Chpt 2

A Reason to Stay

That Thursday, Max, YongKi’s manager, collected Nari from their apartment and headed to the basecamp to begin shooting for her very first 2D1N episode. The team arrived at an amusement park in Gyeongju and Nari awed at the amount of vans and cameras that were set up for the show. She knew that these shows required a lot of man-power, but she never imagined it would surround her.

As she left the van, she bumped into someone tall and skinny.

“Yah! Jung Nari!”

Nari immediately recognized that deep voice. She looked up into the deep brown eyes of rockstar Jung JoonYoung. The two of them conversed on and off before YongKi came to SK, after they did a cover video of his debut song, “The Sense of an Ending”. He complimented their hard work and gave them support for the future.

Nari bowed to greet her sunbae. “Hello, JoonYoung oppa.”

He smiled widely, patting her on the shoulder. “Come on, go and meet everyone before we start,” he said, pointing to her left where there was an abundance of cameras and people.

Nari cautiously walked ahead, bowing 90 degrees whenever she saw a crew member or another host’s stylist or manager. They all reciprocated with small bows and some even gave her a “Fighting!” sign, which she greatly appreciated.

As Nari arrived in front of the cameras, in front of the amusement park’s entrance, she saw her future co-hosts. First, she heard the loud laughter from Cha TaeHyun, followed by a heartier burst of laughter from the largest

member, Defconn. To their right stood Mr. Devious himself, Kim JunHo, followed by the decided-fool, Kim Jongmin. Jung JoonYoung took his place next to Defconn. Nari noticed that one member was missing, but that didn’t stop her from introducing herself to those that were present. She walked up to the group and bowed 90 degrees saying, “Hello, sunbaes. I’m Jung Nari from YongKi. Please look upon me kindly.”

The members looked taken aback and JoonYoung chuckled in the background. TaeHyun held out his hand, and Nari graciously accepted the gesture.

“Ah, yes. I heard we were getting a female idol as a host, but I didn’t know it was going to be a newbie,” JunHo said, causing Nari to blush and face the ground.

“Yeah,” chimed in JongMin. “I was hoping for AOA’s Choa or Apink’s Eunji.”

Nari remained silent while she waited for her new Oppas to say something else. Her spirits were depleted and she wanted to turn around and head for the van.

“Oh! Is this the new member?” a manly voice from behind her asked.

“Hyung! You’re finally here.” Defconn said, smiling politely.

Nari turned around, ready to bow again. However, she felt a hand on her left arm restricting her.

“I bet you’ve bowed more than enough for today. Welcome.”

Nari looked up and saw the warm, welcoming face of Kim JooHyuk. He was dressed in jeans and a simple dark blue shirt. She couldn’t deny that he looked more handsome in person. He really did have the face of an actor.

“Thank you. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Nari told him, looking directly into his dark brown eyes. He smiled in response and, still with his hand on her arm, led her to the end, next to JoonYoung. “You can stand next to me for the intro. It’ll be easier that way.”

Nari was grateful for his assistance. When they were in place and PD Yu HoJin motioned for them to start the shoot, JooHyuk dropped his hand and placed his hands behind his back.

When the cameramen gave the cue, Nari smiled brightly while TaeHyun introduced Nari to the viewers. He then asked her to do the dance to YongKi’s debut song in Korea. She moved to the front and danced energetically as the music played. When she finished, the members clapped enthusiastically.

“I had no idea who YongKi were before today,” JunHo mumbled as Nari returned to her spot at the end.

Nari didn’t now how to respond to that so she laughed quietly and nodded politely. Surprisingly, JooHyuk spoke first.

“Well now you know. I heard that they were good but now seeing a member,, Nari is quite beautiful, so it’s not surprising that she’s the leader.”

The members looked shocked that their hyung defended Nari.

“Anyway, we look forward to working with Jung Nari-ssi to make the future episodes more enjoyable for you, our viewers,” TaeHyun went on.