08 Pass or Fail

Rules of the Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It’s getting closer to the dance isn’t it?”

I put down my cloth. It was another day of cleaning with Jimin, and he had been arranging the shelf of CD’s, at least until he suddenly asked this question.

The dance was closing in on us, and so was the math test, but also with every day that the dance got closer Jimin began to act even more different.

He talked less to me, and barely ever looked at me. Even when he did talk to me it was over trivial things, it wasn’t like the same type of conversations we used to have. It was just odd.

This was the first time in a bit of a while that he actually sounded a bit like he used to when we would talk. “Yeah I guess the dance is getting closer. Is something up?”

I was waiting for him to turn around from the shelves and tell me why he had been acting so weird lately, but he didn’t so I went back to cleaning the mirror.

“Seriously are you ok Jimin? You haven’t been acting normal lately.”

He forced a laugh. “Stop worrying, you’re the one that’s just over thinking things.”

His failed attempt to lighten the mood worried me even more. Jimin was always lively or at least a ray of positivity, but now he only seemed closed off. “I know I’m not over-thinking things for a fact. You haven’t spoken really to me this whole week.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Finally done with his lying I set down my cloth again then walked over to him, and grabbed his shoulder to turn him so I could look him in the eyes.

In any usual case this would be practically impossible for me to do confidently, but my worry and frustration masked that nervousness. “Jimin tell me. Honestly, what’s wrong? I’m worried about you.”

His eyes were hesitant and seemed to be weighing whether to tell the truth or not. I squeezed his shoulder ever so slightly. “Just talk to me.”

My eyes willed him to tell me the truth. He cast his eyes to the floor instead of my face. “Well, the thing is-”

“Lia you’re here!” V rushed through the dance studio’s door with the same large smile on his face.

Jimin and I jumped away from each other in response. Damn it, I was so close from finding out the truth too.

Jhope and Suga followed in after V. Suga nodded his head in my direction while Jhope smiled politely as usual.

The boys’ presence seemed to make Jimin even more anxious though. He proceeded to grab his things from the corner of the room. “Hey, Lia the studio seems pretty clean now so I’ll just see you tomorrow bye.”

Keeping his head down Jimin almost ran out of the room. What was wrong with him?

V was ping his jacket. “Hey Lia who was that?”

I shook my head still confused by what was going on with Jimin. “It was Jimin. He helps me clean up after school.”

My expectation was for this to be a casual question, but then V stood up abruptly. “Park Jimin?” I shrugged nonchalantly. “Yeah, do you know him?”

He seemed like he was going to say something, but then Jhope jumped up at the same time as Suga, but Jhope was the first to speak. “No it was just a good guess. You know Park is a common last name.”

Their jumpy ness made me suspicious, but I decided to let it slide for the moment. I was more concerned about Jimin. “Ok, whatever.”

I then noticed something. “Hey where is Jungkook? Isn’t he off detention now?”

This made V smile as he began to stretch in the center of the floor. “Oh he said he would be coming to practice a bit later today.”

That was odd for him. If anything he would come to practice earlier than necessary if he could. “Why?”

Suga lazily plopped down next to V just to lay back and look at his phone, per-usual. “He said that the math test is tomorrow so he wanted to work in class with Namjoon for a little longer.”

I scoffed. “You call Mr. Kim Namjoon? Don’t tell me you have a crush on him too.”

This made Suga wretch in disgust. “Ew no! Don’t make me puke. I’ve known him since I was little that’s why I’m used to calling him by his first name. Sheesh.”

Jhope walked past me to stretch next to the others. “You know though Lia I really have to thank you I think you have been a really good influence on Jungkook. His studies in not only math, but his other classes have gotten better too.”

I gathered my things. “I’m pretty sure that wasn’t because of me. I only helped him with his math.”   

“Well, either way thank you for helping Jungkook. I’m sure he will do great on the test tomorrow.”

His words made my heart swell, not in the way where I had a crush on him, but it reminded me of my brother Kyung.

The nostalgia was almost too much to bear.

I dipped my head then made my way to the door. “Thanks, hopefully he does well.”

