Chpt 28

A Reason to Stay

The next morning, there was a knock on YongKi’s apartment. When Meri opened the door, Kim JooHyuk stood in the doorway, holding cups of coffee in his arms. As Nari emerged from her room, she was reminded of JongHyun when she saw the coffee cups. However, when she saw JooHyuk, she grew irritated. She had been lacking sleep as thoughts of her future flooded her mind all night, threatening to drown her. 
“Oh, Nari-ah!” JooHyuk exclaimed, smiling brightly as he carried a cup over to her. 
Before accepting it, Nari narrowed her eyes at him and asked, “Are you sure it’s safe for you to be here?”
JooHyuk’s smile vanished instantaneously. He knew she was referring to his sasaeng fan that had attacked her. He was shocked and didn’t know hwo to respond to her. He just kept staring at her, hoping that she would lighten the mood.
When JooHyuk failed to say anything, Nari walked away from him and sat at the dining table, checking her phone. 
“Nari-ah,” JooHyuk whispered as he took the seat next to her. “I don’t know what I can do to make it up to you.”
“Neither do I,” Nari immediately responded. 
JooHyuk let out a sigh, defeated. Nari could sense that he wanted to make her feel comfortable around him again, but the fear that she felt whenever she was outside deterred her from wanted to spend time with him. 
Nari’s phone rang and JooHyuk noticed that JongHyun was the caller. Nari ignored the call and continued to look up news articles on her phone. She felt guilty about avoiding JongHyun but she needed time to process her thoughts logically. 
In order to do that, she needed to get away from everyone as soon as possible and that meant getting rid of JooHyuk first.
“JooHyuk-ssi,” she began, purposely emphasizing the honorifics. “I thank you for the coffee, but I think it’s best if you leave now.”
Sputtering, JooHyuk tried to state his case of why he should stay, but Nari knew what she had to say to get him to leave for good.
Meeting his eye level, Nari’s defiantly stated, “You’re doing more harm than good by coming here.”
JooHyuk was stunned silent. He knew that Nari felt afraid to be with him since the accident and he was constantly scolding himself for what had happened. Without argument, he stood up slowly and said his goodbyes to the other YongKi members, before leaving the apartment. 
As Nari maintained a serious look on her face, the members avoided making conversation with her. They understood her discomfort and fear, but they still kept the happy memories of the two of them at the forefront, hoping that they would reconcile soon. 

That afternoon, there was another visitor. This time, it was Lee JongHyun. Before he could speak to Nari, Laura approached him, bombarding him with questions about MinHyuk.
When Laura was satisfied with the answers, JongHyun joined the group on the couch in front of the television. As the girls were comfortable talking with someone in their age group, they eventually got around to telling him about their prior encounter with the CEO. Once JongHyun realized that that meant that YongKi might have to leave by the end of the year, he looked at Nari, letting the sadness show in his eyes. Nari tried her best to avoid his stares. 
When it got later, the group decided to order-in dinner. As they were telling their order to the employee on the other end of the line, JongHyun realized that Nari had not ordered anything for herself and what seemed stranger to him was that the other girls didn’t expect her to want anything. 
When the food arrived 20 minuted later, the apartments smelled of jjajjangmyun and mandu from the nearby Chinese place. JongHyun dug into his food, eating as though he were starving for the entire week. He glanced in between bites at Nari, who sat still, deep in thought, grasping onto a cup of tea. He watched as her thumbs caressed the top of the cup, moving the tiny droplets of condensation that gathered at the brim. 
When he was halfway through his meal, he offered his food to Nari, trying to get her to escape her thoughts. He succeeded, but only just. Nari turned to look at him, but pushed the bowl of noodles away from her. The other members looked on, disappointed. They knew that JongHyun wouldn’t understand her relationship with food, since they only told JooHyuk, but they hoped he wouldn’t think too much of her actions. 
JongHyun pulled the food back onto his lap, and chuckled her action off, saying, “Well, if you’re going to leave SK anyway, you might as well forget about your diet, right?”
Nari snapped her head up to look at him with wide eyes. Before the leader could say anything, Meri said, “Yeah, you’re right, but Nari still has to be on 2D1N.”
JongHyun nodded, as though just remembering that Nari was a host on that reality show. 
Upon hearing ‘2D1N’, Nari stood up and walked to the kitchen, going to make a call. She had completely forgot that she had a shoot tomorrow morning for the show and since her Manager did not contact her about it, she was in the dark.

After the phone call, everyone had finished their meal and JongHyun made a move to leave the apartment. Nari felt guilty about how she treated him, and decided to try to alleviate the tension between them.
When he was at the door, Nari stopped him and hugged him, placing her arms around his neck. He instantly responded by leaning toward her, placing his own arms around her center,pulling her towards him. 
“Thank you for coming,” she whispered against his neck. She felt him nod slightly against her. 
Once he left, the girls began to prepare for bed. Nari called her Manager and informed him of her schedule the next morning so that he would pick her up on time. She missed shooting for 2D1N and went to bed that night, eager to see her fellow hosts once again.