Twist

Playing With Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I was not a member of the student council, nor was I a teacher’s pet back in high school, if that’s what you’re thinking,” Namjoo began. The two were at the backyard of Hayoung’s house, lying down on a picnic mat Hayoung had laid out. Namjoo was staring at the little specks of light sprinkled across the night sky, whereas Hayoung was staring at her star. Love really does let one see everything in rose-tinted lenses. “I partied hard, I mean really hard. But I was that lucky student who still managed to ace her examinations. I had a boyfriend. He was a jock, and I guess at that point of time I was just attracted to his notoriety. He’s rich, still is, like how my family is. Perhaps he’s richer, and his dad was definitely more powerful at that point of time. Things happened, we didn’t practice safe , so I got pregnant. His family found out, but not mine. He said he wasn’t ready to be a father. His mother told me to get an abortion. He was with her. And I-” her voice cracked and she stopped briefly to clear . “The entire issue was… hushed because his parents wanted to protect his reputation.”

 

Namjoo sat up, bringing her legs to her chest and placing her chin on her knees. Hayoung followed suit, but let her long legs rest outstretched comfortably. “I’ve been carrying the guilt for the past nine years. The reason why I always visit the paediatric ward and give the children presents is to lessen the guilt.”

 

Hayoung placed an arm around the doctor’s waist, and pulled the latter closer to envelope her in side hug. The paralegal didn’t utter a word, for she believed actions speak louder than words. Sometimes, all one needs is a hug. And that was exactly what she could offer Namjoo. She felt the patch of wetness on her shoulder, and as if on reflex, she tilted her head slightly and swiped a thumb across the corner of Namjoo’s eyes. Namjoo cocked her up, and saw the faint affection in the paralegal’s eyes. Her gaze fell to Hayoung’s lips. It was slightly chapped, and she wondered how many fights the paralegal had been putting up with. And she began to ponder when Hayoung would tell her about the sort of life she had been leading.

 

But all thoughts of hers vanished when she felt a pair of lips over her own. It was so quick that she thought she had imagined things.

 

“Sorry,” Hayoung said apologetically. “I-“

 

“I like you,” Namjoo suddenly confessed.

 

The sudden confession took the paralegal by surprise, but that didn’t stop her from replying with a nervous “I love you.” Despite the tremble in her voice, she got a pleasant present from the doctor- a kiss.

 

Locking the doctor securely in her arms, Hayoung deepened the kiss.

 

 

 

 

 

It was a long night for the two new lovebirds (no, not that kind of activity you think they did). Namjoo was still sleeping soundly, wrapped comfortably under the duvet. Hayoung was wide awake after hearing the light snores from her girlfriend. She found the sight of her girlfriend sleeping peacefully adorable, and placed a quick kiss on the latter’s forehead.

 

After the kiss (which Namjoo broke away from, much to Hayoung’s disappointment, but of course she didn’t let that show), the question ‘Will you be my girlfriend?’ came pretty naturally from the doctor. It surprised Hayoung; the fact that someone else was asking her to be her girlfriend. It felt strange, and all new to her. She hated the idea of being in love, but she was already in love with Namjoo, and it was too late to get out of it. She felt that making an exception for the doctor would be worth it. So her answer was a definite yes.

 

Hayoung told Namjoo everything. Her childhood years. Her parents’ deaths. Her brother’s involvement in the underworld and the accident that caused him to be in a vegetative state for the past few years. She also told the doctor about her personal quest to seek revenge. And her inability to save Joy, and how she had to see her bestfriend killed before her very own eyes. She cried upon recalling the horrific memory, and Namjoo swooped in to comfort the miserable paralegal.

 

And of course, she talked about Bomi. And Naeun. And how she switched sides to join them.

 

“I can’t believe Bomi unnie never told me she’s been working as an undercover agent,” the doctor complained. She was obviously displeased that her cousin had been keeping such a big secret from her. But that would be hypocritical of her to be mad at Bomi since she didn’t tell the older girl her big secret either. Her overprotective cousin would definitely hunt her ex-boyfriend down. Considering how she’s actually a trained cop equipped with probably 101 techniques to finish off someone, Bomi would probably mince the now married man to pieces.

 

At the same time, Hayoung was also worried about how Bomi was going to take the news that she was dating Namjoo. So after coming to a consensus, both Namjoo and her had agreed to keep their relationship under wraps for the time being.

 

Hayoung broke out of her reverie when she felt the slight shifts from Namjoo. The half-awake girl stifled a yawn and stared at Hayoung blankly. “What time is it?” she asked.

 

“7.23 in the morning.”

 

“Oh.” Namjoo rubbed her eyes before pulling herself up to rest her back against the headboard. “I’m going to make breakfast.” She eased herself off the blanket but Hayoung held her wrist to stop her action. She shot the latter a puzzled look. “Is something wrong?”

 

“Let’s go out for breakfast.”

 

Namjoo cocked an eyebrow. “Not worried Bomi unnie will catch us?”

 

Crestfallen, that was the expression spreading across Hayoung’s face. Namjoo let out a small chuckle and ruffled her dispirited girlfriend’s hair. “I was just kidding baby. Let’s go. But I don’t have spare clothes.”

 

“I’ll lend you mine. Like how I lent you my pyjamas,” Hayoung responded, a tad too excitedly, drawing giggles from her girlfriend.

 

“That would be just be lovely, Hayoungie.”

 

 

 

 

 

Planted to the chair in the pantry, Eunji was absently stirring her mug of coffee, occasionally releasing a few sighs, as if something was bothering her.

 

“Whatchu thinkin’ about yo,” Krystal sang out as she slapped her cousin’s back.

 

The reckless action almost caused Eunji to spill her coffee over the table. Annoyed by the sudden appearance of the pesky redhead, Eunji shoved her middle finger at the younger girl.

 

“Oh my god, that obscene gesture is like to my eyes.”

 

The brunette rolled her eyes. “Stop talking garbage.”

 

“Says the queen of garbled speech,” Krystal snickered.

 

“F off, Soojung.” The brunette obviously had no patience to entertain the redhead.

 

“Too late to filter your words, unnie,” Krystal laughed as she settled on the chair next to Eunji. “What’s been bothering your puny brain, unnie?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter