Chpt 34

A Reason to Stay

Two years later.

The girls sat in the CEO’s office, signing their renewed contracts. The past coiple years flew by and the girls were eager to continue being part of the YG family. They had received offers from other companies but decided that they felt more comfortable at YG.
As the girls headed down to the cafeteria, they noticed various cameramen hovering over a table. They girls ignored the commotion and headed to get their lunch. 
“Okay, let’s take a break,” the PD said, which allowed the cameramen to lower their devices and take a seat. They sighed heavily, grateful for the break. 
As Nari glanced over, she noticed a familiar sign: the 2D1N sticker. Her heart skipped a beat as she stumbled in the line. She refocused her gaze to the front of her and followed the girls to their table. Her tray was empty and she sat down and stared as the lights above them shimmered off of the silver of the tray.
“Hyung, isn’t that Jung Nari over there?” Nari heard a cameraman say. 
Her body stiffened with fear. She knew it was inevitable, but she turned around to look at the man who asked. However, rather than meeting his eyes, she was captivated by JooHyuk’s eyes. He stared at her blankly. He, too, seemed shocked and nervous. The two continued to look at each other across the room until Meri tapped Nari’s back and caused her to return to the group. 
Before long, Nari heard the familiar pattern of footsteps coming towards them. She stayed still as she noticed a pair of red sneakers with white lacings in her peripheral vision. She was dreading this moment for the past two years. She did not think she would see him again, especially in this setting. 
“Nari-ah?” he asked as he dragged a chair from another table to join the girls. Nari looked up and met his eyes straight on. 
Rather than stare at her blankly, he smile warmly. Nari’s heart fell; that was the smile that she tried so hard to erase from her mind. She stared as his cheekbones became highlighted by the upward curve of his lips. She stared at him so long, she did not realize that he was moving towards her. The cameramen and the other crew members made their way out of the cafeteria. Now, it was just a normal eatery with a visitor. Other YG members began dispersing and before long, YongKi were alone in the area. 
Still not moving her gaze, Nari wondered what to say. However, her thoughts were interrupted when JooHyuk lifted his hand to her cheek. He lifted her head and continued smiling at her. 
Before she knew it, Nari touched his hand and, rather than pull him away, she clung to his hand, trying to gather his warmth. 
When the other YongKi members got up to leave, Nari looked at them, finally breaking away from JooHyuk’s gaze. She wanted to leave with them, but the desire to stay with JooHyuk was greater.
She had always told herself that if she were to see him again, she would greet him and leave, but now that it was actually happening, she found herself unable to pull away. 
“Nari-ah,” JooHyuk said, pulling his hand away from her. “I finally get to see you in person after two years.”
Nari nodded. 
“Have you had lunch yet?”
“Shouldn’t you get back to shooting?” Nari asked, not wanting to seem too friendly. 
“It seems like they’re giving me some time to chat with you.”
Suddenly, Nari was overcome with guilt. She felt so guilty for having avoided him, but she also felt as though she shouldn’t give him the wrong impression. 
“I think you should get back,” she said abruptly, raising from her seat.
JooHyuk looked stung, confused by her sudden change. 
“Nari-ah, would you like to have lunch with me tomorrow?” he asked, searching for hope.
Nari looked at him and said bluntly, “I don’t think that’s a good idea.” 
Before turning around, she said, “I hope you have a good shoot today. Make sure to get some rest tomorrow and eat some good food.”
JooHyuk tried to pull her back into the conversation but he ended up staring at her back as she walked away from him. He fought the urge to run after her, but he failed miserably. 
Nari heard the rush of footsteps behind her but kept her gaze forward. 
JooHyuk hurried towards her and placed his arms around her shoulders from the back. Nari stopped dead in her tracks. She felt the rush of heat from him and felt his increased heart beat against her back. Instinctively, she leaned into him and felt his breath against her ear. 
“Don’t do this again, please,” he pleaded. Nari closed her eyes, trying to ignore the desperation in his voice. 
JooHyuk moved his arms from around her shoulders and began hugging her properly from the back, with his arms now around her waist. Nari noticed but made no movement to stop him. He bent lower so that his head rested in the crook of her neck. Nari instinctively covered his hand with hers and remained leaning against him. 
There was no one else in the cafeteria and even the serving ladies realized that they needed some privacy and retreated to the kitchens, out of sight. 
JooHyuk lifted his head slightly and pressed his lips gently against her neck. He continued giving her pecks from the top of her neck to the top of her shoulders. Nari sighed heavily and opened her eyes. She managed to loosen JooHyuk’s grip around her enough to allow her to turn to face him. Once she was facing him, she looked up at him and pulled him down to her level. He allowed her to control him and soon found his lips touching hers gently. Nari placed her right hand on his neck and felt the tiny hairs at the base of his neck. She pulled him stronger and the kiss got more passionate. As their breathing got heavier, JooHyuk lead Nari over to a table and sat her down on the table, not breaking their physical touch. Nari sat comfortably and JooHyuk leaned down more. After a short while, Nari pulled away from him and rested her forehead against his, catching her breath. He stared at her, also catching his breath. Nari couldn’t remove her hand from his neck; she was not yet ready to let go. 
“I didn’t realize how much I missed you,” JooHyuk whispered.
Nari chuckled to herself, and responded, “Neither did I.”
Another pair of footsteps entered the room and Nari pushed JooHyuk away from her gently. A cameramen entered and said, “Hyung, they’re asking for you outside.”
JooHyuk nodded and waved him away. 
“I told you, you should’ve gone back to the shoot,” Nari said, teasingly.
“Yeah, but then this would never have happened.”
Nari got off of the table and looked at him seriously. “Oppa, I don’t know if we can keep doing this.”
He nodded and said, “You’re right, but I feel like I need you.”
Nari’s looked down and said, “I’m just scared.”
He took a step closer and took her head in his hands. Kissing her forehead, he whispered, “I know.”
Then, he pulled away and headed out of the cafeteria. This time, it was Nari’s turn to watch his back as he walked away from her. She wanted to stop him, but was afraid that she would regret it afterwards. 
Once he was gone, Nari left the room and headed towards the studio, where her friends waited to practice the dance for their comeback song. Her mood had depleted and she was not ready to dance for hours, but she knew that she had to, even if it meant forcing herself.