Epilogue

Playing With Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

One year later

 

Hayoung leaned against the door of her night blue metallic Porsche 911. A bouquet of Baby’s Breath flowers was in her hand. A year had passed since the entire fiasco, and she had been leading a normal life, free from vengeance.

 

Apart from resuming her duties as a paralegal, she also undertook a new field of expertise. She had been meddling with stock exchange for the past few months, and had plans to delve deeper into the industry.

 

Her brother, Sehun, passed on three months ago, and she accepted his passing peacefully. Namjoo had kept her company most of the time. On very few occasions, she would hang out with Bomi to fill her spare time.

 

Hayoung checked her newly bought Bvlgari watch. It was five minutes past nine in the evening. Namjoo should be out by then. Hayoung wondered if a patient was holding her back, or perhaps some pesky male trainee doctors were taking up her attention.

 

True to her unpleasant thought, she grunted in displeasure upon witnessing a presumably male apprentice, exiting the hospital with Namjoo. The two then parted ways, and Hayoung watched Namjoo approaching her, like a hawk, holding back the audible grunt on the verge of escaping.

 

“Hey sweetheart,” Namjoo greeted her grump of a fiancee. She held Hayoung’s arm and smiled warmly, melting away the latter’s jealousy.

 

“Is that thing a new apprentice?”

 

Namjoo giggled and pinched the bridge of Hayoung’s nose. “He’s married.” She placed her arms around Hayoung’s neck and continued, “And so will I, in five months’ time.”




 

“JUNG EUNJI!”

 

The screeching voice made the brunette jolt up from her slumber. She scrambled to pick her articles of clothing on the floor and rushed to put them on.

 

Panting as soon as she reached the kitchen, she gave a goofy smile as soon as she saw an angry blonde folding her arms. “Did I do something wrong again?”

 

“No,” Naeun huffed. “The microwave doesn’t work. I told you to have it fixed!”

 

“It slipped my mind,” Eunji laughed nervously as she scratched the back of her head. “But geez, you didn’t have to scream my name like that… unless it’s something promiscuous of course,” she added cheekily.

 

Naeun could only afford to roll her eyes. She was so used to having an annoying wife that she wondered if she had made a mistake marrying Eunji. But of course, it was a harmless thought, she had never once regretted marrying Eunji.

 

“A penny for your thought,” Eunji whispered huskily as she backhugged Naeun.

 

The blonde shuddered, then cracked a smile. “I love you, stupid.”

 

“I love me too,” Eunji giggled. “I love you even more, goddess.”

 

The couple stood in the position for a while, lost in their own world, until Eunji broke the romantic moment with a deep sigh.

 

“What is it?” Naeun asked with curiosity, laced with slight anxiety.

 

Eunji bit her bottom lip, contemplating to continue. “I got a text last night.”

 

Naeun turned around to face her wife. “From NIA?”

 

Eunji nodded, sliding nervous glances.

 

“A new case?”

 

“My supervisor asked me if I would like to come back.”

 

“Are you going to? You took a break far too long.”

 

“You want me to make a return?” Eunji asked carefully as she studied Naeun’s expression. “You quit your job as a police after your last case.”

 

Naeun sighed. “I miss being on the run honestly.”

 

Eunji was slightly taken aback by Naeun’s answer. “You want to return to the force?”

 

“Do you?” Naeun returned the question to her wife.

 

“We will lose our peace.”

 

“We made things work back then.”

 

“We’re married now, Naeunnie,” Eunji pointed out. “If you have to go undercover again, you have to lose your identity. How about your safety? I can’t lose you.”

 

“You’ll lose your identity too if you return to NIA. You’ll have to work undercover once more. Face it Eunji, the two of us have clashed with the underworld. There will be people who recognise us and may even come after us someday.”

 

“Krait’s entire organization has been wiped out.”

 

To this, Naeun looked away. Noting that Naeun was hiding something from her, Eunji probed, “What is it that you’re hesitant to tell me?”

 

“I received an intel that someone is building a new empire,” Naeun confessed.

 

“When did you receive that intel?”

 

“Senior Officer Choi called me to his office the other day. Remember?”

 

“Yes…” Eunji responded, recalling the time Naeun informed her that she would be heading down to the police headquarter to complete the handover list which was long overdue. Eunji had suspicions, but she wasn’t one to pry when it comes to Naeun’s work life. “You don’t have to tell me anything, Naeunnie. If it’s confidential, you know I won’t demand for it.”

 

Naeun slumped her body against the kitchen top and sighed. “Remember Maldives?”

 

Eunji’s lips curled into a smile, seemingly to have understood the choice Naeun had in mind. “Yes, I do.”

 

“When do you have to give an answer?”

 

“He doesn’t give me a deadline when it comes to me making a return to the agency.”

 

“Shall we wait?”

 

The brunette grinned. “Will we end up being like Mr and Mrs Smith?”

 

“Don’t be silly. We’re not going to be like Mr and Mrs Smith. We craft our own story, my stupid wife.”

 

“Shall we make a chapter now?”

 

Naeun lifted an eyebrow. “Chapter?”

 

“I’m feeling a little naughty now,” Eunji said suggestively as she wiggled her eyebrows.

 

“You ually charged beast…” Naeun muttered. She ran a finger along Eunji’s firm arm and brought to the latter’s neck, peppering soft kisses. “GO SHOWER YOU STINK .”

 

“Ugh, I’m deaf now!” The brunette grumbled as she rubbed her right ear which was ringing in pain.




 

Eyes glued to the computer screen, Bomi’s fingers were furiously pressing multiple keys on the keyboard, as she focused on completing her report as a closure to her recent successful mission in raiding a ion house.

 

After taking down Krait’s organization, Bomi and Naeun finally had their positions reinstated.

 

While Naeun made the decision to leave her job in order to settle down and become a stay-at-home wife, Bomi stayed on, and was shortly promoted to the title ‘Senior Officer Yoon’ soon after. She took charge of a team and to date, had successfully accomplished three missions within the year.

 

As her phone started vibrating, her eyes took a glance at the name on the screen. She halted her work, and swiped to take the call. “Yes, Chorongie?”

 

“It’s late,” Chorong grumbled. “I’ve been waiting for you since 9. It’s already midnight. Come back home, workaholic.”

 

Bomi chuckled. “Yes, I’m almost done with my report. Give me half an hour and I’ll be home, alright?”

 

“Fifteen minutes, take it or leave it.”

 

Holding in a sigh, Bomi conceded, “Yes ma’am, I’ll be there in fifteen.”




 

“Bbom-ah, what took you so long to finish your work?” Chorong asked as she twirled the strands of spaghetti around her fork.

 

“I had to finish the report regarding the recent bust on the high profile ion house case. Sorry it took me longer than I promised,” Bomi said apologetically.

 

The two continued eating their late supper in silence. Not being able to stand the painful quietness any longer, Chorong took the initiative to speak. “He’ll be executed tomorrow.”

 

“How’s your mum taking it?” Bomi asked cautiously.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter