Chpt 17

A Reason to Stay

There are just some things that can’t be helped. Nari never believed more in this statement as she did that day, as she sat in the CEO of FNC’s office, staring at the papers strewn across the coffee table.

“Would you like to explain this, Nari?” the CEO asked her, glaring from her to the pages.

Nari was speechless as she stared at the pages, which contained drafts of articles regarding the night the YongKi members went to a club. There were pictures of the girls dancing provocatively with club go-ers and drinking large amounts of alcohol, ending with a shot of them outside of the club, looking as though they were falling asleep on themselves in the cold. Nari was also captured in the photos, but for a different reason. Whoever managed to capture the drunk girls also stayed around to see her intimate moment with JooHyuk on the streets.

Although these articles were mere drafts, that were sent to the agency as a threat, Nari felt a wave of disappointment and distraught overcome her. She knew that it wouldn’t be easy to exist in this industry, since the press in Korea had a tendency to play dirty, even if they had no motivation to do so.

“Sir, I can assure you that these images are purely innocent and have no basis,” Nari said, not daring to look into the CEO’s eyes. She couldn’t take her eyes away from the headlines, especially the one with her and JooHyuk, that was entitled, “Young Idol Manages to Seduce Mature Actor.”

Whoever wrote this article definitely made it to get major reviews. She was appalled at how the writer managed to demean her and her image with a few words.

“Sir, have these been published yet?” Nari asked, trying to get a handle on the situation.

“No, fortunately they have not,” the CEO spat back at her. Nari could tell he was regretting signing them. When Nari failed to offer anything to the conversation, the CEO waved her off, to get out of his office for now. “You leave now and lay low. I’ll take care of this.”

Nari bowed to him before she left and moved to the door. When she opened the office door, she heard the CEO mumble, “I knew I should never have signed those outsiders.”

Nari silently closed the door and headed straight for the elevator.

“Oh! Jung Nari!”

Nari turned towards the voice and saw JongHyun approaching her, smiling widely. Nari bowed in greeting ,but couldn’t manage to fake a smile. The elevator doors opened and she walked in. JongHyun reached her just as the door closed. He grew concerned; it wasn’t like her to walk off, especially looking so sullen. He was on his way to see the CEO, who had previously called him, but when he saw Nari, he suddenly knew he wasn’t called by accident. His gut instinct told him that something serious had happened and, if it could hurt Nari, he would do his best to save her from that hurt.

 

JongHyun entered the office after knocking and greeted the CEO, smiling politely. Han SeongHo always like JongHyun the best out of the CNBLUE group, so these visits no longer made him nervous.

“Ah, JongHyun-ah,” the CEO greeted him.

The first thing JongHyun noticed was the mess of papers on the coffee table. When he moved closer, he realized they were photos of YongKi near a club.

“Yes, I called you here because of these threats.”

Just as JongHyun sensed, the CEO did want his help with something regarding Nari. However, when he saw the picture of her and JooHyuk-hyung, his heart raced with a mix of jealousy and anger.

“As you can tell, these images can be very harmful towards the success of YongKi in Korea.

JongHyun understood and resigned himself to the idea of helping Nari and her friends as best as he possibly could. “Tell me what you need me to do, and I will follow.”

This is why the CEO like JongHyun; when the time came, he was willing to do whatever it took to get the job done.

“This is what I need you to do,” the CEO began.

Together, they worked out a plan, that was sure to work. The main thing for FNC was to remain strong and successful in the industry. There was no way the CEO would let one group take the entire company down. He had worked far too long for that to happen.