Suga yelled out to me from his position. “Hey! Where are you going?” His bluntness made me laugh. “I’m leaving obviously.”

He frowned at his phone screen. “Aren’t you going to watch our practice?” V jumped up from the ground. “Yeah you always do!”

I shook my head with a smile on my face. “Jungkook isn’t the only one taking that math test tomorrow you know. I have to study too.”

Jhope eased the other guys. “Come on she has to study. Let her be a responsible student, unlike you two.”

This made the guys jump on Jhope. Suga erupted. “I may be lazy, but I’m not as bad as Jungkook!”

“Yeah, come on that was just mean!” V crossed his arms.

I laughed at the how they were so quick to throw Jungkook under the buss. “Well, anyways you guys probably aren’t as bad as Jungkook. I have to go. Tell Jungkook that I’ll see him after he’s done.”

They all nodded, and I was about to take my leave when V suddenly stopped me. “Oh Lia! Your friend Minyoon… Um…”

Suga spoke for him. “He likes your friend and wants to know if she has a boyfriend.”

V gasped then proceeded to punch Suga’s arm. “How could you?!” That was a big mistake though because Suga instantly sat up. “Did you just punch me?”

V gulped. “Um… Sorry?”

Suga then proceeded to chase V around the room until he finally managed to catch him and get a few good punches in.

I had waited for them to finish to then answer his question. “She doesn’t have a boyfriend, but honestly I’m not sure if she likes you.” His face began to fall, which made me panic. So I frantically spoke.

“I mean I think she thinks you’re nice, but she likes really mature guys. And she kind of thinks your guys’ nicknames are stupid.”

Suga scoffed. “She’s stupid.”

I pointed to Suga. “Hey, she’s my friend and honestly I don’t understand the nicknames either.”

He retorted my words. “Well then you’re stupid too.”

I was about to blow up on him, but then V stopped us. “Hey! We’re talking about me and Minyoon right now!”

Suga raised his hands in defense.

I sighed. “Honestly, maybe you should choose someone else to like. She’s a bit too stubborn for her own good too.”

Suga quickly snuck into the conversation again. “Clearly.” I threw him a glare.

Despite my words V seemed unconvinced though. “Don’t worry about me Lia. I got this. Just make sure she doesn’t go to the dance with someone.”

Well, on one hand that would be pretty easy since Minyoon would only accept Mr. Kim as her date, but still.

I shook my head. “Ok, fine, but I’m telling you it’s pointless.”

He smiled at me though with his gummy smile. “Thanks! Go study now!”

Finally, taking my leave I waved bye to the guys then went back to my room to study for a couple hours. When I expected to receive a call or text from Jungkook that he was back at his room nothing came.

I frowned at how late the practice was running, but I continued to study.

After another hour passed by I began to worry, but I kept pushing it down. He’s fine, besides it’s Jungkook it shouldn’t even matter to you if he’s late. It’s not like you actually like helping him. Remember you’re doing all this against your will.

A while later I had even finished studying to the point where I was really confident with everything that was going to be on the test, but still nothing had come. So I decided to clean my room again to pass time.

What the hell was taking him so long?

My phone buzzed.

I jumped across the room and checked my phone quicker than I ever had before. It was him finally.

Hey, I’m back.

“That’s all you say after making me wait so long?! Who do you think you are?!”

I shoved my phone into my backpack then stomped out the door. I marched to his room. This guy was going to get a piece of my mind. He for sure was not going to get out with just a slap on the wrist for making me wait so long, then not even explaining why he was so late.  

His door came into my view. I nearly pounded down the door. No one answered so I pounded again even harder.

Finally the door eased open, but it was dark. My eyebrows furrowed. “What the hell?”

I cautiously stepped into the room, but then just as I fully entered the room the door closed behind me, which made me immediately scream then run back to where I figured the door was.

My body collided with something solid and then the lights . “Surprise!”

Jungkook had been what I bumped into, and he had his hand over the light switch, and a big smile on his face.

All the blood in my body must have rushed to my face. “What

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter