Ashes

Playing With Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How do you want me to address you, Miss Park?"

 

"You can just call me Chorong."

 

"How about Chorong unnie?"

 

"Unnie?" Chorong raised her eyebrow. "How old are you?"

 

"Age is a sensitive issue, unnie," Bomi quipped. "I'm just two years younger than you."

 

"What else is on the net other than my name and age?"

 

"Do you never google yourself?"

 

"I'm too busy to do redundant things like that."

 

"Of course." Bomi chuckled. "A CEO must have a lot on her plate."

 

Chorong sighed. "Yeah. Sometimes I just wish my dad didn't pass the company to me this early."

 

"Your dad has retired?"

 

"Yeah. He's always going on holidays with my mom. While I'm stuck in the office, carrying out my responsibilities."

 

"Don't you ever have a break?"

 

"I'm actually a workaholic," Chorong admitted shyly. "Enough about me. What about you Bomi? What do you work as?"

 

"I'm a freelance investment broker."

 

"Now I know where that money-grubber got her idea from," Chorong laughed.

 

"She told you she's a freelance investment broker?"

 

"Nope." Chorong shook her head. "She told someone else that she's been one since 5 years ago."

 

Bomi chortled. "I wonder how her brain works. She's so free-spirited though, and I'm envious of that."

 

"Yeah. She lives such a free life," Chorong sighed. She stared at the view of the sprawling concrete mass of high-rise buildings with twinkling lights cutting through the starless sky. "I'm pretty sure she's actually a genius since she's an expert at conning people."

 

With a small laugh, Bomi replied, "Ah, it's always this playful kind of people who end up being the smartest lot isn't it?" It was more like a statement than a question. "Anyway, enough about our silly mutual friend. Let's get down to serious business." There was a pause in the conversation, before Bomi continued, "How many times have you fallen in love, unnie?"

 

"What a question to ask."

 

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me. I'll still tell you mine. Wanna know?"

 

"If you're willing, then sure."

 

"I've fallen in love only once."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah. You're the first person I've fallen in love with," Bomi confessed with a serious expression.

 

Chorong was taken aback but quickly recovered from her surprise. "Liar."

 

"I was just playing around, unnie. Is that disappointment I see?" Bomi teased, wiggling her brows as she noticed the disappointed look on the older girl's face.

 

"Disappointment?" Chorong scoffed. "Not ever! We just met anyway."

 

"Yeah, of course we just did. Should we meet again unnie? Would you want that?"

 

"W-well, if y-you w-want to," Chorong stuttered, like how her heart was stammering at the same time.

 

Chorong was so adorable that Bomi wanted to squeal and keep the older girl in her pocket.

 

"I'll drop by your office when I'm free."

 

"We're not going to exchange numbers?"

 

"Someone's getting a bit impatient here," Bomi joked.

 

"I'm not!" Chorong responded defensively, her cheeks infused with colour.

 

Is she embarrassed? Bomi thought to herself.

 

"I didn't say that someone was you unnie." Bomi was absolutely enjoying Chorong's cute reactions.

 

"St-stop teasing me," Chorong pouted.

 

"Okay I won't anymore, Chorongie unnie."

 

"Chorongie?"

 

"Yeah, I'm going to start calling you that. You don't like it?"

 

"I do," Chorong replied, her cheeks turning a tint of pink. "A lot."

 

Bomi lifted her hand and absently Chorong's hair behind the latter's ear, her fingertips gently sweeping beneath the older girl's ear lobe.

 

Chorong shuddered as an arrow of heat shot through her body. "Wh-what are you d-doing?"

 

"Sorry, my hand seems to have a mind of its own. Did that bother you?"

 

"N-no," Chorong mumbled, looking to the ground as she didn't want to let Bomi witness her flushed face.

 

The sound of Bomi’s phone tore through the air, disrupting the pair’s quiet time. Bomi reached for her phone in her clutch and saw Namjoo’s name on the caller I.D.

 

"Unnie where are you?"

 

"You finally remember you actually brought me along huh? After like what, 10 years?"

 

"Stop exaggerating unnie. I've been searching for you but I can't find you anywhere here."

 

"I'm up at the rooftop."

 

"Alone?"

 

"No."

 

"With someone?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Who?"

 

"None of your business. Are you done talking?"

 

"Yes. Are you coming down?"

 

"Yeah, I'll be there in a jiffy."

 

After ending the call, Bomi turned to Chorong with an apologetic look.

 

"I’m so sorry unnie,but my cousin's looking for me. Wanna go down now?"

 

Chorong gave a small smile, masking her disappointment. "It’s alright. I'm actually going to head home. So I'll be going to the carpark."

 

"You drove here?"

 

"Yes...? Why?"

 

"I just thought you would have your own chauffeur."

 

"I'm an independent lady."

 

At that, Bomi laughed. “Seems like you are.”

 

“Hey, is that sarcasm I sense?”

 

Bomi shook her head. “Of course not unnie.” She smiled a genuine one and grasped Chorong’s wrist. “Let’s go?”

 

“Oh.” That was the only thing Chorong could say since her entire attention was on the physical contact that Bomi had initiated. As they walked together, Chorong’s eyes never tore away from the warm hand that was wrapped around her wrist.

 

Bomi eventually released her grasp, placing both hands by her sides after pressing on the lift button. While waiting for the lift, she faced Chorong again and said, "Unnie, did you know? If you make a wish while holding your breath all the way until we reach the first floor, it will come true.”

 

Chorong looked at Bomi skeptically. "Really?"

 

"Well, you can choose not to believe me."

 

The two entered the lift. Bomi pressed the ground floor button and shot a glance at Chorong who seemed to be in a deep thought. She shrugged and stared at the numbers that were descending on the tiny screen at the top right of the lift.

 

Bomi looked at Chorong once more. The older girl seemed so tensed. "Are you holding your breath?" Bomi asked in amusement.

 

Chorong shook her head vehemently, before accidentally releasing a loud, heavy breath.

 

"Unnie! I was just kidding!" Bomi broke into a fit of laughter. “I got that from a drama that I recently watched!”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter