Chpt 36

A Reason to Stay

When the girls arrived at the YG building, the CEO called for them.
As soon as they entered, he ordered them to have a seat. The tension was obvious in the room and the members began feeling more scared and nervous with every passing minute. 
Suddenly, the CEO slammed a few photographs on the coffee table in front of the girls. This situation felt all too familiar to Nari. She dreaded this moment as she had planned and tried to avoid it for the past two years. She glanced down at the photos and her heart sank. Indeed, they were what she feared. In front of her, lay photos of JooHyuk entering her apartment and a few from this morning as he left with the girls. The CEO waited for Nari, or any of the girls, to say anything. His heavy breathing added to their increasing fear. 
After a moment of silence, the CEO exclaimed, “Will someone please say something about this!”
Together, the girls jumped, shocked at his outburst. 
“CEO Yang,” Nari started. “Kim JooHyuk was indeed at our apartment last night.”
“Well, thank you for confirming that for me. What I want from you is why he was there. I’ve heard about the possibility of a romance between you and him but I ignored that and trusted that you would take care of it on your own.”
Nari nodded, feeling guilty and ashamed for having to be in this situation for the second time. However, this time, she felt a little more sure of how she should go about revealing this issue, should it reach the media.
She looked the CEO squarely in the eyes, and mustered her courage.
“CEO Yang, there is currently a romantic relationship between me and Kim JooHyuk.”
The CEO sighed and sunk back into his plush seat. He stared at Nari, utterly shocked. However, Nari held her ground and kept his gaze. 
“Do you want to reveal that relationship to the public?” 
The CEO’s question shook her. She didn’t expect him to acknowledge her plan before she announced it. 
Nari nodded. She wanted to stop running from her feelings and she wanted the world to support her one more time. She had everything else in order, all except for JooHyuk.
The CEO closed his eyes and motioned for the girls to leave his office. 
Hesitantly, the girls left the office, closing the door quietly behind them. As they headed down the hallway, Nari’s phone rang. JooHyuk was calling her. 
“Nari-ah, have you talked to your CEO yet?” JooHyuk asked, hurriedly.
“Yes, Oppa. What’s wrong?”
“My CEO also received the photos this morning and he asked me what I wanted to do about the situation. So, I wanted to call and see what you decided.”
She wanted to be as honest with him as she could be. She informed him, “I told the CEO that I wouldn’t be opposed to revealing our relationship to the public.”
There was a pause on the other side of the line. “Really, are you serious?”
He seemed to make a 180 in his tone. He sounded like a child that was just offered ice-cream on a hot Summer day.
“Yes, it’s true, Oppa.”
“That-that’s fantastic! You have no idea how happy you’ve made me.”
Nari smiled widely and ended the call after saying her goodbyes. 
She told the girls what just happened and together, they shrieked and squealed in the hallway. Although they supported JongHyun before, they couldn’t oppose her choice, as JooHyuk made her outwardly and internally happy.


By the end of the week, the media outlets released the first article of the two agencies confirming that JooHyuk and Nari were involved in a romantic relationship. By 7:30 am, Nari’s phone was filled with missed calls from her Father, her Manager and her fellow YG members, including the BigBang oppas. Every time her phone lit up, she smiled internally and looked forward to what the fans would say in response. Of course, she dreaded the worst. It was frowned upon in Korea for being in a relationship with someone almost twice her age, but she was prepared to ignore those comments and focus on her own happiness for a change. 
However, when her father called for the fifth time, she figured that she couldn’t avoid him forever. She answered the call.
“Jung Nari! What the hell is this? This better be a fake story!” Her father yelled at her almost instantly. 
Before Nari could respond, the yelling continued. “I told you not to do this! What the hell are you thinking?”
This time, he waited for her to respond. It was obvious that he wasn’t just shocked; he was outraged. 
“This is the choice I’ve made and the path I’ve decided to take.” Nari remained calm on her end and waited for another outburst from her father. 
“How can you be so selfish? How do you think people will look at us after this?”
Nari couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She expected him to be upset, but not this selfish. She couldn’t believe that he was making this all about him, again. 
Annoyed, Nari responded, “Well, I guess they’ll know who I take after.”
Her father stammered a response, but Nari clicked to end the call and placed the phone on silent. She needed support now, not judgement from someone who once supported her every move. 

That evening, the social media sites were on fire. Fans were becoming anti-fans and were arguing with those that remained loyal. It wasn’t long before the agency’s IT department came into effect and shut down the sites.
Even on the television, local entertainment news broadcasts announced the controversial relationship between the mature actor and the young idol. From the comments on the show, it seemed that people were more concerned about Nari going with someone whose fans almost killed her rather than than the fact that the two shared a huge .
Nari knew it would take time, but she hoped for the best. As long as sasaeng fans didn’t come out of the blue and attack her, she felt as though she could handle almost anything. Her contract with YG was just renewed and the girls were standing with her during this time. Nari tried to get herself to focus on the music and treat the news as an after-thought. She hoped that people would support her once they saw how happy she and JooHyuk were in public. Maybe if they proved that they were strong together, fans and the general public would support them and allow them to be happy.