07 Reason

Rules of the Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hasn’t Jungkook been acting weird lately?”

Minyoon and I were once again hiding behind our math books pretending to listen to Mr. Kim’s lecture.

I shrugged nonchalantly. “What do you mean?”

She raised her eyebrows in utter disbelief then proceeded to point in Jungkook’s direction. “Seriously, look at him Lia. That is not the regular Jungkook we know.”

Just to appease her I looked in his direction to see that for once he wasn’t asleep. Most of the time he would be asleep by this point in Mr. Kim’s lecture, but instead he was leaning forward in his seat paying close attention. His pencil was ready in his hand writing away whenever to take notes on the lecture.

Ever since we had made the deal he suddenly got serious not only during our tutor sessions, but in class. I guess it would be a lie if I said I didn’t notice the change.

“Ok maybe he’s been acting a little bit different. Hey are you even listening?”

Minyoon had been gazing affectionately at Mr. Kim. My voice made her turn back to me with a glazed over look in her eyes. “Oh I’m sorry I was just so distracted by Namjoon. Is it just me or does he look exceptionally fine today?”

This made me roll my eyes. “No, he looks normal to me and I told you to stop calling him by his first name it’s weird.”  

She stuck her tongue out. “Whatever, you’re no fun.” I sighed shaking my head. “Can’t you actually like someone your own age?”

In response she just leaned forward resting her face on her arms, looking back to Mr. Kim or as she called him Namjoon.“You just don’t understand Lia. When you fall in love with someone you’ll get it.”

“Isn’t love a strong word to use? Even I can’t say that I love Jimin. I just really like him. I mean we’re only in high school.”

Minyoon just shook her head an amused smile on her face. “Never mind let’s just forget it. Anyways, speaking of Jimin I heard that he finally returned to classes.”

My eyes widened in shock. “Really?!” The anxious feelings rushing through my chest made me speak just a bit louder than I meant to.

Luckily Mr. Kim didn’t hear me, except for Jungkook sitting at the table next to us. He cleared his throat then leaned over the aisle to whisper to me. “Hey can you be quieter? Some of us actually want to learn.”

I rolled my eyes pushing him back over to his side of the aisle. “Whatever Jeon Jungkook. Just focus on your work then and stop listening in on other people’s conversations.”

He scoffed folding his arms across his chest. “You’re the one that’s talking loud enough for the whole world to hear.”

I whispered back to him my eyebrows furrowed together in frustration. “You’re the one who doesn’t understand the idea of minding their own business.”

This only made him drop his pencil then turn his body to face me fully. He placed his hands on his lap then leaned his body forward to emphasize his words to me as if I were stupid or something. “It’s not like I want to know about your undying obsession with Jimin, so why would I listen?”

I gasped facing him now too, my voice slightly raising. “I’m not obsessed with Jimin.”

His eyebrows raised in response and a smile of pure amusement spread across his face. “Really that’s all you two ever talk about during class, and it seems like you want to spend all your time with him too.”  

“What are you talking about? I hardly talk about Jimin. Besides I was just worried about him recently since he’s been out for a while.”

He raised his hands. “Says the girl who probably only likes him for his looks. Do you even know anything about him?”

Minyoon was tapping my arm and saying something to me, but I ignored it completely. All of my attention was on Jungkook. “I know stuff about him!”

He rolled his eyes. “Like what?”

My eyebrows furrowed in concentration. All I could recall was just the stuff that he told me the day we went to the restaurant. Honestly, before that I really knew nothing about him. “Well, I know that he really loves his family and what not.”

“Really? What about his hobbies and passions. Or even what he believes in, like his morals. Do you know any of that?” He was leaning closer and closer to me with every one of his words because he knew that he was winning the argument.

Our faces were closer than normal by this point. I could feel his breath on my face. “You know what Jungkook-”

“Ehem.” Two hands separated Jungkook and I’s faces from each other. “Ms. Cho and Mr. Jeon would you two care to carry on your conversation not during my lecture?”

We both turned to see Mr. Kim standing in front of us, his eyes practically burning holes through us. I glanced at Minyoon to see her mouthing to me. “I was trying to warn you.”  

Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. Usually he didn’t get reprimanded, but after he took the fall for being in my room things had changed. “Sorry Mr. Kim we’ll continue our conversation later.”

Jungkook then turned to throw me a glance that said, “We’ll talk about this later.”

Mr. Kim let us off easy, but I could still feel the class continuing to glance in our direction. Great, more attention, exactly what I wanted.

After classes ended I said my good bye to Minyoon, and went straight to go do my cleaning. I intentionally ignored Jungkook on my way out of the classroom. Lately I would at least say something like, “See you later.”

I didn’t even look at him though. Who was he to tell me why I liked Jimin? I definitely liked him for more than his looks.

When I entered the gym I was for once the first to get there. It would be a lie if I said that I wasn’t disappointed, but I started cleaning anyways.   

For a little while Jimin hadn’t come in and so I began to question whether he really were feeling better and if he came to class or not.

Right as I really considered maybe calling him to see if he was feeling better or not the doors to the gym burst open.

Jimin came running in with his backpack strap falling off his shoulder slightly. I dropped the broom to the floor once he rushed up to me.

He leaned over his knees out of breath, barely managing to speak. “I’m sorry I’m late. I had to finish a project in my class. As soon as I finished I came running over here. I’m so sorry.”

By the end of his statement he was gasping for air again.

I was planning on letting him catch his breath then speak again, but I couldn’t help it at first it started as a slow chuckle and then I ended up laughing. My laughter echoed off the walls of the gym, and then soon Jimin joined in with me.

He ended up sitting on the ground, but he smiled up at me. “Why are you laughing?” I smiled in return, speaking in between my breaths. “You’re just so cute.”  

Once the words had left my mouth I realized what I really said. Oh crap.

His eyes seemed to grow a bit just as the amount of panic in me grew as well. I stumbled over my words. “Um, I mean that it’s just funny that you were worried. I hadn’t shown up to help you clean for at least three days unannounced, and yet you’re worried about coming late to help me?”

He finally came to his feet to then shove his hands in his pockets. His eyes became small upside down crescents. “Yeah, but I’ve left you alone for over a week. Anyways, here let me do this.”

I was going to bend over to pick up the broom, but he reached for it at the same time so his hand ended up wrapping around mine.

The palm of his hand was warm against mine, the comforting sort of warmth that I felt whenever I wrapped myself up in my blankets on a cold day.

It only lasted for a brief second though because as soon as his hand grabbed onto mine we both dropped the broom.

He cleared his throat. “Um sorry. Don’t worry I’ll finish up the sweeping.”

After that he began to sweep and ended the conversation, but before I could start something else I remembered that we never got to talk like he wanted to last week.

“Hey didn’t you want to talk about something before?”

The broom stopped short mid-sweep. His eyes cast up to meet mine after his brief pause. He was smiling at me again, which made me w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter