Green

Playing With Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She spun round and struck her first attacker with her helmet, causing him to fall backwards. Another man came charging towards her and she kicked him straight in his chest. A stream of blood spurt out from his mouth. Bomi scrunched her face in disgust. "Eww, that's disgusting!"

 

Then, three more men started appearing in her line of sight.

 

What the is this, me against the world?

 

She managed to dodge a punch from the third attacker and turned with his punch, cocking a straight right fist and fired it square into his nose. His head snapped back, and blood sprayed from beneath her knuckles as he lost his balance.

 

"Is your nose made from bricks!" she yelled before swiftly grabbing another man who was about to strike a blow at her. She had him in a headlock, sprayed his eyes with her pepper spray that she kept in her pocket. He groaned in pain, frantically rubbing his eyes as she let him go. Her right hand curled into a fist and she gave him a hellacious punch at his right rib cage. She was sure it cracked a rib.

 

Before she could fight her last attacker, a black SUV entered the carpark and stopped in front of them. The last attacker opened the car door, and gave a 90° bow when the driver got out.

 

Decked in black, Hanbin flashed a smile. "Hello Yoon Bomi, it has come to my attention that you've been a rather outstanding performer even though you just joined us."

 

"So you sent your men to test my fighting skills?" Bomi demanded, crossing her arms in disgruntlement.

 

His eyes flickered to the four men on the ground. His lips curled into a smug smile. "You passed the test. Congratulations."

 

Bomi rolled her eyes. She said sarcastically, "Thanks."

 

"Someone as capable as you deserve a better position in this organization," he remarked. "I have a job for you."

 

At that, Bomi's ears perked up. "What job?"

 

"There's some goods that you have to deliver tomorrow night."

 

"What goods?"

 

"That's not important. Are you up for it?"

 

"Absolutely."

 

"Great. Get in. I'll tell you all about it."





 

"Hey Senior Officer Choi, I just saw Naeun. She came to meet you?"

 

Seunghyun nodded. "She didn't want to be reinstated, so I decided to let her go."

 

Bomi's eyes widened. "You mean she quits being a cop?"

 

"Yeah. I can't do anything since she's insistent."

 

"That's not fair," Bomi groaned. "I want to quit too."

 

"You can, after you're done with your job. So anyway, you told me there's goods for you to deliver tonight. Do you need me to send anyone to follow you?"

 

"No. I think I'll be fine. I have a strong feeling they're testing me. They want to know whether I'm a mole or one of them."

 

"If that's the case, they're going to send one of their own to check on you."

 

"Yep, don't worry. I'll be fine."

 

"Be careful, Officer Yoon. If anyone attacks you, you-"

 

"Yeah, pepper spray, I know. That came in really handy last night."

 

"I'm glad you're unharmed."

 

"What can I say, I'm Ironman's counterpart," Bomi joked.





 

Bomi sat on the stool at the end of the bar and began to draw circles on the suitcase with her finger. She had no idea who would be taking the suitcase from her. She assumed it would probably be one of Hanbin's men that she had never met before.

 

For now, all she knew was that the person would ask her a question and she had to give the correct answer. It was meddlesome to remember the answer since it was long.

 

"You seem like you're bored, young lady," said a stranger to Bomi.

 

Bomi looked up and stared at the stranger. She had black hair with yellow tips. "The club reeks of sweat. I hate this place."

 

The stranger laughed and took a seat beside Bomi. "What are you doing here then?"

 

"Waiting for a friend," Bomi lied. "You?"

 

"Me too," she replied, her eyes travelling to the black suitcase underneath Bomi's elbows. "What do you think of Oscar Wilde?"

 

A realization came upon Bomi with the impact and terror of lightning strike. The person she had to hand the suitcase over to was the lady beside her! Clearing , Bomi responded, "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

 

A smile tugged at the stranger's lips. "Nice to meet you, Yoon Bomi-ssi. You look terrified after realising I'm the one you're supposed to meet."

 

"I was just shocked," Bomi said awkwardly. "I assumed it was gonna be a guy."

 

"Well, I'm glad I came as a surprise." She took the suitcase Bomi handed to her. "Hope to see you again, Yoon Bomi-ssi." The stranger stood up and walked away.

 

From the second level, another man was watching them intently. He took out his phone and dialled a number. After two rings, someone picked up at the other end of the line. "The delivery was done smoothly. No suspicious activity detected around here. She's clean."





 

Hayoung decided to drop by the hospital to get her stitches removed. She planned to visit her brother too since she hadn’t visited him for two weeks. As she walked in the building, she noticed Namjoo talking to another guy in a white coat, presumably a doctor too. They seemed to be talking rather cheerily, and before he went off, he ruffled Namjoo’s hair. Namjoo playfully swatted his hand away.

 

The paralegal looked away momentarily before slowly approaching Namjoo.

 

"Hello, Miss Oh Hayoung," Namjoo greeted the paralegal with a warm smile. "Busy lately? I haven't see you in a while."

 

"Yeah. I've been busy with work."

 

"Are you going to visit your brother now?"

 

"The stitches..." Hayoung trailed off.

 

"Oh right, it's been two weeks hasn't it? Here, come in," the doctor gestured to Hayoung to enter the room. "Sit on the bed. I'll get the items to clean your wound and remove your stitches."

 

Hayoung removed her blouse and settled on the bed. Namjoo returned with a bottle of antiseptic, cotton balls and forceps in a tray. Pouring some antiseptic on the cotton ball, she began to clean the wound, removing the encrusted blood and loosened scar tissue.

 

Grabbing the sterile forceps, she began to pick the knot of each stitch. During the removal process, she decided to talk to the paralegal. "How long have you been smoking, Hayoung?"

 

"Long enough to be have stage 4 lung cancer."

 

"Don't be so morbid."

 

“I didn’t know you have a boyfriend.”

 

“Boyfriend?” Namjoo asked, furrowing her eyebrows. “I don’t have a boyfriend.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Once Namjoo was done, she placed an adhesive strip over the wound. "Done," she said with a smile. "You can put on your blouse now, I'll be right back."

 

Hayoung put her blouse back on and waited for Namjoo to return. When Namjoo came back in, she ruffled Hayoung's hair, then handed a box of almond and chocolate flavoured pepero to the latter.

 

Hayoung shot the doctor a puzzled look. "What's this for?"

 

"For being a good girl. You were behaving well when I removed the stitches."

 

"I'm not a kid," Hayoung muttered as she stared at the green box.

 

"I though

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter