Resolved (somehow)

Playing With Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You've known it all along? So our relationship has been a lie?" Bomi asked in disbelief.

"You're one to speak," the older one spat, "You don't even love me Bomi. You came to me because you want to expose me. You want to take down my dad's criminal organization."

 

“I-”

 

"I run a background check on everyone who get close to me, Yoon Bomi. Eunji was clean. But you," she pointed at the brunette disapprovingly, "happened to be the one with a loophole."

 

“Remember you told me to toss the coin if I didn’t know who to pick? Eunji was the one who came to mind, not you Bomi." That lodged a spear in the brunette's heart. “I have to admit, I was uncertain of a future with her. But one thing I know for sure, she was clean, whereas your identity was still ambiguous back then. I didn't want to associate myself with someone who probably doesn't have a clean record. So I decided to give Eunji another shot. And when I was on my way, I got a call from my reliable source, informing that you were previously a regular patron of the gambling dens we run. And during that course of time, several dens were raided.” A period of silence settled between them, before Chorong continued, “After the news, I decided I wasn’t going to drag Eunji down with me in this illegal business. You’re spying on me, and I figured I should play along too to see how far you can go.” She drew a sharp breath. “If you think my dad’s meticulous, I’m definitely ten times more than that.”

 

Bomi swallowed the lump in her suddenly dry throat. "Does your dad know...?"

"If I go to him right now to confirm his suspicions, you'll be dead," Chorong responded indifferently. There was a flash of relief across Bomi’s face which Chorong failed to catch since it happened in the blink of an eye. "You're so easy to follow around. Which is a shame considering how long you've worked as an undercover cop. You're not that skilful I might add."

 

Bomi’s eyes flitted to the ground in shame. But there was something else more crushing than that - the realization that their relationship was built upon lies. She figured that she needed to be honest this time. “Everything may have started with a lie, but my feelings aren’t. I love you,” she admitted in a small voice, her gaze slowly drifting up. “You have no idea how much I’ve struggled trying to keep my feelings at bay. I’ve been putting myself in constant denial because I didn’t want to find out that you’re involved."

 

Chorong didn't say anything. Seconds - minutes ticked. Bomi shivered as icy cold wind gushed past her. She waited, and waited for the person standing in front of her to say something but it seemed like she was not going to get anything out of the latter.

 

"We used each other, Bomi," Chorong finally stated. Her answer was sharp and brutally true.

 

But there was one pressing question which Bomi needed to hear the answer. “Do you love me?” she managed to ask in a raspy voice, as if she was on the brink of bursting out in tears for an inexplicable reason.

An unreadable expression appeared on Chorong’s face, and she looked away, fixing her eyes on her nails. "My dad has been putting you through so many tests," she looked up to the brunette, "you’ve noticed that, haven’t you?” Bomi nodded. “He doesn’t trust you. He’s testing your loyalty. Because you’re dating me - his daughter.”

 

“You’re still not answering my question,” Bomi pointed out.

 

Another batch of silence set in. “I’m the mole, Bomi,” Chorong confessed. Several expressions passed over her face- anger, anguish, exhaustion, resignation. She took in a deep breath, then exhaled a weary sigh. “I’m tired. I just want out. This was never the path I wanted, Bomi. My dad - he’s a loving father and husband but he’s a tyrant in this business. The only reason why I joined him was because he’s my dad. We didn’t have it all it easy. My dad took years to build his empire. When I found out you came to me just because you wanted to spy on me, I was so angry. I felt utterly betrayed. So I decided to do the same to you, until I started developing feelings for you. I wasn’t sure if your feelings for me were still untrue, but I couldn’t stop myself from falling in deeper. And at the same time, my conscience was haunting me. I didn’t want to be in the illegal business anymore. So I’ve been giving the anonymous intel to the police, because I know if there was someone who can back me up, it would be you. You’re the shining light in the abyss of my life.”

