Oscar

Playing With Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dinner and Seung Won's birthday celebration went on smoothly. Su Jin had prepared a spread of scrumptious Korean dishes. Bomi was bowled over by such gastronomical experience. After dinner, they sang a birthday song for Seung Won, even though he was adamant about it.

 

"I'm too old for that," he said.

 

Bomi apologised to him for not getting him a present. She wasn't sure what to get him since a rich man practically has everything. Thus, she decided to grant him a wish, although deep down she wanted to hit herself for coming up with such a stupid, intangible idea for a gift.

 

In contrast to what she believed, Seung Won was actually delighted, claiming her gift was a 'breath of fresh air'. So, he told her that he would like to go fishing with her.

 

"Sure," was her firm and excited response, but she was truthfully feeling dreadful.





 

"This is your dad's library?" Bomi asked as she gawked at the bookshelves towering over her.

 

Chorong nodded as she ran a hand along a section of the bookshelf. "There isn't a lot of variety though. My dad's only fond of certain genres."

 

"I see a lot of quotes by authors on the wall. Does your dad love English literature?"

 

"He is a huge fan of George Orwell and Oscar Wilde."

 

"Yeah, I noticed him reading 1984 before putting that book away to talk to me," Bomi replied in a small voice.

 

"I'm sorry if he scared you."

 

"I'm scared to think of how it'll go when I go fishing with him soon."

 

"Has he set a date yet?"

 

"Nope. But I hope it isn't next week because that's too fast," Bomi shuddered at the thought of fishing with Seung Won. "I regret not getting him a present.”

 

"Does my dad scare you that much?" Chorong asked in amusement.

 

"You're daddy's daughter, of course I wouldn't want to mess with you," Bomi said lightheartedly. "Oh, the things I do to impress my future father in-law."

 

Chorong's cheeks turned a reddish hue upon hearing those words carelessly slipping out from Bomi's mouth. She didn't respond and continued watching the brunette reading the quotes on the wall intently.

 

There was one quote in particular that caught the younger girl's attention. It was on the ceiling, and written over a painting of a star.

 

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars," Bomi read aloud.

 

Chorong smiled and gave the brunette a slight nudge. "You like the quote?"

 

"Why is it the only one on the ceiling?"

 

"It's my favourite quote, so my dad decided to put it up there."

 

"You like Oscar Wilde too?"

 

Chorong shook her head. "I don't. I just happened to come across that quote while searching for motivational quotes online."

 

"Ah, I see."

 

"Follow me, I want to show you another room."

 

Chorong led Bomi into a room which was just adjacent to the library. The room was pitch black, and when she switched on the lights, Bomi gasped in shock.

 

Contrary to the inviting vibe which she felt when she first stepped into the house, the room she was in just screams terror.

 

"Why are there so many scary things here?" Bomi asked, grasping onto Chorong's wrist tightly.

 

The room was filled with several preserved reptiles kept in specimen jars of varying sizes arranged neatly on the shelves. Cold sweat trickled down Bomi's back as she followed the older girl around the room. She silently wondered if the snakes and crocodiles would come alive if any jars were to ever break.

 

"Bbom-ah, you're gripping too tightly."

 

"Sorry," Bomi responded apologetically. The door made a creaking sound, causing the younger girl to jolt in surprise. "Unnie, why are you bringing me here?"

 

"I thought you would like it."

 

"I don't," Bomi pleaded in a whisper. "Can we get out now? The aura in here isn't good."

 

"Okay, let's go out," Chorong chuckled.

 

They exited out of the room and Bomi heaved a huge sigh of relief. It felt as if she had just gotten out of a haunted house.

 

"Whose room does that belong to?"

 

"My dad's! He's a big fan of reptiles so he turned the room into a reptile museum, sort of. We used to have a mini reptile farm in our garden."

 

Bomi's mouth formed a silent 'O' shape in horror. "Isn't that dangerous!"

 

"Well, I used to feed the crocodiles and snakes when I was younger. And look at me now. I'm still alive aren't I?"

 

"That's just scary."

 

"I thought you're fearless," Chorong teased.

 

Bomi gave a sheepish smile. "Just on the outside."

 

Chorong let out a small laugh. "Wanna go to my room now?"

 

"Will your parents be okay with that?"

 

"Of course. I'm a grown adult, Bbom-ah."

 

Bomi scratched the back of her head and laughed in embarrassment at her silly question. "Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Come to think of it, why did you deny being 30?"

 

"I prefer to follow the international age. Being 30 and unmarried is depressing to picture."

 

"It won't be once you're married to me," Bomi grinned, earning a light slap on her shoulder from Chorong.

 

"Stop saying things like that."

 

"But you love it, Chorongie unnie."





 

Chorong's room was as huge as Bomi's apartment. The walls were pink, with several frames of her photos hung onto them. But what caught the brunette's attention next made her laugh really hard. It was the two stools in the shape of chicken feet situated at the right corner of the room. Clearly, Chorong's love for chicken feet runs deep.

 

The toilet was the size of Bomi's room- it was so spacious that Bomi could put a king size bed in there. There was also a mini jacuzzi pool which took up a quarter of the toilet space.

 

All in all, Chorong's room left Bomi awestruck.

 

Perks of being born with a silver spoon in one's mouth.

 

"Your room is just... Wow," Bomi remarked with a tinge of envy. If only she could be half as rich.

 

"Thanks," Chorong giggled shyly. She sat on her king sized bed and hugged her pillow. Motioning Bomi to sit on the bed as well, the brunette came and settled comfortably next to her.

 

"Your bed is so soft, and big. Isn't it boring to sleep all by yourself?"

 

"Yeah it is," Chorong sighed as she laid down. "I occupy less than half the space so this bed is underutilized."

 

"Marry me to fully utilize it then," Bomi replied suggestively with a coquettish smile.

 

Chorong smacked Bomi with her pillow. "Stop doing that."

 

Noticing the tint of pink on Chorong's cheeks, Bomi laughed. "Stop pretending to be so shy then, unnie."





 

Hours passed as they talked about almost everything and anything under the sun, really. Finally, when the clock struck eleven, Bomi decided it was time to leave. Chorong did ask if she wanted to stay the night, but Bomi had to politely turn her down. As much as the younger girl wanted to spend the night with Chorong, she didn't want to leave Namjoo at home alone.

 

Yes, her baby cousin, Kim Namjoo, is a fully grown adult who's able to take care of herself but Bomi was still worried. Ever since Bomi joined the underworld, she began to be more wary of her surroundings. If she isn't careful,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter