Chpt 24

A Reason to Stay

The following day, the doctors agreed that Nari was well enough to be treated at home. With this announcement, her fellow YongKi members packed up her belongings and carried her carefully out of the hospital. The CEO of FNC was notified and he asked if she was well enough to come in for a meeting, to which she agreed reluctantly. Although Nari was feeling physically better, she had no idea what had happened the past few months, which made her hesitant to have a meeting with the CEO.
Once in FNC, the CEO welcomed her and led her to a cushioned seat. As the other girls followed, the CEO laid out various papers that were filled with graphs and numbers, all too confusing for Nari to take in at the moment. 
“I have been informed of your memory loss, Nari-ah. So, let me brief you on YongKi’s activity as of recent.” The CEO gestured to the various documents and continued his explanation. “These graphs show YongKi’s success from their comeback album this October. As you can see, the response has been amazing and the album sales have improved from your previous album. Also, YongKi has been in high demand to guest in shows like ‘Hello Counselor’, ‘Running Man’, ‘Happy Together’ and, there have been a few directors who have sent us scripts for their upcoming dramas, asking for your involvement.”
Nari, and her friends, stared at the documents, confirming what the CEO was saying. They smiled widely, letting him know how content they were with their progress.
“Even the scandal issue has been welcomed by most of the fans, and-,”
“What scandal article?” Nari asked, interrupting the CEO.
He looked down, debating if he should explain it to her. 
“Unnie,” Meri said, trying to offer an explanation. “The company released an article about your ‘relationship’ with JongHyun-oppa.”
“Wait, what kind of relationship do I have with him?”
“Well, it wasn’t a true article,” Momo intercepted. “It was used to cover up information about you and -.”
Laura nudged Momo in the stomach with her elbow. The tension grew among the girls.
Growing more frustrated, Nari asked, demandingly, “What is going on? Someone, anyone, tell me right now!”
After her outburst, the girls explained what had happened to her, including mentioning how JongHyun was the mastermind behind the article, due to his personal purposes. When they were done, Nari thought back to her conversation with the both men in the hospital. She now realized that JooHyuk was trying to remind her of how close they once were but when JongHyun entered, why was he so serious about his feelings towards her? Was he sincere? Why hadn’t JooHyuk said anything instead of just leaving? 
Apart from all these burning questions, one was at the forefront of her mind: Who did she seek out; the love that her mind no longer remembered or the developing affection that her heart was now forming for JongHyun?


As the girls left the CEO’s office, Nari’s phone rang. Since Meri had her phone, as Nari had to lead herself with crutched, Meri answered the call. 
“Oh!, JooHyuk-oppa! It’s Meri; Nari is walking on crutches now so she can’t answer the phone.”
Meri nodded and said goodbye after a short while. “
“JooHyuk-oppa said that he will meet us at our apartment, and he’s bringing food!” Meri announces, causing the other members to smile at the mention of food. 
“Meri-ah, why does JooHyuk-ssi know where we live?” Nari asked.
This time, Laura answered. “That time when the picture of us was taken on the street, he drove us home, so he knows the address.”
Nari nodded and accepted that explanation. 
“Oh, and you used to call him ‘JooHyuk-oppa’. Just letting you know,” Dani chimed in. 

By the time they reached their apartment door, JooHyuk was sitting in the hallway, bags of boxes of food being his only company. When Nari saw him, she stopped short. However, when JooHyuk noticed her arrival, he stood up and took the crutches from her. Then, he bent down and swung him into his arms, bridal-style. Nari remained silent, feeling the heat grow in her cheeks. Her friends looked on, not shocked at all, as though his actions were to be expected. 
When he carried her inside, he placed her to lay down on the couch in front of the television and rushed back out to bring in the food. 
The girls helped him, carrying the food to the table in front of the television. 
Nari saw that one of the boxes was filled with fried chicken pieces. Suddenly, her head hurt, as she recognized this same setting. It was like deja-vu, except she was injured this time. 
JooHyuk looked at her, and offered her the box of chicken, which she immediately rejected. She grabbed her crutches and headed for the kitchen. When she poured herself a glass of water, she felt a touch on the small of her back. JooHyuk showed up behind her, smiling foolishly. Amazing, Nari thought. Even this seems familiar.  
JooHyuk looked at her but left to return to the food gathering when Nari remained silent.
When Meri joined her in the kitchen to get waters for the group, Nari asked her, “Meri-ah, has this happened before? I mean, JooHyuk being here and all of us eating food in front of the TV?”
Meri looked shocked and nodded her head, confirming Nari’s suspicions. Now, Nari’s head hurt more and she knew she needed to lay down. 
Excusing herself, she walked slowly to her room and shut the door.

As she lay there, in the darkness, she had the slightest feeling that JooHyuk was going to come in and see her before he left. 
A few minutes after, he did just that. However, Nari decided to confront him before he left. When JooHyuk crouched next to her and kissed her gently on her forehead, Nari’s eyes flew open. She stared at his in the darkness and grasped his hand tightly.
“Oh, Nari-ah, I didn’t know you were awake.” JooHyuk knelt beside her now, concern clouding his face.
“Have you done this before?” Nari asked, trying to gather information for herself.
When JooHyuk nodded in the darkness, Nari’s eyes began to water. Slowly, she sat up and swung her legs over the edge of the bed. JooHyuk remained kneeling and looked up at her. 
“I want to try something, but you can’t say anything after,” Nari told him, sternly.
Again, he nodded and waited for Nari to make a move. 
Slowly, Nari cupped his face in her hands and leaned forward, ignoring the pain in her bandaged ribs. She leaned as far as she could manage and noticed that JooHyuk was raising himself to meet her level. When he was close enough, Nari kissed him gently. When JooHyuk places his hand on her neck, she found herself leaning into the moment, continuing to kiss him, more confidently. JooHyuk raised himself onto the bed so that Nari wouldn’t have to strain herself to lean forward. However, they never broke away during his move. Nari let her hand trail down to his neck, where she felt the tiny hairs at the base of his head.
All of a sudden, a rush of images  flashed in Nari’s mind. She broke away from JooHyuk, pushing him away unintentionally rough. JooHyuk stared at her, trying to gauge her reaction. However, Nari stared down at the bed, deep in thought.
Images of her kissing JooHyuk before flashed by, along with memories of her in the recording studio working with CNBLUE, and then jumping to JongHyun kissing her abruptly during the 2D1N shoot, continuing with the memory of the group of them in the coffee shop, being demeaned by JooHyuk’s Uncle, ending off with the image of bright headlights behind which a car was speeding threateningly towards her. 
When she looked up at JooHyuk, her eyes were stained red, and her face was streaked with silent tears. Instinctively, JooHyuk moved towards her, and pulled her into him, protectively.
“I-I remember, all of it,” she whispered into his shoulder. 
JooHyuk pulled away from her, a smile forming on the corner of his mouth. He touched her cheek and bent to kiss her forehead. 
“I knew you would,” he breathed against her head. 
Nari regained a sense of comfort around him, but she had some lingering thoughts. 
Although she remembered that she was upset with Lee JongHyun, she still felt a longing to see him in her heart. She knew she had JooHyuk, but the pain she experienced when she was insulted by his Uncle still lingered and for some unexplainable reason, she desperately wanted to feel JongHyun’s hand on hers; she wanted to brush his hair out of his eyes; she wanted to stare into his intense, yet caring, eyes.