice with CNBLUE.”
With that, he left the room, leaving Nari with her thoughts.
She enjoyed JongHyun’s company but found her mind returning to her conversation with JooHyuk. So, the accident was caused by one of his sasaeng fan, but why would she want to attack her? Was there something that Nari did during the shoot of 2D1N that was inappropriate or offensive to JooHyuk? And, why did he look at her so intently? Nari was convinced that JooHyuk could tell her more about what had happened in the past few months that anyone else. If only JongHyun hadn’t interrupted them before, she would have gotten some more information about her missing memories.