Chpt 3

A Reason to Stay

After the intro, the cameras were off and the producers had a quick meeting.

Nari walked away, looking for Max, when JoonYoung stopped her.

“Must be nice, having JooHyuk hyung defend you, huh?” he asked, teasingly.

Nari just smiled and nodded in agreement.

“Jung Nari-ssi!”

Nari looked towards the voice. Speaking of the devil.

JooHyuk was jogging over in their direction. When he reached her, he was panting slightly and Nari chuckled to herself. JoonYoung looked annoyed at his Hyung’s interruption and turned and walked away.

Now, it was just JooHyuk and Nari.

JooHyuk patted Nari’s arm again and said, “you did well during the intro. Keep it up.”

She thanked him and stayed quiet, sensing that he had something else to say.

“This industry can be tough. If you need any help, you can always come to me, with anything.”

Nari immediately smiled wider, thankful to have someone on her side. She bowed in thanks and saw her manager walking towards her. JooHyuk followed her stare and said goodbye, not wanting to bother her further.

The day went by smoothly and Nari found herself quite lucky that day, as she won the Dinner Game of Chance and won the chance to sleep indoors.

The production crew had not organized for her to sleep indoors with the other male members, but Nari didn’t want to make a fuss, so she put blankets between her and JoonYoung, who took up the spot next to her. It was a wide enough space for someone else to sleep, but it remained empty for the sake of the show.

That night, JoonYoung, TaeHyun and JooHyuk slept indoors, with JooHyuk closest to the entrance. The night went by peacefully and the members drifted off to sleep as soon as they settled themselves on the floor.

~~~

When the morning song blasted through the speakers, Nari got up suddenly. She was always a light sleeper, especially when she slept in unfamiliar places.

As she stood up, she heard the other members rustling next to her, fighting to go back to dreamland.

“Good morning, sleepyhead,” JooHyuk said from the opposite side of the room. He smiled at her warmly and proceeded to stand up. Nari suddenly became aware of her bed-hair and rushed to get her hairbrush and make-up powder, to look decent for the morning cameras. Once she was content, she followed JooHykuk outside, stepping over the now-awake TaeHyun and JoonYoung. She looked toward JooHyuk, unaware of what to do. The morning mission was simple, as they were so informed before they went to bed. All they had to dowas collect 2D1N flags around the amusement park and whoever collected it and returned to the sleeping site could go home.

When she remembered, she immediately began running. She searched all the main rides, like the rollercoasters and the Haunted House, but she came up empty-handed. As she began to stroll now, completely out of energy, she noticed the other members searching rigorously. JongMin and JunHo were fighting over a flag while JoonYoung headed for the GoCarts area.

“Psst, Nari-ssi!” JooHyuk called from behind a children’s game stand.

She looked over and followed his call. When she was close enough, he pulled out two flags from behind his back and gave her one.

“Thank you, JooHyuk-ssi.”

“You can call me Oppa, if you want.”

“Okay,” Nari said, clutching the flag to her chest. “Thanks, JooHyuk oppa.”

He smiled shyly as he heard her call him that for the first time. He loved how that simple term sounded in her voice.

Together, they headed back to the sleeping base and handed in their flags, getting the okay to leave the shoot for the week.

As Nari walked towards her van and her Manager, JooHyuk rushed towards her, with his cellphone in hand.

“Nari-ah, should we exchange numbers just in case?” he asked, sheepishly.

Nari nodded and entered her number into his phone and then called it, so that she could get his number in return.

He thanked her and ushered her into the van. He closed the door and said his final goodbyes for the day.

On the way back to the apartment, Nari reflected on her first shoot, and thought it went well overall. To reassure herself, she told herself that the other members would warm up to her eventually and that even if they didn’t, she could rely on JooHyuk’s help. Speaking of JooHyuk, Nari’s phone buzzed, signaling an incoming text message. She opened her Kakao Talk app and saw his name appear.

“You did good for your first shoot. Fighting!~” .

She smiled, feeling proud that she made it through the first day without incident. She responded a thanks, with a smiling emoticon. She felt lucky to have someone as kind and friendly as JooHyuk on her side.