Chpt 22

A Reason to Stay

By the time another Producer tapped Nari on her shoulder, Seoul’s night life was thriving. She checked her phone and noticed that she had managed to avoid several calls from JooHyuk, JongHyun and the other YongKi members. The time glowed ‘9:22 pm’. 
From the chatter of other Producers and singing Idols, the crowd of girls at the front of the FNC building had dispersed. Nari thought she had avoided her friends and colleagues long enough, so she gathered her belongings and headed towards the front of the building.
Once outside, the smell of tteobbeokki and mandu clouded the streets, tempting Nari. As the walked through the streets, greeting people who recognized her every now and then, Nari had the strange sensation that she was being followed. The thought passed her mind that if someone was following her, it was probably JongHyun or JooHyuk, so she brushed off the feeling as best as she could. Thinking that her roommates would forgive her easier if she brought home food for them, Nari crossed the street, heading towards a night-cart, where a few working men sat sipping glasses of “SoMik”(beer mixed with Soju). However, as she crossed the street, the screeching of tires echoed off the buildings and Nari’s eyes widened with fear as bright headlights aimed straight for her. 
Before she knew it, he body made contact with the vehicle, lifting her off the road to land a few feet away. The last thing Nari recalled was the scent of blood in the night air and the shouts of women mixed with the hollering of men as their footsteps pounded the pavement.

~~~


“Unnie-Uninie!” 
“Jung Nari!”
“Jung Nari-ssi? Are you coming through?” 
The first thing Nari realized was the bright lights that surrounded the numerous faces that stared down at her with worry and concern. She mnaged to make out most of the faces; she saw her fellow YongKi members, along with her older sister to her right.
Then, the pain rushed through her body. It shot up from her right leg, and vibrated throughout her rib cage, ending with the right side of her head experiencing the worst migraine she ever had. 
The crowd around her separated as a mature woman, dressed in a white coat approached Nari with a clipboard. The doctor, as Nari had assumed, bent towards her, inspecting her eyes quickly but efficiently. 
“Jung Nari-ssi? How are you feeling?” the doctor asked, her eyes fixated on Nari, judging her ever movement. 
Nari tried to nod an okay, but her super-migraine restricted her. Instead, she whispered, “I’m fine, but in a lot of pain.”
The doctor nodded and moved to the side of the bed, moving a contraption to make the bed lift. 
Now that Nari saw her surroundings better, she asked, “Where exactly am I?” 
The doctor looked into her eyes and responded, “You’re in a hospital. You were brought in because of a vehicular accident. Do you recall it at all?” 
“No, but, was anyone else hurt?” Nari asked, which brought Meri and Dani to chuckle slightly.
“Nope, just you, Unnie,” Momo told her.
“Nari-ssi, what’s the last thing you remember?” the doctor inquired. 
Nari thought on it for a while, and said, “The last thing I remember was that I was on my way to FNC to meet with the CEO about some reality show casting.”
The others in the room glances around, their mouths hanging slighly opened with shock. “Was that when the accident happened?”
The YongKi members shook their heads.
Nari’s eyes narrowed, growing increasingly confused. 
Suddenly, the door opened behind the doctor and two police officers entered; one led the way, remarkably older than the one who followed, who seemed to be a rookie. The two men greeted the women in the room and made their way over to Nari’s bedside. 
“Jung Nari-ssi?” the elder Officer said first. “We’re from Seoul Police Department. We have some information on your accident. But, first, is there anything you would like to ask us?”
Nari smiled gently as she asked, “Yes, where did it happen exactly?” 
“The accident occurred a few blocks down from the FNC building. We believe that the attacker followed you from there and ran into you as you crossed the street.” This time, the rookie Officer answered.
“Wait, so I was hit in the street? I thought I was in a car or something,” Nari answered. The Officers glanced at the others in the room, looking for an explanation for Nari’s confusion.
Finally, the doctor answered. “Jung Nari seems to be suffering from short-term memory loss. I believe this was due to the impact from the accident, as she had a wound on her right temple. She seems to have forgotten the last few months, from September.”
Finally, that explained the extreme migraine. 
The Officers nodded and the elder pulled out a photograph from his jacket pocket. He showed it to Nari and asked, “Do you recognize this individual?”
It was a photograph of a woman in her late 30s, smiling brightly with an arm around her shoulders. Nari shook her head. 
The pain from her head began to subside slowly, but at least she could manage to move her head.
“This woman,” the elder Officer began to explain. “She’s the one who hit you with her car. We found her quickly, thanks to the many witnesses that were around at that time. When we located her, we discovered that she is a sasaeng fan of Kim JooHyuk-ssi.”
“But, why would Kim JooHyuk’s fan be following me?” Nari asked, blatantly unaware of the past few months’ occurrences. 
“Well, she seems to have been concerned about how close you and Kim JooHyuk-ssi have gotten,” the rookie Officer said. 
“Close? Why would we…” Nari began, but she was stopped short by her sister.
“Shouldn’t Nari try to recover her memories on her own?” 
The doctor agreed and with that, the Officers left, letting Nari know that the woman was charged and justice will be served momentarily. 
Although Nari was relieved to know that her attacker was located and arrested, her loss of memories concerned her even more. 
Her sister left shortly after that, heading to work and the girls left the room, going to contact their Manager and other acquaintances who were concerned, including the CEO.
Once Nari was alone, she thought back her last memory but couldn’t seem to manage anything after that. She racked her brain for any sliver of new information, but the doctor added new medication to her, to lessen the body pain.
Nari looked down at her body, realizing why the pain radiated so  much; her right ankle was broken and was now covered by a white cast, while her rib cage was wrapped up, and the doctor had informed her that she had broken two of her right ribs. 
At least, Nari thought, her left side was fine.