19 Sports Day pt. 2

Rules of the Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Alright! We’re going to take a break now from the games so then our participants can rest and eat a bit before we begin the finale for the Sports Day! So I encourage all of you to go buy our fresh kimbab rolls made by yours truly.” Jin smiled to himself.

“Just head over to the booth and Mr. Kim will help you out!” He then motioned to the booth where Mr. Kim was still putting out rolls frantically preparing for the onslaught of hungry students. He probably had set up the booth too.

Jackson began running towards the booth. “Oh my god I’m starving!” Everyone took that as their cue to follow after him and nearly terrify an unprepared Mr. Kim

I glanced over to see Jimin and Jungkook indiscreetly race each other there. They continued to throw dirty glares to one another. After them was Suga and Yugyeom. “It doesn’t matter if your legs are longer!”

Suga was shameless and he burst out into a full blown sprint while Yugyeom, just as shameless, chased after him.

Just then Jin appeared by my side. “I see you still are giving Mr. Kim a hard time. Is he your personal slave or something?”

It was definitely ironic for me of all people to say that.

Jin completely ignored my remark though and looked down at me a slight lilt to his voice as he spoke. “Don’t think I didn’t see you too.”

 “What do you mean?”  His words only confused me.

A smile formed on his face and all he could do was scoff at me, yet at the same time it seemed almost as if he were not demeaning me, but impressed. “You let them win. I honestly didn’t think you had it in you to cheat.”

The guilt surged through me like a current, but I tried to play dumb and pretend I didn’t know a thing. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I didn’t see Suga.”

His eyes were merciless, or maybe the guilt was just making me see things. “I was watching you the whole time. I saw you see Suga. You even stood there and watched him for a few moments before then going towards Jungkook.”

I gritted my teeth. I knew it was wrong of me to do, but I just couldn’t help it. In the last second I couldn’t let him lose.

Jin smiled. “I’m older than you kids for sure, but I’m not that old. I saw everything.”

Releasing one final breath I said it all in one shot. “Fine, you’re right. I saw Suga, but let him get the flag anyways.”

He shook his head at me. For once acting like an actual adult. “Do you really think you helped anyone when you did that?”

This only made my blood boil. It was this nurse’s fault in the first place! If it weren’t for his meddlesome ways trying to fix a problem that wasn’t even his then this competition would have never started.

I rolled my eyes to then look anywhere, but at the stupid nurse. “I rather not be lectured by a nurse that doesn’t know how to even mind their own business.”

Jin raised his hands in defense. “All I’m saying is that maybe what matters most is not if Jungkook wins, but what he will do if he loses.”

I was about to spurt back some snappy remark to him, but then Jungkook and Jimin came racing back to us standing in the center of the field.

Jungkook got there first. “I bought you one of the rolls!” Just as he said that Jimin shoved him out of the way. “No, don’t eat his. He’s the opponent so he must have poisoned it or something.” He then proceeded to give me a kimbab roll.

This only pissed Jungkook off though. “She’s my girlfriend! No way would I poison her!” Jimin shrugged. “You’re so competitive I wouldn’t put it past you.”

That was only followed by their banter and bickering.

Jin winced, but smiled at me anyways. “Well, I’m going to take this as my cue to leave. Seems like you have your hands full anyways.” He then nudged me his tone suddenly getting more serious than before. “Do take what I said to heart.”

He then walked off towards a panicking Mr. Kim, still under attack by hungry students.

Frustrated with how the both of them were acting I stepped in between them and took the roll out of Jungkook’s hand. “I’ll eat both of them.”

At this they both looked like they wanted to interject, but decided against it after seeing the look on my face. I just wanted them to get along again.

I plopped down on the grass and began to eat whether or not they were going to.

They both looked down at me hesitantly, but then followed suit and sat down. Clear grumbles of irritation was leaking out of the both of them. “Why do I have to eat with this guy?”

We continued to eat like that and soon they were at each other’s throats again. All of their arguing really made me begin to wonder what they were like as friends. Despite how they seemingly wanted to metaphorically kill each other though their fighting almost felt like two competitive friends.

After some time passed and we finished eating Jin got back onto the megaphone. “Alright we will be starting the last game soon so if everyone could begin to make way towards the gym!”

The games had to resume. This peace, or makeshift peace excluding Jimin and Jungkook’s arguing, couldn’t last forever.

We walked to the gym each guy on either side of me. By the time we reached the gym and walked in I was taken back by the number of people in the stands. The gym was full to the brim with students.

All of them were eager to see how all of this would end.

Jimin made way to the guys already waiting by our side of the court and Jungkook was about to go to his side, but unconsciously my hand reached out and grabbed onto Junkook’s warm hand.

He looked back to me with concerned eyes. “Is something wrong?”

There was something wrong. I had let him win when he asked me not to, all I could think about was what Jin said, and this was the end and I was nervous. I wanted to tell him I was sorry for going against our promise, and I wanted to ask him what he would do if he lost.

But my throat was dry and I couldn’t conjure up a single word.

With understanding eyes he smoothed out my worries by drawing small circles on the back of my hand, and he smiled at me. His eyes were sure and it steadied my heart. “I promise to win.”

That was all he needed to say, and he let go of my hand after giving me one last reassuring squeeze. It was his way of saying, “have faith in me.”

I did and that was why I had to give it my all. I couldn’t just let him win.

I walked over to stand beside my teammates just as Jin grabbed everyone’s attention. “Welcome everyone to the final game of the day!” The stands roared with cheers, and I was able to see Minyoon across the court standing beside V cheering.

Jin continued. “The last game of the day will be basketball, as you all know it is tradition. Although the rules are a bit different. There is no running clock, basically whichever team reaches 25 points first will win. Simple enough.”

I caught Jimin and Jungkook staring at each other from across the court. “The teams now will be given some time to warm up and decide on their starting line-up. After that we will begin the games and see who the winner is really. The scholarship students or the regular students?”

Both teams instantly set into action to determine their line-up immediately so then they could start warming up as quickly as possible.

Jimin spoke up first. “I don’t want Lia to play.” This shocked me. “What are you talking about I’m a part of the team too you know?”

Jimin shook his head though already rejecting my words. Bambam spoke as well. “No offense Lia, but we have all been practicing together for the last week or two so we have a flow with each other. You haven’t even practiced with us before. So if anything if you participate you most likely would make us do worse.”

JR piped up. “Again, no offense.” Jackson nodded adding on to their attempt of not making me feel bad. “Seriously, I mean like you were awesome in fencing and everything so it’s not like we don’t think you’re physically capable. It’s just we aren’t used to playing with you really.”

All of the members seemed to agree upon my sitting out. Besides they only needed five people on the court at once. I couldn’t argue with them it was eight against one.

I raised my hands. “Fine I understand I won’t play.” They then all smiled relieved that they hadn’t hurt my feelings and began to make way to warm up on our half of the court.

JB paused next to me as he followed the others onto the court. “Thank you for your sacrifice Lia. We will make sure it doesn’t go in vain.”

I sighed. That guy really was too competitive.

Jimin then was next to me and he nudged me. His eyes were suddenly confident as he looked at me. “I know you could do well, but I want you to see me win for yourself.” He smiled at me momentarily then followed the others.

My chest constricted from Jimin’s actions. I had never seen that kind of look in his eyes.

As I took my seat I saw why though. As he and the other members of the team warmed up I was amazed by how good they were, especially Jimin. They all had a natural athleticism, but Jimin especially his jumps were high his movement were fluid and nonstop. It was hard to even keep up with what he was doing.

I glanced over to the other side of the court to only be just as amazed. It was clear that they had all practiced together. Despite how the guys Jungkook had recruited were not as equally good as the scholarship students Jungkook, Suga, V, and Jhope more than made up for that.

I could see the experience in Suga and V’s movements, and Jhope’s feet were constantly moving to no fail. But, my eyes were constantly on Jungkook. His movements were quick and everything about him screamed athlete.

This game was going to be hard.

Jin then blew his whistle calling all starting team members on the court to get in their ready positions. Our line-up was Jimin, Yugyeom, Jackson, JB, and Mark. The others’ was Jungkook, Suga, V, Jhope, and one of the other regular students that was pretty decent at basketball.

Suga and Yugyeom met in the middle to tip off the ball.

Yugyeom snorted. “Ay shorty I think you’re in the wrong place.” This only made Suga smirk though. “That’s what you think.”

Right before the whistle blew and Jin tossed up the ball my heart clenched. It was beginning.

Both boys jumped for the ball and despite how Yugyeom was t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter