17 Stay With Me

Rules of the Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How could you not tell me that you signed up for the sports’ event?”

Classes had ended for the day. The entire day Jungkook seemed bothered and didn’t really talk to me, which everyone else seemed to notice. V had tried to intervene and question what was wrong, but I didn’t want to bring up what happened and it seemed like neither did Jungkook.

It wasn’t until Mr. Kim had ended classes for the day and Jungkook asked if I could stay after to talk.

“What do you mean? Was it wrong for me to not tell you?” I was sitting at my desk and he had pulled up a seat to sit in front of me.

His eyes seemed conflicted and the slightest hint of hurt was present. “I’m your boyfriend. It would make sense for you to tell me these sort of things.”

I wasn’t the type to be told what to do and operate on someone else’s command. So his words made my chest burn. “Can’t I participate if I want to?”

It was frustrating. The only reason why I had decided to participate was because I didn’t want to force him into doing anything. If he didn’t want to participate and try to win the tickets I wasn’t going to ask him of that.

Clearly he didn’t see that though. Instead his face twisted into a grimace. “You can participate, but it’s just something small that you could mention, like talking to me about how your day was.”

This just made me sigh. I carried the weight of my head in my hands. “I barely even decided to participate last minute yesterday. I was going to tell you.”

Jungkook seemed even more frustrated though. His body leaned forward over the small desk. He let his arms fold together on top of the desk. “When were you planning on telling me then? Before or after Jimin’s announcement that he was going to take you if he won? You guys are even on the same team! Did you know how that was going to make me feel?”

He seemed earnestly upset and even though his arms were crossed I could see his fists clenched together. “Jungkook, I didn’t even know he was planning on participating. I just found out yesterday after I had already signed up.”

He scoffed rolling his eyes to look away from me. “So you did know. I know Jimin he must have told you.”

I swallowed the lump in my throat. He wasn’t wrong. “He did tell me.”

In response Jungkook’s chest collapsed in a deep sigh. “You could have pulled out of the competition, but you decided to still participate while knowing that he was going to try and win.”

Even though he was sitting only mere inches away from me he never seemed so far in that one moment. He had his gaze down, but then he looked up with betrayed eyes.

“Lia, is this some kind of game to you? I don’t want to ask it, but are you trying to make me jealous or something?”

I opened my mouth in shock. How could he come to that conclusion? “If you are, then it’s working because all of my insides are on fire and right now I don’t know if I should be mad at you or lock you in my room so no one can take you.”

Still shocked from what he was saying my cheeks flared red. I reached across the desk to unravel his arms and lace my fingers through his. He clenched onto my fingers tightly so our woven fingers could not be broken from each other. “No! What are you even talking about? I’m not interested in Jimin at all.”

His fingers squeezed mine almost as if he was making sure they were still there. “Doesn’t seem like it. Besides, you liked him first. I know it’s hard to get over old feelings.”

Completely baffled by what he was saying I was desperate to make him understand that he was the only person I was looking at. Jimin was the first person that I liked, but Jungkook was different. I could not get over him or my feelings for him ever. No matter how hard I tried to not like him I could never deny how I felt about him.  

In one swift movement with my free hand I grabbed onto his school tie then yanked him forward. For one split second I saw his eyes widen, but before he could say anything I crashed my lips against his.

I could feel his body tense, but almost instantly he responded to my action by releasing our hands so then he could cup my face in his hands. His lips were soft and not oppressive. They were welcoming and allowed me to feel every single ounce of his emotions.

From underneath the table I felt his foot tap mine teasingly. I laughed against his lips, which made him break the kiss with a single breath for air. He was smiling at least now. “I really don’t know how to feel now after that.”

I bit my lip the ghost of his lips still on mine. “Jeon Jungkook my eyes are only on you. There are so many things I want to do with you that I never even imagined doing with Jimin. All I want to do is spend time with you. I signed up because I want to go to the amusement park with you. You said you didn’t want to sign up so I figured that I could get the tickets for us.”

After what I said his face dropped and I could see the apology in his eyes. “Why didn’t you tell me you wanted to go? I definitely would have signed up if you wanted me to.”

Despite how there was a slight air of seriousness I smiled to try and ease the frown on his face. “I don’t want to be that girlfriend that forces their boyfriend to go out of his way to do stuff for her. This relationship is between two people not one.”

