Chpt 10

A Reason to Stay

After dinner, Nari suggested that she leave for the night. She was tired from the constant repetition of the same solo, so she wanted to take a break. JongHyun agreed and offered to drive her home.
Before she could give him a response, JooHyuk spoke up. “That’s alright. I have my car, she can leave with me.”
Nari felt the tension again and suggested, “I think I’ll just walk home. It’s not too far and I could really use some fresh air.”
The men looked at her, both disagreeing with her idea. 
“Let me drop you, as an apology for keeping you back so long,” JongHyun offered. Nari liked that he still felt sorry to her. Thinking about it, she didn’t really mind getting a drop home from him. 
She turned to JooHyuk. “Sorry, oppa, but I think I’ll let JongHyun drop me home today. Thanks for dinner.”
JongHyun smirked teasingly at his hyung, while JooHyuk wondered why JongHyun was sorry to Nari. He was still unaware of what had transpired between the two of them last week, so he let it go. 
The three of them went to the basement and JongHyun opened the door for Nari to sit. However, before she sat, JooHyuk turned Nari towards him and hugged her tightly, 
JongHyun looked on, glaring at JooHyuk. When he released her, Nari looked up to meet JooHyuk’s eyes. Then, JooHyuk did something surprising to everyone present. He cupped Nari’s face in his  hands and kissed her forehead, deeper than he had the previous night. Nari blushed deeply, not wanting the moment to end. 
JongHyun looked on, mortified. He knew that JooHyuk was marking Nari as his territory. He knew that getting close to Nari was going to be a challenge, but if she was the prize at the end, he had to play. 


When JooHyuk let her go and began walking away, Nari stared after him, longing for him to come back and carry her over to his car. After he was out of sight, Nari got into JongHyun’s car and the two headed onto the streets of Seoul. Nari was distracted the entire way home, constantly reflecting on the two forehead kisses she now received from JooHyuk. She wondered what they meant. Had JooHyuk formed romantic feelings for her? No, she told herself. There was no way that someone so much older that her could form strong feelings for her in such a short span of time. However, it had worked with her dad and Mary, so why couldn’t it work with her and JooHyuk? No, she pushed the thoughts from her mind and focused on the road ahead. She glanced at JongHyun, who also seemed deep in thought. He witnessed the kiss, so what could he be thinking? Nari chose to ignore him as well, just for the time being.

They arrived at her apartment building and before Nari could emerge from the car, JongHyun spoke. 
“Nari-ah, one of the worst things you can do in this industry, is get involved in a scandal.”
Nari understood his warning and nodded. 
“I mean it. If you must, at least let it be with someone around your age.”
“Thanks, JongHyun-ssi.”
“Please, let’s be more informal with each other.”
“Okay. Thank you for the ride, JongHyun oppa.” She smiled slightly, as she felt uncomfortable calling him that. Just earlier that day, the two of them were tense and now he wanted her to drop honorifics. He really was hard to figure out. 
When Nari left, JongHyun drove off, smiling. “JongHyun oppa, JongHyun oppa,” he recited, imitating her voice. He loved how his name sounded in her voice. It was sweet and cute, and made him want to hear it as often as possible.