 

An indescribable feeling washed over Bomi, and the brunette edged closer toward Chorong. Closing the gap between their faces, she pressed her lips on Chorong’s.

 

The kiss was short, but for the first time, it felt genuine. A smile formed on her lips, and she felt Chorong returning the smile. A moment later, both pulled away from the kiss at the same time.

 

Sensing the looming awkwardness, Bomi quickly attempted to drive it away. “Does your dad ever get himself involved in any of the businesses? Like directly involved, meaning he’s physically there when the trade happens?”

 

Chorong cleared , seemingly to have picked up what Bomi was trying to do. “He never shows up. He can’t let himself get caught red-handed Bomi. How else do you think he managed to survive all these years?”

 

“He revealed his identity to me. He knows that’s a big risk.”

 

“He’s willing to take that risk because he has nothing to lose.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“He doesn’t know you’re an undercover cop yet. Even if he told you he trusts you, he’s lying. The only people he really trusts are Sungjae, Seulgi and me.”

 

“Why does he trust them so much?”

 

“Because they’re my cousins,” Chorong sighed.

 

And Bomi mentally asked herself why she hadn't thought of that before. Or how she didn't even think of investigating the relationship among Seulgi, Sungjae and Seung Won.

 

“Look, you need to start keeping a lookout on your surroundings," the older one continued, "I can’t guarantee you I can protect you from my dad. Every member in the higher-ups are in danger but they are also trying to find ways to eliminate one another. I would say both you and Hayoung are in the red zone. None of the members can find out that you’re working for the police.”

 

"Then what are we supposed to do now?"

 

“There’s another social event coming up soon. My dad’s planning to have a trade done during the event.”

 

“How’s that going to send your dad to jail? He’s probably using that event to test each of the remaining member’s loyalty. Or what if it’s not even drugs in the first place?”

 

“His plan is to make you guys, meaning you, Jiyong, Chaerin and Taehyun that the four of you have to deliver the goods. He'll be handing you a bag or some sort containing those stuff, but the truth is, inside it are actually packets of flour, which is of course not to any of the four of your knowledge. He’s bringing them to cover up in case the police comes. And at the same time, he’s also testing the three of them, or maybe you as well. Again. If the police comes to bust the trade, all they can find is flour. The one who’s carrying the real drugs is actually Sungjae. He’s doing the one who will be doing the real trade.”

 

“Did your dad tell you all these?”

 

“If he told me all these, and the real trade gets busted, won’t I be the most suspicious one then?” Chorong gave the younger a look. “I told you, remember? That if my dad’s meticulous, then I’m ten times more than that.”

 

That sent a shiver down Bomi’s spine. She had never expected Chorong to be capable of being so dangerous.

 

“Sungjae needs to be taken down first. With him down, my dad would only be left with Seulgi and me, but she will highly likely be the next suspect.”

 

“What makes you think you’re not going to be the one he suspects next?”

 

“I just want to believe that my own father will trust me. I need to believe that.”





 

"Hey baby, not going to sleep yet?" Namjoo asked over the phone after hearing a soft yawn from the other end of the line.

 

"I am soon," Hayoung responded in an almost quiet voice. "How's your day?"

 

"As usual. How about yours?"

 

"Manageable." The paralegal yawned again.

 

Namjoo cracked a smile. "You should sleep, Hayoung."

 

"Mmm, later. Sorry I couldn't meet you today,” Hayoung stated apologetically.

 

"It's okay. The phone call makes up for it," Namjoo giggled. "Oh by the way, a new doctor got transferred to the hospital today. Technically not so new since she's more senior than me… I like her name too. It’s-," the doctor paused after hearing soft snores - Hayoung had probably fallen asleep. "Goodnight baby. I love you," she ended with a chuckle.

 

After placing her phone on the bedside table, she headed to the kitchen to get a glass of milk. To her surprise, she found her older cousin sitting on the floor, legs outstretched and back against the refrigerator.

 

"Is something wrong?" Namjoo inquired, snapping the older one out of he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter