Chpt 35

A Reason to Stay

The next night, the girls returned to their apartment exhausted from the dance practice. The moment they entered, they rushed to their respective bedrooms and flopped onto the beds, eager to get some rest. Nari, however, went and took a shower. After her refreshing shower, she returned to the kitchen and took out two bottles of Soju from the cabinet above the sink. She never did partake in the consumption of alcohol but she did drink whenever she was feeling physically stressed. 
As she finished off one bottle, she uncapped the second. She did not yet feel the buzz she wanted, so she continued. Two bottles in and Nari picked up her phone. Her mind and her heart were not working together as she dialed the all-too-familiar number.
“Yoboseyo?” the voice on the other end of the line answered.
“Oppaaaaaaa,” Nari greeted, slurring her speech.
“Nari-ah? Are you drinking?” 
“Why? What if I am?”
“Yah, where are you right now?” the voice demanded.
“Home,” Nari said as she got up to get another bottle from the cabinet.
When she got back to her phone, the call ended and she uncapped the third bottle. The girls were sound asleep now and remained so when the doorbell rang through the apartment moments later. 
Nari stood up and opened the front door from the security system.
She remained standing, barely. When the door clicked open, Kim JooHyuk rushed through, slamming the door behind him. He hurried over to Nari, who immediately collapsed in him arms. She was still awake when JooHyuk led her over to her room. 
As he laid her down, Nari pulled his arm towards her. 
JooHyuk smiled but tried to pry her away from him. 
“Oppaaaaaaaa,” Nari whined. 
He looked at her until he finally gave in. He removed his jacket and placed it on her desk chair. Then, he took the empty place next to her. As soon as he laid down comfortably, Nari turned to him and placed her hand on his neck, turning his head to face her. Even in the darkness, JooHyuk could make out her features. Nari glided her thumb against his cheekbone as she smiled. 
“Oppa, it’s really you.”
“Of course it’s really me.”
“I didn’t think you’d come when I called.”
“I will always come when you call.”
Nari smiled and moved closer to him. The scent of alcohol was strong on her breath. 
Suddenly, Nari jumped from the bed and made a beeline to her bathroom. JooHyuk heard her throw up in the toilet several times. When she returned to the room, he watched as she took out a bottle of Aspirin from her nightstand and turn towards the kitchen. He listened as she poured herself a tall glass of water and drink the whole glass. He paid close attention to her footsteps as she returned to the room with another full glass of water. She placed the glass on the nightstand and lay back down in the bed. Her movements no longer seemed that of an intoxicated person. 
“Nari-ah, are you okay?”
“Of course. I have a high tolerance. I get tipsy but once I throw up and drink some water, I don’t wake up with a big headache.”
He nodded moved closer towards her. He placed his arm around her waist as she turned her back to him. Nari pulled him closer and placed her hand on top of his. Once he was snuggled up against her, he heard her breathing steady as she drifted off to sleep. Soon after, he gave in to his own exhaustion. 


Nari awoke the next morning, headache-free. She felt a familiar breathing against her back. She lay silently and listened to the rise and fall of his chest against her back, smiling to herself. She recalled the events of the previous night: the phone call, the water and the aspirin. Whenever she drank heavily, she thanked herself the next morning for remembering to take medication. 
Nari felt the desire to use the bathroom, so she moved slowly and quietly off of the bed and out of JooHyuk’s cradle. She headed to the bathroom and, when she emerged, she saw a disheveled JooHyuk laying in her bed, waiting for her to return. Upon seeing her, he smiled warmly. Nari returned the smile and sat at the edge of the bed. Soon enough, JooHyuk shifted so that he was now behind her. He placed his arms around her waist and kissed the back of her neck gently. Nari smiled and placed her hand on top of his. 
Then, there was a knock on her door. Before she could utter a word, Meri poked her head through the crack of the door and gasped audibly. Nari stood up defensively and tried to utter an excuse. However, Meri smiled deviously and left the room. Nari heard her telling the girls outside that Nari had a visitor. 
Deciding to face the music, Nari and JooHyuk stepped out of the room and were greeted with devious and sly looks from the other four members. She knew there was no way to defend herself now. 
However, despite how uncomfortable the mood was, the girls remembered to greet their elder. Rather than return the bow, JooHyuk pulled Nari closer to his side and grinned widely. The girls ‘ooh’-ed and ‘aww’-ed as they watched the couple. 
“Is this going to be a regular thing?” Laura asked, continuing to take advantage of the leader.
“Well, I sure hope so,” JooHyuk said, staring down at Nari warmly.
Although Nari’s mind told her to do the opposite, Nari’s heart caused her to nod, agreeing with JooHyuk. 
“Oh, Oppa,” Momo started, trying to ease the embarrassment. “Why were you in YG two days ago?”
“It was for 2D1N. We needed to recruit an idol for the show.” JooHyuk poured himself and Nari a glass of water.
“Yeah, but you didn’t leave with anyone,” Dani stated.
JooHyuk nodded and said, “Well, I knew that Nari would be there, so I was hoping to see her.”
“So, you just came there to try to see her?” Momo asked.
JooHyuk nodded, blushing, followed by Nari. 
“Alright, alright. Go get ready. We have to head to the studio again today to finalize the dance,” Nari commanded, trying to disperse them. 
The members got the message and left the kitchen, heading to their respective rooms to get ready for the day ahead. 
Nari turned to JooHyuk and said, “Excuse me, but I need to get ready.”
“Go ahead. I’ll be waiting right here when you’re ready.”
Nari smiled at him once more before leaving for her own bathroom.