This made Jungkook groan and bury his face in his arms. “Lia, I want to do everything for you though. I know that I don’t express it as much as I should, but I really like you.”

He paused so then he could repeat himself. In the cutest way he looked up at me then reached his fingers to meet mine again. “I really like you Cho Lia. I know I don’t show it as much as I should, but I do. So I want you to tell me everything that is on your mind. This relationship is between two people.”

I let his fingers play with my hand. “I can’t read your mind Lia.”

My heart was beating senselessly by that point and all I could see was the guy in front of me playing with my fingers as if it was second nature to him.

At that moment my phone started buzzing. Startled I jumped a bit then pulled my hand out of Jungkook’s to check my phone. It was Jimin.

I had to still go clean.

Before I could look up Jungkook had already stood up. He reached his hand out for mine. “Come on. I’ll walk you there.”

It was the first time he had initiated holding my hand while walking together. “Thanks.” I let my hand disappear in his and he walked me to the gym as he said he would.

The walk there was silent, but it wasn’t a bad silence. I felt relived that everything was out there in the open, but I could still feel something bubbling beneath the surface. Something that was still bothering Jungkook.

Once the gym was upon us instead of just stopping at the doors he walked me all the way inside where Jimin stood waiting in the center of the gym.

He had turned when he heard the doors to the gym open, but his eyes turned dark once he saw Jungkook holding my hand.

Jungkook released my hand then turned to me with a smile on his face. “I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

He then pulled me in for a soft kiss that was brief, but definitely was long enough for Jimin to remember. After pulling away he then leaned forward ever so slightly. “I definitely won’t let him win Lia.”

Satisfied with his last words Jungkook let his hand trail down my arm to squeeze my hand affectionately before leaving.

My cheeks were still hot from the effect of Jungkook by the time I walked up to Jimin. I cleared my throat. “Sorry I’m late. Is there anything I can do before we got to the dance studio?”

I was trying my best to pretend that Jungkook didn’t just purposefully kiss me in front of Jimin, but Jimin completely ignored my attempt. “Wow, Jungkook really hasn’t changed. He’s still childish.”

This ticked me off. “He’s childish? You’re the one that made a scene in our class today. You even blatantly said you would take me to the park if the scholarship students won. I don’t remember agreeing to that. I told you I would think about it.”

 Jimin shook his head smiling, but more in disbelief. “Lia I’m not stupid. I knew you were going to tell me no in the end.”

The bluntness in his words surprised me. “That’s why I had to make Jungkook accept this as a challenge. He’s always been a competitive person. So I knew the only way to have a chance to go with you was to make him accept my challenge so then when I win I could take you and he could not say a single thing.”

Taken back by this new side to Jimin I stared at him searching for the Jimin that was sweet and cared more for others than even himself. “Jimin you know I am with Jungkook. I’m sorry that I can’t return your feelings, but none of this is fair to Jungkook.”

Jimin could only scoff. He crossed his arms. “Fair to Jungkook? Hasn’t things always been fair to him? I didn’t need to know whether or not you would want to go to the park. I already knew because it’s you. I’ve known you since you first came to this school. I’ve noticed you from the very beginning, not him.”

I stood there unsure what to say in response. He took a deep breath in an attempt to calm himself down. “Yet, it’s still always Jungkook. The game has always been in his favor even before this. It was always him.”

My chest was constricting because Jimin was a kind person. He was one of the first friends I made when I came to this school and he had always been there to help me, but the one time he needed something from me I could not give it to him.

All I could do was apologize. “I’m sorry.”

His face just twisted into a bitter smile. “Don’t apologize like that please. It makes me feel like if I’ve already lost.”

“Just give me a worthy chance if I win this competition.”

I opened my mouth to respond, but then in that moment the gym doors opened and in came Suga with a basketball in his hands.

His face was a bit startled to catch us there, and his eyes darted between Jimin and me a few times. Jimin though immediately began to make his leave. “I’m sorry Lia I would rather not talk to you until you properly consider me. I’ll do the rest of the cleaning until then also.”

He then gathered his things then exited the gym not sparing Suga a glance.

Still feeling the after-shock of Jimin’s words I stood in the center of the gym motionless. I didn’t even notice Suga in front of me until he cleared his throat to get my attention.

“Wow, you really are something Cho Lia.”

My eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter