13 Worried

Rules of the Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook stood there, a wide smile on his face. Not the smile that made me want to punch him in the face, but the smile that made my legs feel all weak.

He turned back to Jungmi, who currently was holding her empty bowl with a shocked expression. “You should probably leave now.”

Jungmi was still shocked by what she had accidently done, but somehow she managed to gather herself. It looked almost like she was holding back tears. “You don’t understand though! She’s just a scholarship student, and on top of that I’m the one you asked to the dance. Not her.”

Her words were heavy in the air and by this point we had attracted a crowd. I could hear the whispers from the students. “Who is she anyways?”

“Isn’t she the girl that Jungkook carried out from the dance?”

“Yeah, it is. How does she know Jungkook?”

My face was turning redder by the second from people’s comments. Jungkook on the other hand seemed to notice nothing. Instead he kept his attention on Jungmi as he replied to her. “You’re the one I asked to the dance, but she’s the one that I care about.”

The crowd of people around us went ablaze into more gossip after what Jungkook said and Jungmi stood there dumb founded by his words.

I stood there just as shocked until suddenly I felt a hand wrap around my wrist and start to pull me away.

My gaze cast up to see Jungkook. I wasn’t sure what to say to him yet so I kept my eyes away from him and looked back behind me.

Jhope stood there and he looked as if he were still anxious to tell me something. The words seemed to be hanging off his lips, but Jungkook had already pulled me out into the hallway before anything else could happen.

By the time we were in the hallway he was still pulling me along. I stumbled on my words until finally managing to form a sentence in my mouth. “Where are we going?”

He snorted, clearly his sense of heroism was fleeting him as his sarcasm began to return. “The nurse’s office.”

“Nurse’s office?”

His head turned back to look at me so then I could see his uneasy smile. “The soup kind of burns.”

My eyes widened. “Are you serious?! You shouldn’t have jumped in front of me you idiot!”

“Hey! You shouldn’t call the person who just saved you from steaming hot chicken noodle soup an idiot!”

We were already making way into the nurse’s office, which was unoccupied once again. Where the hell was this nurse when we needed her?

Jungkook began searching through shelves for bandages. “Well, when the person who saved you is an idiot you are permitted to call them an idiot in my book.”

He groaned and then proceeded to wince as he reached for some bandages out of a higher cabinet. “You’re not even making any sense anymore.”

I sighed then realized he was still holding onto my wrist. My chest warmed. “Why did you do it anyways?”

“Do what?” He pulled out the bandages.

“You know what I’m talking about.”

Finally letting go of my hand so then he could his shirt he shrugged indifferently. “Why not?”

That was definitely not the answer I wanted. “So you jumped in front of thrown extremely hot soup because you thought, hey why not get burned by some really hot soup?”

His fingers undid the last of the buttons and he pulled off his collared shirt painfully to reveal his white t-shirt underneath. “Ok fine, I wanted to prove to you that I have my romantic side too.”

My eyes widened. “So you thought getting burnt by hot soup was going to prove that to me?”

“Well yeah you said one of the things you find to be romantic would be something like a person taking a bullet for you.” He pulled off his shirt making my cheeks heat up. I made sure to keep my focus away from the fact that Jungkook was currently shirtless.

Instead I saw the angry red marks on his chest and abdomen. “That’s idiotic! I didn’t literally mean that. I meant it more metaphorical, that it would be romantic if a guy would be willing to take a bullet. I didn’t literally mean that I want someone to jump in front of me and hurt themselves for me. That definitely only happens in the stories and totally isn’t worth it in the long run.”

This just made him laugh sarcastically as he rubbed in some cooling ointment on the burned areas. “Well, maybe you should have mentioned that before!”

 I crossed my arms. “Well, maybe you shouldn’t have even bothered!”

It was quiet after that and I just stood there as he tried to wrap the bandage around himself. Both of us were silent, but after a while of just watching him struggle to bandage himself up I spoke up.

“Didn’t you need me to nurse you?”

His lips pouted as he spoke, clearly trying to make me feel bad. “You’re mad at me so I figured that you probably wouldn’t be willing to help me anymore.” 

I scoffed. “You didn’t even ask me if I were going to help you in the first place.” He continued to struggle with the bandages. “See exactly, you’re mad at me so you would rather see me suffer than help.”

At first I just stood there with my arms crossed and watched as he struggled with the bandages, but then after a little while I let out a long sigh.

“Get on the bed.”

He chuckled clearly. “Wow Lia never thought you would be the assertive type, but if you insist my body is yours.”

This made my cheeks flare up intensely. “What? No! I mean I’m going to help you so sit on the bed because you’re a freaking giant!”

I stomped up to him and yanked the bandages out of his hands. He was still laughing so it was safe to assume that he was just teasing me. “I swear, you’re the worst.”

He hopped up onto the bed and leaned forward a bit so I could wrap the bandage around him. “Come on I can’t be that bad I literally took a bowl full of hot chicken noodle soup for you, and you give me no appreciation at all. Instead you get mad at me.”

My eyes were trained on the wall behind him instead of his body itself. “I’m not mad at you.”

“Yes you are.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes you are.”

His persistence made me groan inwardly. “I’m not mad. I was just frustrated.”

My fingertips slightly grazed the skin on his back, which made my heart jump. “How were you frustrated? There’s nothing to be frustrated about.”

I kept my gaze away from his. His eyes would only make me lose my train of thought. “There’s a lot for me to be frustrated about. You ended up getting hurt because you were trying to save me.”

I fastened the bandages around him finally. My fingers were nearly shaking form the nerves of being so near his bare skin. “Lia I didn’t try to save you. I chose to save you. Let’s get that straight.”

“Yeah, well, it’s not like I agreed with your choice.”

He slipped on his t-shirt that was wet still, but not as wet as his collared shirt. “Would you have rather the soup hit you instead?”

I wasn’t going to lie. Of course I wouldn’t choose being hit by the soup, but I didn’t want him to get hurt because of that. “Well, if I had to choose between me and you I would pick myself.”

He clasped his hands together. “Exactly, I would do the same, and so when the choice presented itself I chose myself. So don’t worry about it.”

He got up from the bed at that moment and then took his hand and patted my head just as he had done in the cafeteria. His hand smoothed over my hair.

“Just worry about yourself ok?”

The pressure of his hand on my head m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter