Decisions

Playing With Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hayoung-ah,

 

By the time you read this, I'm probably already gone from the world.

 

Please don't blame yourself. It's my decision to do this.

 

Naeun came to me after you found out about her real identity and set her free. You have no idea how mad I was at her.

 

But she loves you (maybe not as much as you love her because you're such a fool kekeke sorry I'm trying to sound a bit more lively). If she didn't love you, she wouldn't have come to me to ask for help.

And in case you're wondering, I didn't tell her your brother is still alive. That secret will be safe with me.

 

We both know how ruthless Krait is. He won't believe Mino is the undercover cop. He'll figure out that you're protecting someone. So I've decided to tell him that I'm the undercover cop.

 

Hayoung-ah, if there's one thing I regret, it would be not stopping from you taking on this path. I don't regret helping you, but I wish I had persuaded you to choose a better path instead and help you from there. I'm sorry for lacking so much as a friend.

 

Like you've once told me, us criminals have no place in the society.

 

There's still so much time and chances for you to change your fate. I don't want your days to be numbered like how your brother's is. Well, at least he's still alive while I'm already gone by the time you find this letter.

 

Please, listen to me just this once. Switch sides, because I'm no longer around to help you. Naeun can help you better. And at least you'll be working with the right people too.

 

That's my final wish for you.

 

My journey ends here. I know I won't live to see the next day once I meet Krait.

 

Don't make my self-sacrifice go to waste okay? Otherwise my spirit will haunt you down kekeke.

 

Yours sincerely,

P.S.Y





 

Hayoung watched the flock of birds scatter into the air, swooping through the cloudless blue sky as she approached the vacant bench in the open space located within the hospital premises.

 

Once she settled down, she watched the birds flutter and soar, her heart lifting as they flew far away, disappearing into the distance.

 

Switching sides.

 

Hayoung had been changing and re-changing her mind since she read Sooyoung's letter.

 

The young paralegal let out a deep breath.

 

She didn't want to think about it for now.

 

After visiting her brother, she dropped by the paediatric ward to give Yeri the box of pepero. The child didn't look too healthy. She looked more gaunt and pale as compared to the previous week. Hayoung didn't have a good feeling about it, but she dare not ask.

 

Despite her appearance, Yeri was still energetic and chatty. She even fed Hayoung some pepero sticks again.

 

Hayoung went to find Namjoo afterwards. She found the same male doctor talking to Namjoo, and caught him ruffling her hair again. Yet this time, Namjoo didn't swat his hand away.

 

The young paralegal didn't like what she saw. So she decided not to bother Namjoo.

 

"What's your story, morning glory?"

 

Hayoung broke out of her trance and was pleasantly surprised to see Namjoo sitting beside her. She cracked a small smile. "When did you come?"

 

"Maybe about one second ago," Namjoo chortled. "You're here pretty early."

 

"I decided to have an early lunch."

 

"So have you had lunch?"

 

Hayoung nodded, then glanced at Namjoo nervously. "Do you want to go out with me?"

 

"Are you asking me out?" Namjoo asked, amused.

 

"Y-yeah?" Uncertainty in the paralegal's voice.

 

"Sure," Namjoo smiled, placing a hand on Hayoung's thigh, causing the latter to jolt slightly. "When?"

 

"Saturday," Hayoung responded in a soft voice. Her eyes darted to the hand on her thigh.

 

"Ah, I'll be working till late night," Namjoo gave an apologetic look. "I'm free on Sunday though."

 

"I'll fetch you after work."

 

Hayoung seemed insistent on meeting Namjoo on Saturday. Namjoo wanted to ask if there was any special occasion, but she decided not to at the last minute.

 

"Alright, I'll be waiting for you then," the doctor smiled.





 

Bomi and Seung Won had been fishing at the pier. They managed to catch a number of big fishes with Seung Won's superb fishing skills, where the tides were high and the pier bore the full brunt of the afternoon sun.

 

"So, have you always loved fishing?” Bomi asked as she fanned herself with the newspapers.

 

“It’s another hobby of mine, apart from reading," Seung Won replied as he attached the bait onto the hook before casting his line. "What’s your hobby, Bomi?”

 

“I don’t really have a hobby.”

 

He arched an eyebrow and started to slowly drum his fingers on the armrest of his foldable chair. “So, you don’t do anything when you’re free?”

 

“I hang out with my friends… does that count?”

 

“Like dropping by my daughter’s office in the afternoon or evening almost everyday?”

 

“H-how did you know?”

 

“My daughter tells me many things,” Seung Won smiled. “She seems to take a huge interest in you. And it’s been a long while since she has felt this way towards someone. I hope you’re not playing with her feelings, Yoon Bomi-ssi.”

 

“I can assure you that I’m not.”

 

"Do you intend on staying as a freelance investment broker till retirement, Yoon Bomi-ssi?"

 

"I guess so. I prefer flexible working hours."

 

"You're an interesting person," Seung Won remarked.

 

"Your daughter told me you love reptiles. Is there any specific species that you like?"

 

Upon hearing that question, Seung Won stopped drumming his fingers and turned to look at Bomi. "What do you think of reptiles, Bomi?"

 

"I don't really have an opinion about them."

 

"Seems like reptiles are rather underrated, aren't they?"

 

"Many people are scared of them since they're mostly venomous."

 

"Then why do people still live on the edge when they know there is a long way to fall?"

 

The question caught Bomi off guard and she couldn't think of a response. Why did she feel like Seung Won was directing the question at her?

 

"Seems like I asked a tough question," Seung Won chuckled. "Let's just continue fishing, shall we?"

 

"O-okay."





 

"Chorongie unnie!" Bomi whined as she rushed to the older girl and settled on the latter's lap.

 

“Why do you always sound so whiny everytime you come here?” Chorong asked with a playful smile. "So how was fishing with my father in the afternoon?"

 

"It was okay I guess. I'm just glad it's over now." Bomi sounded extremely relieved.

 

A small chuckle escaped Chorong's mouth. She wrapped her arms around Bomi's slim waist and inhaled t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter