Chpt 11

A Reason to Stay

It was now October, and YongKi was scheduled for a comeback album. Nari had been working non-stop with other producers in the studio and went many nights without sleep. She always ensured that the other members got at least 5 hours of sleep, but for herself, she learnt to run on 1 to 2 hours of sleep. 
She walked the halls of FNC, stopping every now and then to greet a sunbae or a Manager. When needed, the other members of YongKi came in to rehearse a song, review a dance or keep Nari company while she worked. 
Nari received encouraging text messages from JooHyuk and JongHyun, but she never met up with them. She pushed the memories of JooHyuk’s kisses from her mind and forgot about JongHyun as it seemed as though they were getting along last time. Now, it was time to prepare for the comeback and make it a successful one. 

“Nari-ah! Are you ready for the new music video to be released tomorrow?” her fellow Producer asked, as Nari was packing to go home for the first time in days.
Nari was excited for the video to be released. She worked tirelessly with the Directors to ensure that the video was perfect. Once everyone was in agreement, Nari left the video crew to add the finishing touches. 
“Yes, Oppa. I hope it’s successful.”
“It will be, don’t worry. Reach home safe.”
Nari waved goodbye and left the building. 

When Nari entered the apartment, silence surrounded her. She called out for her roommates, but no one answered. She took out her phone from her pocket and dialed Meri’s number.
“Meri-yah, where is everyone?” Nari asked as soon as the call connected.
“Oh, Unnie!” Meri slurred. There was noise in the background, EDM, Nari suspected. “We’re having fun! Where are you?”
“Im home. Are you all at a club right now?” It was an unspoken rule that idols weren’t supposed to put themselves into any situations that could be manipulated by the press. 
“Yeah, we’re at ** club!”
With the name of the club, Nari headed out to get her friends. Clubs in Korea could get rowdy and judging from how intoxicated Meri sounded, Nari grew more concerned. 

Nari heard the music before she rounded the corner. When she arrived at the entrance, she smiled at the guard, who allowed her entrance. Once inside, the stench of sweat engulfed her and she had to squint to make her way through the crowd as the neon lights flashed in front of her. The ground was sticky, with spilled drinks. Nari detested this kind of environment the most. Everything about it was unappealing. 
She got fed up quickly and headed for the bar. She climbed on top of the countertop of the bar and stood up tall, trying to locate any of her friends in the crowd. 
Finally, she spotted them near the bathrooms. She climbed down carefully and made a beeline towards them. She reached Dani first and grabbed her by the arm. She spotted the other three in front of Dani. Nari was silently grateful that her friends always went to the bathroom together. She gathered them together and pulled them towards the club’s entrance. They tried to fight her, but they were much too intoxicated to make a conscious effort. 

Once outside, Nari knew she couldn’t get them home safe just by walking. So, she made them sit down on a bench a few meters from the club. She looked up a taxi, but then remembered that she forgot her wallet in her rush over here. So, she did the next best thing; she called someone who lived relatively close by. She called JooHyuk first, since he was the oldest and could help her control the situation as best as possible. 
JooHyuk answered on the second ring.
“Nari-ah?” 
“Hello, Oppa. I’m sorry about this, but could you drive down to ** club, right now?” Nari asked, full aware of how strange this call must be for him.
“Oh, sure. I’ll be right there.”
Once he hung up, Nari looked towards her friends, full of disappointment. At least they were staying together. Passersby glanced at the group and began mumbling. Nari let them be, but whenever anyone attempted to take a picture of them, she politely asked them to move along. 
Within a few minutes, JooHyuk pulled up next to them. He rushed out and, before Nari could explain the situation to him, he pulled Nari close to him. 
“Are you okay?” he asked hurriedly, against her ear. 
Nari nodded and pulled him closer, desperate for some warmth in the cold night. She didn’t know she had been shivering this whole time;  her mind was only focused on protecting her members. 
JooHyuk tried to pull away, but Nari clasped his shirt under his jacket.
“Thank you for coming so soon,” she whispered. She finally let go and gestured towards her friends. “They’re the reason I needed you tonight.”
Just by looking, JooHyuk understood and together, they managed to move the girls into his car.